Check It: DADI |

 




Chess Challenge??

I've been playing more online chess at ChessHere.com with MeanHappyGuy and Schaubs. I sorta suck, but I'm getting better all of the time. So, while I was doing my thing today, I was thinking that it might be interesting to do some sort of chess tournament between poker bloggers. I would ideally like to get 8 players, and set it up bracket-style. Each match would potentially take a very long time, thanks to ChessHere.com. At ChessHere.com, you make a move, and your opponent has 3 days to make his next move. For the tournament, we can shorten this to 36 hours or something similar, but realistically, the action happens somewhat faster. Hell, Schaubs and I each moved 5 or so times today. I'm feverishly pressing the Reload button as we speak waiting for him to fall into my clutches.

So, here is my thought. $10 tournament, top two spots pay $60 and $20. Each match-up plays two simultaneous matches (easy to do with ChessHere.com), and if it is a tie, they play two more matches, in sudden death format. In other words, whoever gets checkmate first in either one of those tiebreakers wins the round, and the other match is redundant. This will allow both players to play black and white evenly, AND prevent several days leading to a stalemate, requiring another sudden death round (although it still could happen).

So, the real question is, are enough people interested? If so, leave a comment. I'll take the first 8, then take alternates from there until we hit 12 or 16. But let's get to 8 first.

Until next time, make mine poker!

posted by Jordan @ 4:05 PM,

14 Comments:

At 4:23 PM, Blogger MHG said...

I don't think I'm good enough to bet on chess yet, heh

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger Alceste said...

Potentially interested - does chesshere cost anything?

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

MHG, I'm not good enough to bet on chess either, which is why its only $10. But then again, I throw money around. Either way, your still A-OK in my book.

Alceste, ChessHere is free. It's a really cool concept. If you want to try it out, sign up and challenge HighOnPoker.

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger Schaubs said...

I'm in. I assume we can make payments to each other through Full Tilt. That would be my preference anyway. I just set you up for a big mistake... so be careful. I've already caught myself making a few errors, it's been years since I've played at all! I'm playing MHG right now too.

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Julius_Goat said...

I'm in.

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Buddy Dank said...

I'm in!
I cannot be beaten!

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

That's 4 players, and one possible player (Alceste). 4 more to go.

 
At 12:07 AM, Blogger MattyEbs said...

im in

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger CJ said...

The Luckbox gets lucky at chess too... I'll play.

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger MHG said...

ok ok, I'll play. I'll just consider it an early donk-out of the mookie.

Phil Ivey gets 2nd in the $5k Stud event, phew!

HoP $5
MHG $0

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

That's 7 players. One more and we got ourselves a party. Any takers?

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger Yoyo (Poker Poison) said...

Sure...why not. I will donate.

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Jordan said...

That makes 8! I'll send out emails on Monday instructing everyone on the next step.

 
At 12:27 AM, Blogger Jordan said...

yes. and from australia!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home