Check It: DADI |

 




Pickled Tink

Man, that Kelly Pickler is a breath of fresh air. And, if you don't know what I'm talking about, you are simultaneously fortunate and missing out.

I just finished watching the WSOP 2004 Main Event on ESPN Classic in which Raymer gives a sort of play-by-play regarding the action. I have to dub it the most enlightening and interesting thing to happen to televised poker since the WPT started. Amazingly, out of the 700 channels I get via cable, the Game Show Network (GSN) is not one of them, so I haven't seen an episode of High Stakes Poker yet. I hear its great, and I always felt that there would be a benefit to televising cash games, but until I see it, the jury is out.

As for the 2004 WSOP with Raymer commentary, I DVR'ed the program a month or more ago. Since Howard Stern left me for Sirius radio (and I'm still too cheap to buy Sirius...but I will), I've been watching a little bit of DVR'ed TV every morning as I get dressed. I like to DVR movies over night, and I just finished watching 'Red Dawn' for the first time. What a movie! It's by far the 2nd best collaboration between Jennifer Grey and Patrick Swayze.

But I digest. My point was, you can learn a heck of a lot more about a game listening to a player's commentary after the fact than you can watching the action. Raymer provides details on how many hands occurred between the hands actually shown, analysis on opponents' plays, and generaly insight into his strategies. I have to admit though, he came off as a bit too nice. I don't think he once said that a play made was a bad move, and always blamed it on bad timing for the play. Truth be told though, he backed up all of his statements, so at least his kindness is justified.

I'm looking forward to next years' DVD or ESPN show, featuring Tiffany Williamson commentary of her play in the WSOP 2006 Main Event. "Here was thinking a King and a Jack that missed the Ace-high board might still be good, because they are Suited! Also, I like the Jack because he is cute and he's kinda winking at me. I had to think for a good 20 minutes when I was raised all-in, mostly because I was confused. I mean, you can't spell any words with just a K and a J. This was the hardest game of Scrabble ever."

Where was I. Ah, poker. I've been playing badly lately. At the WWdn event, last night, (my first WWdn event), I was doing well until I moved from the "TV table" to a table with some familiar faces. I then proceeded to donk off most of my chips on a stupid hand. I held AhQc and raised pre-flop. A player who re-raised me preflop a bit earlier with the Hammer called my bet. The flop came down all hearts. With the nut flush draw, I bet out big. He called. On the turn, after missing the draw, I bet out big again. He called. I had about 550 left in front of me, and most of the chips were in the middle, offering great pot odds. I missed on the river and mekely checked. He pushed all-in. I folded, glad to last another hand...until he showed that he was drawing to the 2nd nut flush and had nothing else. I basically handed my money to this prag. I should have been more conservative in the first place. I then proceeded to push with the Hammer (a no-no in my book), and took down some blinds. I pushed again in a couple of hands with 88 and was called by AQ. He hit his Q and with 95 left, I pushed with the hammer again, knowing that I'd need a miracle because someone would call. Three people called, and one of them hit their Ace. That was all, folks.

I'm also running bad at the limit tables. I think I need to relax a bit, because it seems like variance more than anything. I have to remember to concentrate and stay on my game. I really have to play live. I almost forget what chips feel like.

I think that is all for me today. I believe I have a full roster for the 45-person SNG Challenge, but I need to confirm some information. Final decisions will be released today or tomorrow. Have a good one people.

Oh, and if you don't know, yo' ass better call somebody! DADI Shorthanded event, Monday at 9pm, $10+1 on PokerStars, password: BlogsAreGay.

posted by Jordan @ 10:16 AM,

6 Comments:

At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking forward to the challenge.

And collecting your money. :-)

 
At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Kaellinn. When you are done collecting my money, please count it, add your money, stick a rubberband around the whole bundle, and then mail it back to me. Because, buddy, all the dough is coming my way.

 
At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check out 45sngc for my thoughts on payout.

Sweet, sweet Kellie Pickler lives only minutes from me. Well, maybe 40 minutes, but still. I think we had 4 or 5 singers who live near me. NC rules American Idol. I can't believe I just typed that.

Red Dawn was one of my absolute favorite movies as a kid.

We should come up with a time each week when we can all hopefully get together for some of these 45 player games...

 
At 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trip, as the 45SNGC gets started, I'll be posting dates and times for meet-ups. I also had everyone supply a yahoo IM name so that people can start one with another competitor(s) on the fly.

I can tell this is shaping up to be an interesting experiment.

 
At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After I get busted out of the WWdN each Tuesday (usually around 8:45ish EST) I will be getting some of the 45s in. Sunday night and Monday nights probably too. Just a thought.

 
At 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pick the pink would have been a better title

 

Post a Comment

<< Home