Check It: DADI |

 




Asking for Directions

Reading a lot of other blogs, it occurred to me that I've lost my way. I have no direction whatsoever. I play what I feel like when I feel like it, which in and of itself isn't terrible. What is terrible is the feeling that I am not going anywhere in my game. I'm not improving in any way. My bankroll is not building (currently hovering around $270 online, a sad drop from $500 mere months ago). So, what is a man to do?

I think it is time I start keeping track of my play. I don't want to limit myself to a particular game, but I think I will set up some goals.

Goal 1: Play 20 HU matches at the $10 level. It doesn't have to be at the $10 level, but it can't be at $20. I'll keep track of my record over the course of the 20, to see if I can have a successful run.

Goal 2: Play 10 6-person SNGs. The price may range from $10 to $20, mostly on Titan likely. I want to see if my Rio successes (followed more recently with less than success due to early suckouts) are an anomaly or are the standard. Maybe I should go for more than 10 games, but this is just a start.

Goal 3: Play 10 10-person SNGs. Price can range from $5 to $10, most likely. Let me see if I can rekindle that SNG fire in me.

Goal 4: Play 15 30-minute (or longer) limit poker sessions. This I can do on any site, and will probably be done on Paradise or Royal, in an effort to earn my PSO and VPP bonuses. And if you haven't signed up for PSO (referral code: HighOnPoker) or VPP, just shoot yourself and get it over with. The 30 minutes will ensure that I get a decent sample of my play. Range will be as per the Limit Challenge guidelines.

Goal 5: Play 15 30-minute sessions of NLHE. I should probably stay with micro-blinds, like .10/.25 and .25/.50.

Goal 6: Play 15 30-minute sessions of Draw Poker on Paradise. I just like this game, and I think I can beat it. I play $1/$2 limit. Good stuff!

So, there it is. I'm avoiding Omaha, which has not been good to me, and Stud, which is usually only a break-even proposition. I will only single-table when completing my above goals. In the end, I should have an indication of some of my strong and weak games. The samples might be small, but it is just a start. Wish me luck.

posted by Jordan @ 12:23 PM,

12 Comments:

At 2:03 PM, Blogger WillWonka said...

Goals are good... Sticking to them is the hard part.. I wish you luck.

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

Well, Will, this one should be easy to keep, since my goal is to play a little bit of everything. So, it might take forever, but how could I not complete it.

In a way, it will be best if I do not focus on one type of game before moving onto the next game. This way, I won't be playing all 6-p SNGs playing poorly and then, when I get my shit together coincidentally start on the 10-p.

Regardless, goals are good, and I'm going to do my best to stick to it.

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger TraumaPoker said...

Sounds simple enough. Something to keep you on task and you can vary what you are doing. Full 10 handed SNG one day, then some HU, then some ring game action. Just as a FYI we Cmitch and I are doing battle tonight sorry we held up the entire HUC!!

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger TripJax said...

Good post Jordan. It's written down...now follow it! That's the hardest thing for me to do...

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

Good luck man, hope you win a bunch. It is very frustrating not seeing your bankroll move in the right way.. figure out what got it to $500 in the first place and do that. Variance hits everyone, and downward trends are going to happen.. read BadBlood from today, he had a 2 month bad spot recently.. It is just the nature of the game.

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

Thanks guys. I'm in the middle of a 2 month downswing more or less, but I plan on shaking it. The real point of the goals is to be able to analyze what works. I will keep to it because it is a system where I can still play whatever on a whim. I just need to keep track of my wins/losses.

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger GaryC said...

Another nice post J. You know I am down for a SNG any time I'm online. Just give me the word.

G

 
At 8:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suggestion: the HU and 6-player tourneys might be exciting, but the ROI is, IMO, less than long-handed. Depending on the players, they can take just about as long-handed game. BUT... they produce a smaller prize pool.

If you want to build your bankroll, you might want to stick mostly with long-handed tourneys. Just a suggestion, which I'm sure is open for argument/discussion.

 
At 8:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry... I typed the wrong URL to my p-blog... corrected now...

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger TraumaPoker said...

100-2-infinity advances to the Final Four of the HUC. More updates to follow on my blog tomorrow at work.

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Jordan said...

Zowie, I can't agree with you there. The point of the varied goals is to test MY strengths, which may lie in shorthanded play. I played a 6-p $10 last night and placed 2nd, mostly due to some distractions when it got heads up. Yes there is more $$ in 10-p, but there is also more competition. 10-p SNGs are probably (on paper at least) more suited to tight players, and one thing I am not is tight. But, time will tell.

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger GaryC said...

10 person tournies for tight players? Who ever heard of such a thing?

G

 

Post a Comment

<< Home