Check It: DADI |

 




Where the Wind Blows

This blog is an organic thing. I seem to be moving away from a daily recap of last night's action and into a more analytical look at poker. That's fine by me, since I prefer reading comments to posts like You Decide #40 than getting no comments to "Last night I lose 3 SNGs and won 1" posts. Hey, but we aren't going to ditch recaps all together, are we? Hell no.

In an Anonymous post to You Decide #40, a real surly sort said that they understood why I was on a losing streak, since anyone with an inkling of poker knowledge would have played that hand better. Well, dipshit, I post hands that I admit are questionable. But even after further analysis, I like my decision-making process, if not the results and an iffy feeling about the context of the decision.

This has been my mental motto as late at the table. Before I act, I think "What am I trying to do with this bet/raise/call?" (I know what I'm trying to do when I fold.) It's funny how a little bit of introspection can go a long way.

Oh, and my losing streak (I believe it came out to 5 or 6 days and some $300 or so, made a turn around on Saturday. On Sunday, I was even able to money (5th place out of 107 for $35 profit) in a $5 PLO8 MTT on Full Tilt. I really love PLO8 because of its complexity and the fact that most players just don't get it. I'd explain it here, but I don't have the time nor the inclination. Besides, there are much better people to read for that stuff. I have to thank SLB159 for railing me the entire time. I promised him his buy-in back if I made top 3, but no luck there. I also won a $10 SNG on UB that I played with DNasty. So, things were going well, up $50 in two days (due to some other SNG losses), until I lost $40 yesterday. But I had fun doing it, and even placed 10th (final table bubble) in Mondays at the Hoy. I think I played well, but I was far from sober. At least I had a fantastic time, mixing it up and laughing my ass off. Getting in the money would've been nice, though.

I finished a VegasPokerPro.com promo at InterPoker, winning some money as well as 750 VPP points, which right now is earmarked for an iTunes gift certificate (I'm thinking some Miles Davis, classic Pearl Jam, and, possibly Jay-Z). But the possibilities are endless, so who knows. I started a new bonus on Nine.com through VPP, but Nine.com's customer support sucks ass and I've been having some problems. Even so, it seems like it won't be too tought to earn that bonus once the kinks get worked out.

A reader sent me an email while I was in Jamaica seeking bonus whoring advice. I sent him a whole treatise on the subject and he went on his merry way, finishing VPP's Poker.com bonus is 7 hours! Next up on his tour is Royal Vegas. I asked him to keep me posted. His goal was to get an iPod for free. I give him a month, tops. It's a good thing too, because I've already ran through most of the bonuses, and I'm glad to pass on some knowledge to help others out. If you are interested, shoot me an email at highonpokr AT yahoo DOT-COMMUNION. And feel free to use my links to PSO and VPP. Either click on the links in this paragraph or click on the VPP banner near the Full Tilt one (the lower one) or that small line of text below the PSO banner. Sure you could click on the banners themselves, but if you follow my instructions, I get some cred with those sites. But, you know, whatever.

I was chatting with a surly blogger and she suggested that I check out Dr. Al's Psychology of Poker. She said it will help me determine my best game given my personality. I have a sinking suspicion that it'll be PLO8, but who knows. Whatever the case, I think I'm going to give it a go. If anyone has a copy they want to sell or swap, let me know. Otherwise, I might just use those VPP points. Damn are they handy!

Hmmm...I think that is all for today. Thanks for the comments. Now get back to work.

posted by Jordan @ 11:46 AM,

5 Comments:

At 2:28 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

Chi_town, one of my comments in chat yesterday was that my brain kept freezing and I'd lose my stack on one hand in the several tourneys I played. It was like clockwork. Consistency has been my biggest shortcoming. I'll play well and then just sort of check-out mentally and play a hand automatically. Invariably, I lose in these situations.

Bad beats happen. Sorry about that. But in the other instances, guys like you and me have to remember to take each decision very seriously. If we do any less, we are only hurting ourselves, in the present tourney and in the next 2, or so it seems.

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

I can sit at a table and concentrate while folding hands for 3 hours. At an online table, I've got about 5 minutes of folding before I get distracted by just about any movign object in my line of sight.

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger MHG said...

After taking a few minutes to find the button to push for comments... I just wanted to say I thoroughly enjoyed the MatH tourney last night.

Thanks for all the ribbing and for making "my wildest dreams come true" by knocking my ass out, in prophetic fashion.

Why I didn't see you at the final table with all of my hard-earned chips remains a mystery... but as you know who says...


THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

Mean, it was a real pleasure. It's good to meet someone else who can dish it and take it. FYI for all readers, Mean was kicking some ass in the Hoy and he made a joking comment after I took 2 or so hands off of him that I was destined to bust him. The Highlander references came out, and ultimately, his prophecy came true. I then missed the final table by one person. But all in all, a good time.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger slb159 said...

Lol...I remember when I was the anonymous King! I had to retire from that title however, and start a ghey blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home