Check It: DADI |

 




Poker Champ = Poker Chump

I'd suggest you follow the link on the right to the Poker Champ, if you want a laugh. I played against him in the first round of the DADIII HUC, and, well, I whooped him good. Of course, he believes that I played "like a fish LOLOLOLOLOL!" He also called all bloggers fish, generally.

There was one hand particularly that upset him. Here is the hand history with commentary:

PokerStars Game #4007260506: Tournament #19240675, Hold'em No Limit - Match Round I Level I (10/20) - 2006/02/17 - 21:00:18 (ET)
Table '19240675 20' One on One Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: HighOnPokr (1520 in chips)
Seat 2: TequilaMom (1480 in chips) (I give Champ credit for choosing a funny screenname and pic (see the screen shot, below).
TequilaMom: posts small blind 10
HighOnPokr: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to HighOnPokr [7h Qd]
TequilaMom: raises 20 to 40
HighOnPokr: calls 20 (I call because it's a minimum raise and the blinds are tiny. I will tell you now that he had 4d7d, so I don't see where he gets his high horse.)
*** FLOP *** [Td 5d Jd]
HighOnPokr: bets 60 (The flop doesn't seem particularly scary. I have a reasonably high flush draw for heads up play. I decide to control the action and/or find out where I am with a small bet. I do not know that he has a flush.)
TequilaMom: calls 60 (He flat calls, hoping to slow play me, I guess. His move is pretty bad because two things may be occuring. Either I have a better flush, which is not likely, or he is giving me free cards with which to draw to a higher flush. However, to be fair, he may think I had top pair and that I won't give it up. Who knows!)
*** TURN *** [Td 5d Jd] [7s]
HighOnPokr: bets 200 (I hit my 7, which is nothing great, but since he only flat-called my flop raise, I may as well try to push him out of the hand. Plus, aggression is KEY heads up.)
TequilaMom: raises 400 to 600
HighOnPokr: calls 400 (The pot currently has 1000 in it. I have to call 400 to draw to my flush. I figure him for probably a draw to a flush, but I know that if he has me beat with a pair, I can always draw out on him by hitting my flush or two pair or a set. Admittedly, I'm not getting pot odds. But, it's heads up play, and his play led me to believe that he didn't have the flush, so at the very least, I have that out. It's also very early, and I'm willing to gamble because I know if I loose a bit, I can recover later. His play also seemed a bit like a bluff re-raise. So, call I did. And then this happened.)
*** RIVER *** [Td 5d Jd 7s] [8d]
HighOnPokr: checks (I hit my flush, but I recognize the possibility that he has Ad or Kd. That was my read on him anyway.)
TequilaMom: checks
*** SHOW DOWN ***
HighOnPokr: shows [7h Qd] (a flush, Queen high)
TequilaMom: shows [4d 7d] (a flush, Jack high)
HighOnPokr collected 1400 from pot
HighOnPokr said, "suckout!" (I admit my suckout and announce it with joy to induce tilt.)
TequilaMom said, "nh, tourist." (It works...)
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 1400 | Rake 0
Board [Td 5d Jd 7s 8d]
Seat 1: HighOnPokr (big blind) showed [7h Qd] and won (1400) with a flush, Queen high
Seat 2: TequilaMom (button) (small blind) showed [4d 7d] and lost with a flush, Jack high

Now, admittedly, it wasn't my best hand. BUT this is heads up poker, so playing a wider hand selection and playing aggressively are assets. More importantly, Champ played very poorly from there on out. I'm not sure if it was tilt or what, but it wasn't this one hand that won the game.

Champ wants to call me a Fish. Well, come fishing, Champ. I challenge you to a best of 7 HU series. I'll let you choose EVERYTHING. Stakes, game, site. You can choose date and time, as long as I can make it. So, put up or shut up.

Champ has a huge ego and a false sense of reality, but maybe there was something else that inspired him to talk smack. Enjoy Jordan v. Champ, the greatest hits:



(Referring to Champ's pic on his site, which actually isn't Champ at all)
TequilaMom: i look like owen wilson i think.
Dealer: Game #4007327023: HighOnPokr wins pot (40)
HighOnPokr: with less teeth, a worse nose, and no money, right?
HighOnPokr: haha

Dealer: Game #4007408921: HighOnPokr wins pot (30)
Dealer: Game #4007412165: HighOnPokr wins pot (240)
Dealer: Game #4007416746: HighOnPokr wins pot (60)
HighOnPokr: i think your fold button is stuck

TequilaMom [observer]: thanks for the invite.
HighOnPokr: my pleasure
HighOnPokr: glad you could make it
HighOnPokr: it was like a bye in the first round

Yeah. I guess he does have reason to bitch and moan.

As for the rest of the night, I won an SNG, and lost two. My total for the night was $1. In addition, Wil Wheaton placed 2nd in the DADIII event. Congrats Wil. I have to admit, I called my mom to brag how Wesley Crusher was playing in my tournament. She doesn't play poker and she worries at times about my love (read: obsession) for the game. But she and I used to watch Star Trek: TNG together, so I had to do a little bragging.

First place went to Mark from The Flop radio show, airing in FL. If all goes as planned, Trip and I will be making an appearance on the show on Tuesday. I'll keep you informed with the details.

Man, I got so much I want to write about, but I've got to go. Let me leave you with this. I was playing in an SNG with Trip and GCox. I have to admit, sometimes my reads are fantastic. I don't mean to brag, but that's exactly what I am about to do. I essentially set up a player, all the while talking to G and Trip, playing along with my ploy. There was some mindgames preflop, but I mostly remember that I hit the flop hard. Playing along with my deceptive poker action, I said to Trip and G (who knew what I had), "Oh no, I missed the flop. I'll have to check. I hope he doesn't push all-in with nothing, making me fold, because he knows I have nothing." He raised all-in. I called with my set. He showed K-high. Trip and G cracked up. I played it to a T. This is what I love about poker...when you know you got it. That night, results or no, I had it. I pulled the verbal play-by-play twice and both times my opponents fell right into it.

posted by Jordan @ 6:23 PM,

7 Comments:

At 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do not have enough fingers and toes to count how many times I have played hands exactly like the hand you held. And more times than not I come up on the losing side of it all. I wish I was a poker tracker expert and that I could look back and see those types of hands and there results.

 
At 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

TequilaMom [observer]: thanks for the invite.
HighOnPokr: my pleasure
HighOnPokr: glad you could make it
HighOnPokr: it was like a bye in the first round

Dude, I about lost my shit when I read that.

As for the hand, I don't mind anything about it on your part except your check at the end. If you felt he might have the Ad or Kd then don't call his 600. You gotta get some value out of actually hitting the hand you wanted. But then again, poker is so much an "in the moment" thing that I don't hate any of it. You go with what you think in that second.

I can't get over him making assumptions about fishiness over one HU match and, really, one hand. Like you said....LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

I'm down with the radio show...lets be in touch tomorrow...I emailed you my home number...

 
At 12:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was hilarious.....

 
At 6:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What would you expect from someone with enough hubris to call himself "Poker Champ?"

That freaking Poker Chimp made a poor play on EVERY STREET.

 
At 10:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Classic! I almost spilled my Jack Daniels reading this, and that would've been a tragedy. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Tilt. Heh.

 
At 7:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Poker Champ Episodes...

Definitely a soap I can't get enough of.

 
At 9:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hopefully the chump will accept your challenge, it can only bring some more great stories. Thanks again for DADIII, I had a great time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home