Check It: DADI |

 




High on Gaming

This weekend was jam-packed with all sorts of gaming goodness. Let's start off quickly with the Poker Blogger Chess Challenge. We have eight competitors ready to put up $10 each in a bracket-style tournament. I've already lost two unofficial matches against two of the competitors, Schaubs and MeanHappyGuy, so I'm clearly not doing this for the money. But I love me a challenge, so I'm ready, anxious and willing to have my ass handed to me by a fellow blogger. The full roster of players are:

1. HighOnPoker
2. MeanHappyGuy
3. Schaubs
4. CJ the Luckbox
5. YoSoyVeneno
6. Goat
7. Matty Ebs
8. Buddy Dank

If you are one of those listed players, please send me an email at HighOnPokr AT yahoo DOT commissioner. Remember, there is no E in HighOnPokr in that email address. Also, please send $10 to HighOnPoker with an E to my FullTilt account, as the prize pool. Once all of the emails and buy-ins have been received, we'll start the tournament.

I have discovered that ChessHere.com has a tournament option. Rather than arrange individual matches, it may be smarter to simply set up the tournament through ChessHere.com. In that case, it will be a RoundRobin tournament, where each player will have 2 matches (one as black, one as white) against each other player. 1 point is awarded for a win, and 1/2 is awarded for a stalemate. All the details are listed AT THIS LINK.

Okay, enough about chess. Let's move on to the next game of choice, Golf. I'm not a golfer. Hardly. But I did play a 9-hole course for the first time in 6+ years this weekend. This was only my second time playing an actual course, so I sucked. But I can see what all the hype is about. Golf is like poker in a lot of ways. Less than a traditional sport, golf seems to be a game of skill. There is also, from my newbie perspective, a lot of luck involved (although I'm sure its less so as you get more skilled...also like poker). And the beautiful thing is that, like poker, golf is just a great excuse to waste a day with friends (often getting wasted). That's really all I have to say on the subject, other than I hope to play a lot more in the future.

And finally, poker. Ah, poker. After bubbling at Salami, I've been feeling good about my game. I won $70 last night at the Roose homegame, oddly sans Roose, who is right now in the Greek islands on his honeymoon. I played two games, making a deal to win $50 profit in the first game (essentially first place), and taking 2nd in the second game for another $20 profit. Everything clicked, too, much like the Salami game. In fact, I'm starting to come to the conclusion that I excel particularly in short-form live two or three table tournaments. When I say "short-form", I mean fast blinds, i.e. tournaments expected to last a couple of hours only. I am able to adjust well to the blind levels, and play accordingly. Whatever the case, it has me wondering how these smaller tournaments have become my bread and butter. Hell, I won the two tournaments yesterday, bubbled at Salami, and before that, moneyed in three out of three tournaments in my buddy Greg's home game. Even before that, I was on a great streak at the Roose homegames, and moneyed in 5 out of my last 8 Salami tournaments, with 2 of my losses on the bubble.

Say what you will, but I like those results. If nothing else, it gives me the feeling that I'm doing something right.

Once I get the $500 I'm withdrawing from online poker, I'm going to return to some of the cash game clubs. I heard a rumor that Good Luck Club was raided, but from posts I've seen, it's still up and running (I heard the rumor weeks ago). Hell, I'm salivating already at the thought of some more easy money.

So, while I may really love games in any variety, in the end, it comes back to my first true gaming love. That's right. Until next time, make mine poker!

Update: No, I am not running a Cribbage Challenge...but if one does happen to come together, let me know. All I need to do is learn the game. Anywho, its time for a quick update of my WSOP prop bets.

My main man (at least for today) Greg "Fossilman" Raymer wasn't a flash in the pan. Nope. After winning the 2004 WSOP and having some nice finishes in 2005, he final tabled Event #14 $1500 Seven Card Stud. Thanks, Greg! That earns me $5 from Bayne and $5 from Matty Ebs (putting me $5 up against Bayne and even with Ebs after Ferguson final tabeled an early event). Thanks Greg!

posted by Jordan @ 12:04 PM,

4 Comments:

At 1:19 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

What about a cribbage challenge?

I'm serious.

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger CJ said...

Cribbage rooools, I'm in.

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger MHG said...

Cribbage--now that's something I'll gamble on!

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Dawn Summers said...

Sign me up for the Scrabble tournament!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home