Check It: DADI |

 




Play with a Blogger

In case your head is stuck in a cold (or warm) dark place, you should be signed up for the next DADI event, dubbed It Ain't Easy Being Shorthanded. The game will be tables of 6, which should make for a lot of action and even more interesting table chat. Its scheduled for Monday, which is right around the corner. Pokerstars at 9pm, $10+1, private tournament, password: BlogsAreGay.

Speaking of those gay bloggers, the 45-player SNG Challenge has actually gotten some interest. Some players make great points about logistics, but there must be some way to make this work.

In previous Challenges (like the Limit and SNG challenges), the bloggers were on an honor system to keep track of wins and losses. Unfortunately, this time around, I don't see how we could do that. Back in dem olden days, the group of us playing was relatively small. The stakes, therefore, we relatively small. Plus, there is an unspoken code of honor amongst gamblers, which I suppose is probably even stronger amongst bloggers. However, I just don't feel comfortable with that format for the 45SNG Challenge. I can't tell you why exactly. It's just like that.

So I was thinking, what if we have set dates for the games, and then we have almost a league system. Play in 5 out of the 8 days and pay the $25 entry fee (to be paid as prize money to the eventual winner and maybe 2nd place) and you are entered. This way we will all see how we did. But then I thought, I never know when I, specifically am available, and I don't think I can lock up a given time for several weeks in a row.

Then I thought, how about a buddy system. You don't have to have everyone present when you play/win your game, but you just have to get one other competitor to verify it, by IMing any given competitor online when you are finishing up. But what if no one is online?

In the end, I just can't figure it out. Right now, the most logical solution would be to have a short-form league, with 3 tourneys to qualify and 5 tourneys set up over the course of 2 weeks. I think I can probably get the thumbs up on that from wifey Kim, but to be honest, she's been uber patient with me and mistress poker enough.

Basically, I'm a man without an answer. That's why playing 1st to 3 wins or 1st to 5 moneys or some variation is easiest. All we need are screen shots. Unfortunately, some people have more free time than others.

I'm a man with a whole lot of questions, but little answers.

On that note, I have a question for Veneno. V recently asked me about the next Heads Up Challenge, to which I responded that she should run it. She is the heads-up aficionado, and there was enough interest amongst bloggers to start a new bracket system. So, where are you V? If you start the HUC3 as new Commissioner, I can sit back and let the 45pSNG Challenge incubate. Get to it!

If you are interested in playing an extended heads-up bracket system, check out the HUC link (above) and then hop over to Veneno's site and ask her to set it up.

One last thing. Tonight, I'll be at Genoa. Last night was a decoy. Actually, wifey Kim has plans tonight, so I like to work our schedules to be sort of parallel or something. I haven't invited anyone of my poker degenerate friends to join me, mostly because I have been super busy. But part of me thinks it will be interesting flying solo, without anything but poker to concentrate on. If anyone cares to join me though, send me a comment or email.

As always, have fun and play poker. I sure will.

posted by Jordan @ 9:29 AM,

12 Comments:

At 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My two cents:

Lets keep it simple. We all play 30 total 45 player SNG's on our own time, but to be completed by a certain date in the near future (a month or so).

Use a points system for placement as follows:

1st / 7 points
2nd / 6 points
3rd / 5 points
4th / 4 points
5rd / 3 points
6nd / 2 points
7th / 1 point
Out of the money / -1

For all SNG's keep notes on the tournament # and where you placed. For SNG's that you place ITM, take a screen shot and post it. After everyone has completd there 30 SNG's, we tally the points and award the Top 1, 2 or 3 players depending on how many we have take the challenge.

Let's light this candle.

 
At 10:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I didn't mean 5rd and 6nd, I meant 5th and 6th. I am an alpaca today.

 
At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, Trip. I think you are onto something. Just one addendum. 30 games are a lot, akin to $330 in buy-ins and requiring at least 30 days, if you do one a day. I'm inclined to make it 10 games or 15.

 
At 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or, you could all just save yourselves a lot of time and send me your $$$.

Seriously, I like what TripJax has there with a couple of changes.

1) Out of the money should not make you lose points. It should just be awarded a score of 0. You shouldn't be punished just because you didn't place.

2) If it's going to be 30 or 45 of these things, then there should be no set buy-in for the games. Personally, I'd only be able to afford to play $1 games if we're playing that many.

I like the format, though. Should be fun.

 
At 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

3) In the case of a tie, the tied players enter the same 45 player SNG. Whoever places highest wins.

 
At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good point regardin the buy-in. I usually play $10 45p SNGs, so I dont know if $1 are available, but they probably are.

Another question would be whether Turbos should be permitted. I would have to seriously advocate for allowing Turbos, because for me, I usually don't have time for a regular speed 45p.

 
At 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm fine with reducing it down to 10 or 15 (preferrably 15) and making the out of the money points be 0.

We have to allow Turbos or I probably won't do the Challenge. I specifically play the turbo 45's cause I have a family and can't spend forever playing a ton of 45 player SNG's...

 
At 12:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to get in on this (I could use some serious MTT practice), and I agree with everything you guys have put forth so far:

Screen captures to validate placements
Turboes allowed
Play at the level of your bankroll

Count me in.

 
At 2:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Question...How would you know someone played just 30 or 15 to accumulate all their points, maybe they played 50 and cashed in 15, so they have 15 that counted but played more to get that 15 and they have screen shots to prove the cashes but not the number played???

 
At 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We don't RiverRun. That is why the field will be very limited to people who I feel I can trust. It's a tricky proposition, but it is the only way to work it. In the end, we are all gamblers, but there is an honor code. Let's hope we can all follow it.

 
At 5:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well said. Honour amoung theives, I love it :)

 
At 3:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the idea of another Heads Up Challenge. This week I will work on the details.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home