Check It: DADI |

 




The Limit Challenge Structure

I recently posted on Newbie Poker's site about the Limit Challenge. For those of you who don't know, the Limit Challenge was something proposed in Double A's blog. DNasty read Double A's post and mentioned it on his site. From there, I proposed that DNasty and I both follow the Limit Challenge, and the player with the most success at the end of 6 weeks will receive $25 from the loser. By way of recap, I won. Thereafter, I suggested an SNG Challenge, which lacked the structure of the Limit Challenge, but won the hearts of fans (um, or at least the 6 blogger participants listed on the right).

I will repeat the Limit Challenge structure here, because it has made me a better player. It has taught me patience, bankroll management, and the rules of variance. It also got me to play limit, which I always avoided. As it turns out, I am better at limit than SNGs, so that too was a good lesson.


Preface: You may start the Limit Challenge with any amount. DNasty and I started with $50, but you can start with as little as $25. If you start with $50, you can begin at the second level.
If at any point, you lose at a particular level and your bankroll reaches the Drop Back number, drop to the previous level. Otherwise, it is pretty self-explanatory.

Start $__Limit__Play Until__Drop Back
$25.............10/.25...........$55.....................$0
$55.............25/.50..........$110..................$50
$110...........50/1.............$215.................$100
$215...........1/2................$370................$200
$370...........2/4...............$550................$350
$550...........3/6...............$750................$525
$750...........4/8...............$950................$720
$950...........5/10............$1500...............$915

If you reach the $1500, you should be good to go. If anyone successfully makes the trip from $25 or $50 to $1500, let me know. I'd be more than interested.

Enjoy!

posted by Jordan @ 2:11 PM,

4 Comments:

At 10:35 AM, Blogger TripJax said...

My problem is I would want to be like a squirrel and shelve a few nuts (profit) away for a rainy day. Thus I would always be minimizing my chances to increase.

Me thinks that's why I never really make the big bucks cause I'm always so cautious with my winnings.

BadBlood once wrote he would be devestated when he started taking tough hits on his bankroll, even if it was a hit on a bankroll still well into the black. For example going from $50 to $250 then back down to $175. Still well up, but feeling shitty about losing the $75. I have that same problem so when he wrote it I was glad to hear I wasn't alone. Maybe their is a poker bankroll self help brochure I should read or something.

I like the structure though dude...

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Jordan said...

Stuff those nuts all you like Trip. I know the feeling. When I went from $50 to $300 I was on top of the world. I took a $50 dip and was upset, same as you or BadBlood would be.

When the SNG Challenge started and the Limit Challenge ended, I decided to take some time off of limit, and I withdrew $100 of my $250 so that I could feel like a winner (I have a system whereby any $ deposited is a loss and any money withdrawn is a profit; when its just sitting there in the poker account it doesn't count). But with $150, I can get back to the .50/1 tables, using the chart. So you can withdraw and still stick to the general format.

** Caveat: I am actually playing 1/2 with my $150 or so left, because that is the minimum level to get my bonus at Bodog (and therefore PSO). I intend to get back to the chart as soon as possible.

 
At 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I'm gonna take on this challenge....

I have a question about the "steps"... the first step you mentioned .10/.25 is that the blinds or the bets?

thanks

maxsquat

 
At 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I started the limit challenge this morning. I put $25 in Stars and I am playing at $.10/$.20. They play like the $10/$20 at the Taj. After getting down 30BB very quickly, I am up 19BB for a four hour session. I don't do pokertracker, so I don't have any of those stats. Not going to play with all the HUD gizmos that people play with. Don't know how consistently I will be able to play. I'm hoping to get to $1500 by the summer sometime. I'll fire off another comment when I bump to the next level.

 

<< Home