Check It: DADI |

 




To Play or Not to Play?

That is the question. Tonight is event #2 in the Battle of the Blogger Tournaments. I had intended on playing as many of these events as possible, but Passover got in the way of event #1, the MATH, and now life is getting in the way of event #2. Damn you life!

Passover really whooped wifey Kim and my asses. You'd think celebrating a holiday with family would be all smiles and sunshine. Or maybe you have a normal family and you know otherwise. It wasn't so much the family or the bread-free meals (aside from the bread-crumb covered chicken cutlets, which I still protest!), but rather the commute. Wifey Kim and I are very fortunate. In a city where many people travel one to two hours from local suburbs or outer boroughs to get to their place of employment, I simply take a subway for 20 minutes. Wifey Kim has it a bit tougher, traveling into the bottomless pit of hell also known as Staten Island, but she takes it in stride. Somehow, however, traveling to Long Island on a weeknight is like a slow torture.

It really isn't that bad on paper. I left work early, met wifey Kim at the train station (20 mins. by subway), got on the train, took a one hour ride into LI and then took a short car ride to the house where I grew up. The problem, really, is the ride back. We got on a 9pm train, barely finishing dessert before leaving my old abode, and took the hour ride back into the city. From there, we grabbed a cab and were home by 10:20 or so. But, to tell you the truth, it always is a shlep, especially with the gloomy apparition of work hanging over my head. I'm a man of routines, and one of my favorite is the joy I get unwinding after work. I just can't seem to fully unwind if I don't get home before 10pm. But hey, that's just me. I guess I didn't have it so bad, though. After all, I only had to suffer through a train ride with worker drone zombies, a breadless dinner, a half-assed Seder (about a 30 minutes service performed at home), a rushed dessert, the subtle bickering of family members, and another train ride, this time with my fellow Seder refugees. It's not like I had to suffer through water turning into blood, locusts, the death of my first born, or boils. And if you don't get those reference, you, sir, are a heathen.

So, wifey Kim and I were utterly miserable as we made our way home. Alas, she was finally able to sit down to some much fast-forwarded American Idol and Dancing with the Stars while I played two token tournaments on FT in preparation for upcoming MATH and Blogger Big Game tournaments. As you may have noticed, I'm taking the Battle pretty seriously. I'd like to make my mark, show my stuff a bit, and win one of the very cool prizes. Hell, I'd also love to get into the Touranment of Champions freeroll.

So it was with the Battle on my mind that I got ready this morning for work. Wifey Kim was working in Manhattan today, so she got up with me a bit later than usual. As we got dressed, wifey Kim reminded me that she would be at her friend's place tonight to watch America's Next Top Model. "No problem honey. And just so you know, I have a tournament I have to play tonight. I'll be playing during Lost." Now, wifey Kim has always been lax about my play. God bless her. In general, I put the pressure on myself to play less, mostly because I can see how it is a detriment to my mental state and my attention to the more important things in life. But this time, however, wifey Kim was cutting me off at the pass. "But Lost is our time together." Aw shit, she's right. It's the very reason I pretty much stopped playing the Mook.

Right now, someone is typing in the comments, "DVR it, dude." Well, dude, I hear ya. But unfortunately, Lost is one of those shows that just can't be put off for 24 hours, especially when my compadre, wifey Kim, is anxious to watch it.

So, where does this leave me? I'm not quite sure. I may just sign up and play for 20 minutes or so, while the DVR tapes, so I can watch Lost commercial-free at 10:20. I should be done with it by 11, and then I can refocus on the Mook. Do I just sit out for those 40 minutes? I dunno. But tonight, we'll find out.

Oh, and I lost both token tournaments. For shame!

Until next time, make mine poker!

posted by Jordan @ 11:20 AM,

4 Comments:

At 1:16 PM, Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

whipped

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger TripJax said...

You'll do better sitting out than you would playing, so you might as well sit out and see how things look once the show is over.

I keed, I keed.

There's something like 39 of these events, so don't sweat missing a few. I write that knowing full well that I just put up a post about how I don't want to miss tonight's tourney because it is one of the BBT's.

Oh well...I hope to see you there, which means we will have both figured out how to make it to the game...

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

You lost both token tournaments? But how was the Shield ?

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

All things look good for tonight. jl514, as for the Shield, I didn't even get to watch it. After the tournaments, I was so tired, I hit the sack. I'll be watching it tonight as soon as I get home.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home