Check It: DADI |

 




Trying Again...

It didn't take me long to return to online poker. To be fair, it wasn't really the same situation as Wednesday. This time, wifey Kim was clearly going to fall asleep early and we had no preset TV plans, so when I signed up for the Riverchasers event, I knew I was free and clear. I don't expect to stop playing online poker entirely. I only expect not to let it supercede more important things in my life.

So, I'm playing in the Riverchasers event and doing fairly well, playing smart as I chat with the Other Jordan. Everything is going well when I'm moved to StB's table. Let me take a moment to say that I only really started reading StB about a month or two ago, but I'm glad I added him to my daily list. He writes less about poker and more about daily life, but more often than not it makes for a good read.

So StB, or Night Ranger on FT, is on my immediate left and as soon as I sit down he says, "Cool. I get to bust HighonPoker!" Well, not so cool, my man, because just then we were about 3 chips away from each other. I was playing well and I seem to play better when there is some side action, so I quickle responded, "We'll see about that. Last longer bet? $11." He accepted and away we go.

For a while at least. I am holding strong and chipping up to over 3500 and StB falls to around 1500. I feel like I'm in good shape. And then a window pops up. "Connecting to server..." I wait, expecting that I shifted in the wrong direction and accidentally lost my wireless connection. "Trying again..." Okay. Bigger problem. I check the TV, but its still playing. Yahoo Messenger is still open so I assume its FT's servers. I go to my other computer to see if FT is working there, but it isn't either. "Trying again..."

This is when I realize that Yahoo Messenger has just shut off. It probably took longer for it to realize that I lost my Internet. I turn on Firefox Mozilla and nada, on both computers. Okay, Jordan, you are bright. Let's use some of that criminal mastermind. I search for other unprotected wireless routers in my building. I find a handful, all with weak signals, and try them one by one. Each time I have no success. I get a phone call from my brother, three floors down in my building. "Dude, is your TV working?" "Yeah, but my Internet is down." "We have nothing down here. Fuck RCN (our cable company)." I look toward the TV and realize I am watching a DVR'ed episode. I hit the "Live" button (switches to live TV, neanderthals) and get a blank screen. It's over Johnny. Over.

I stumble into the bedroom. I've given up. No Internet connection means I'll have to be blinded out. Every 15 minutes or so, I return to the living room and try again. "Trying again..." Damn. I accept my loss and hope that StB loses before I blind out.

When I woke up this morning, I tried the TV. Nothing. I'm showering when I come up with an idea. I dry off, go to the cable box, and reset it. Suddenly I have a signal. I try the same on the cable modem, and I'm back in business. I open up FT and see that I lasted until 19th place. Not bad. StB, though, final tabled the tournament. Fucker! I sent him $11.

So, question for you folks. Do you send the $11 in this situation? To me, its a no brainer. If I won, I'd sorta expect the money. Since I lost, I wanted to make sure there was no doubt that I was going to pay.

On that note, my side bet with Al and Wolf for the Battle of the Blogger Tournaments is getting worse and worse. But alas, it was a losing bet in the first place, and its still very early. Make no doubt about it, I may lay some crappy bets sometimes, but I pay up all the time.

Until next time, make mine poker!

posted by Jordan @ 2:50 PM,

3 Comments:

At 4:30 AM, Blogger bayne_s said...

You shall rue the day you did not select MiamiDon

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Obviously you send the money man. If you didn't send the money after making this bet with me, even by losing for technical reasons, I would have no choice but to crush you. That would be just about the gheyest bet squelching ever.

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

I agree wholeheartedly, Hoy. My question really came after I received an email from StB (I read it after I sent the mail) that said that considering everything he'd consider allowing me to back out of the bet. I paid, as we agree I should've. I think StB was just being the kindly gentleman he is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home