Check It: DADI |

 




Rebuy Redie!

By now, you may know that I rebought a whopping 14 times during the DADI 8 event. At first, I truly donked it up (or so it felt, I have yet to really review hand histroies). But later on, I suffered some brutal suckouts and couldn't win a cointoss. Let me add that I do remember that I sucked out once during the tournament, so shit happens. I don't mention these suckouts/cointosses for a woe is me post. Rather, I just think it will be fun to see the depths of my depravity.

With that in mind, I will do my best not to justify my play. I will, however, ask you to be kind. After all, I was throwing the damn tourney and I wanted to just roll with it. Of course, I went over my intended budget, but what can you do? It's not like I could stop rebuying! I would be the laughing stock of the tourney.

PokerStars has sent me my hand history and I will now present to you the highlights:

Hand 2: My first all-in occurred during the second hand of the tournament. See? I had some self control. I limped with 4c6c and pushed when the flop came Ac3cTh. Everyone folded. Whoopdeedoo!

Hand 3: What's a great way to follow up an all-in? With another one of course! This time, I held A3o. I pushed on the K22 flop. Silly, I know. But it was folded to me.

Hand 6: This is where I really got stupid, pushing preflop with KJs. GScottW called with AQo and I lose my first all-in of the night. This is also where I make my FIRST REBUY.

Hand 11
: With 77, I raise to 100 preflop (10/20 blinds). DNasty calls. The flop is KK6 and I push. D calls with AJo, and I double up.

Hand 13: I call Iggy's preflop all-in with KQo. I figured I was good for a cointoss. I was mostly right. He had AJo, and I lose.

Hand 16: Mowenumdown was one the other Rebuy-insane players at my table. I sucked out on him in Hand 16 when he pushed with TT after a 7-high flop. I called with Q7c and turned a 7. Sorry, Mow.

Hand 25: I guess I must've fallen asleep for a while, because I went an entire orbit without going all-in. We were 15 minutes into the tournament at this point. I have K6o and call a raise from 23Skidoo, who was right up there with me and Mow in the rebuy-madness. The flop is K-high and he bets. I reraise all-in and he calls with J8. I win. Go me!

Hand 31: Now this one is truly donktastic. I have Qx7c and the flop is 456, all clubs. So I have an open-ended straight-flush draw. I call DNasty's all-in after typing: "Let's Gamble!" It wasn't a gamble. He had the K3c for the second nut flush and one of my outs. Fuck me! I lose. Truly a horrible play/hand by me. But it's a rebuy!

Hand 32: No rest for the weary. Mow pushes all-in preflop with AQo and I call with AKo. I double up.

Hand 37: I push preflop with AKo UTG and take down the pot.

Hand 39: HEE HAW! I call DNasty's all-in with my QJ with a KJX flop. He has AK. I'm stupid.

Hand 40: My K7 sees a KJ7 flop. Using my loose image, I push. HCR33 calls. He has KJ. I lose again.

Hand 45: Preflop, its my TT v. Astin's AK. The AAQ flop seals my fate. Rebuy!

Hand 46: I finally get respect and everyone folds to my all-in. Unfortunately, I also finally get a real all-in worthy hand, QQ. Fate laughs at me.

Hand 59: This must've been when I started to realize that I was projected to go over budget ($50). 13 hands without an all-in? I raise preflop from 100 to 300 with 66. HCR calls. The flop is QQ8 and I push. He calls with 89o. Fate doubles over in laughter. HCR catches another 8 on the turn to add insult to injury.

By Hand 62, I realize that I'm already over budget.

Hand 63: Screw the budget! I push in the SB with Q6o, hoping to get Wonka to fold. He doesn't. After all, why would he. He has AKo. This is the height of donkitude. But really, couldn't fate have given him 49?

Hand 69: My AQo v. Skidoo's ATo preflop. I double up.

Hand 76: I call Skidoo's shortstacked all-in, since I was in the blinds and he was playing anything. His A4 holds up against my K3. DNasty comes along for the ride with KQ, so I'm drawing pretty slim anyway. All donkey by me here.

Hand 77: I successfully re-raise Astin preflop all-in with A2o, pushing him off of his hand.

Hand 78: Three hands in a row! We must've been near the end of the rebuy period. My ATo is called all-in preflop by Skidoo (QT) and Astin (QQ). Astin takes it down.

Hand 112: That can't be right?! I must've really been playing scared to not go all-in on almost 25 hands! Whatever the case, I pushed after turning two pair with 67o on a T967 board. It was scary, but I got Wonka to lay it down on the turn all-in after he called my large flop bet.

Hand 129: Up until this hand, you can see that I was not playing poker. I was playing roullette. But in this hand, I played it perfectly. I was dealt TT with over 14k in chips. Preflop, DNasty raises from 200 to 600. I reraise to 2000. At this point, I was playing to win, and I didn't want to see a flop. He called though, probably because of my loose image. The flop is all unders and I check out of position (I was in the blinds). He pushes for 5500. I call, knowing I'm ahead. He has KJ. The river is a K though, and I lose! I guess this is why I was damning my luck, because before this hand, I deserved all of my losses. But suckouts happen. I did something I haven't done in months. To calm myself down, I closed my eyes and meditated. It barely worked. From here on out though, I play much better.

Hand 151: I'm not sure if the rebuy ended yet, but I think so. I remember post-rebuy period I really promised myself to play smart, but not scared. After all, everyone else would be tightening up, and I had to take advantage of the situation. A table-change was also good for me. I raise from 400 to 1200 preflop with AJo and continuation bet all-in on a Q-high flop. I take down the pot.

From here on out, I just played poker. I had to make plays, since the blinds were astronomical. I eventually went out 24th, which isn't terrible, considering that I entered the post-rebuy stage at the lower end of the 50+ competitors left. But overall, it was a slaughterhouse, and I have no one but myself to blame. I'm not too unhappy about it, I guess. I had to keep rebuying, since I couldn't ditch out of my own tourney. Plus, it was about loosening up and playing for fun, even if it was a high price tag. Looking back, I guess I didn't even get that unlucky. There were a bunch of times where I was a 60/40 dog that I missed, but that is how it goes sometimes. The only catastrophic hand was my TT getting rivered by DNasty, and maybe the K7 v KJ (two-pair beaten by a better two-pair). So, pity party is over.

Thanks everyone for playing...and don't expect another rebuy DADI for at least 2 months. In the meanwhile, would anyone be interested in Stud or Stud H/L? It's just a thought.

posted by Jordan @ 10:40 AM,

16 Comments:

At 12:45 PM, Blogger MHG said...

Stud H/L!!!

I was on the brink of joining the DADI last night, but just couldn't pull the trigger. I figured the minimum I would buy-in for is $15, which is already above what I feel comfortable with.

I somehow figured that I'd end up right around 10 rebuys, not being willing to throw in the towel before the rebuy period ended--with fear of public humiliation and all.

A nice, cheap, Stud H/L or horse tourney would be money. So money.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger slb159 said...

I would donk a Stud H/L! Hoy is gleaming here!

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Matt Silverthorn said...

Had a blast J. I'm up for whatever game you guys come up with. Blogger events are fun no matter what!

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Ignatious said...

just wanted to say i loved the rebuy format. was truly hilarious.

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Alceste said...

I enjoyed it too - the action wasn't nearly as crazy as I had feared but still a lot of fun...

 
At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaw! What a hawesome event it was. This should be a recurring DADI event :-)

As for the Stud or Stud H/L, hell yeah! Bring it on! I'm game...

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Pokerwolf said...

I'm trying not to laugh too loudly so my co-workers don't hear me. Jesus Christ, Jordan! Well played, sir!

I'm all about Stud H/L. The idea of a HORSE tourney (thanks, meanhappyguy!) would be totally badass too.

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

I'm glad you all loved the tournament format. We at DADI strive to bring a unique experience to each of our monthly tournaments. While we cannot hold another rebuy tournament next month, it is only a matter of time before rebuy rears its ugly head once again. Stud H/L seems to be a frontrunner right now, but the Poker Trustees much first discuss and see what we ultimately decide. While HORSE would be a pleasure, PokerStars does not presently offer such tournaments. However, the Trustees are considering playing future tournaments in alternative locations if necessary.

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger slb159 said...

I thought I heard that Stars is gonna start spreading Razz? Maybe I was thinking of another site. Dunno.

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger AlCantHang said...

I tried all day to refrain from saying this but...

Jesus, that looks like an entire year worth of WaffleHouse posts rolled into one.

Two waffle busts in two different blogs, I've hit my quota

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

2 is your Quota? Jeez Al, I can insult Waffle twice in one sentence:

I was playing so poorly, I thought I was Waffle for a moment, until I realized that I could breathe without wheezing.

Quota completed.

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger Alceste said...

High: Are you going to tomorrow's IHO event, or are you off of re-buys for the forseeable future?

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

I just RSVP'ed yes to the I Had Outs event, even though its a rebuy. I promise to play slightly less manic, but only slightly.

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger Alceste said...

Take comfort in the fact that they make it much more difficult to rebuy.

 
At 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great write up. Thanks again for hosting.

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger TripJax said...

Dude, thanks for doing a detail post and this one...I've been out of it today...hungover and not feeling too well...so no post from me today.

I rebought 9 times...I so wanted that $5!

Damn the man.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home