Check It: DADI |

 




Tough Hand


I was doing fairly well for the night when I decided to try to earn a $40 free money bonus at Party Poker. I sat at a .50/1 full No Limit table with $100. I dealt with some tough situations, including top set of 9s eventually losing to middle set of 6s after the 6s went runner runner flush. I also had to lay down JJ preflop when it was raised from EP, I called, the player to my left reraised large, a player to his left called, and the original bettor called. I folded, under the suspicion that my JJs were dominated by AA or the like. Sure enough, two people go to show down after the K88 flop. One guy had QQ, just as expected. The other had Q8! Not the brightest bulb.

So, imagine my joy when I get KK. I bump it up big, since one player has been very loose against me, and he had just won the hand before it. I had been catching great starting cards, and in that hand, I held JJ. The flop was all unders and I bet out. The turn was a Q and I continued betting. The river was a K and I slowed down a bit. My opponent did too. He had QJs (with no flush draw), so he was calling my large preflop bet and pot-sized flop bet with crap. He's a dream player at any table.

So, I have KK and I know this guy is a crappy player, so I bump it to $5, which is no egregious, but higher than I'd usually raise in this situation. Well, he thinks but eventually takes the bait. The flop is KAA and I'm ecstatic. The only things that have me beat are AK or AA, and I don't think either is likely.

The player is loose, so I just go for it, pushing in my significant remaining stack. He calls and the turn and river are unimportant. The cards flip. I have KK for a full house Ks full of Aces. He has...POCKET ACES, for quad Aces. To recap, it was KKKAA v. AAAAK. I didn't stand a chance.

And that's how I lost $100.

The epitome of inevitable, I don't blame myself for my play. Sometimes, that's just how poker is.

posted by Jordan @ 9:48 AM,

9 Comments:

At 11:42 AM, Blogger Dawn Summers said...

That's some baaaaad mazel, yo.

Dawn

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Damn Jordan, that is bad mazel. Dammmmmm. One of the worst beats I have ever seen, without exaggeration. It's the standard pokerstars AA vs. KK beat, but instead of getting it all in preflop like usual, this time you both saw the flop, and both nailed it hard.

That is just unbelievable man. Good thing I didn't eat breakfast today or that would be coming back up right now.

Hey at least you know you've now had the worst beat you'll ever face in your entire life. And you lived to tell about it.

 
At 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's pretty unfortunate.

The play at Party Poker can be pretty insane. I've always hated the lower limits on that site because I'd rather play at a table with a few fish (more than enough in NL), rather than playing a table with inhabited only by fish.

That is a pretty sick cooler, for sure. You'll double up there for a nice profit almost every time, and of course it's just one of those hands. You can't call it a bad beat, but it's a tough beat, that's for sure.

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

Yeah. I don't mean to complain either. It's just an inevitable situation that really couldn't go any other way. Next time and the next 50x after that, I'll be good there. This time I wasn't. Eh, it sucks, but what can you do. I just want to get back to winning again. Soon enough, I'm sure.

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Pseudo_Doctor said...

ouch i feel the pain been there and done that u'll bounce back

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger L'artiste said...

If there ever was a hand that would describe running bad, this would be it.

Remember this though: A big downswing is usually followed by a really HUGE upswing. Hopefully you hit it soon.

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger Littleacornman said...

That was a nasty,brutal beat.Hope your on the other end of the next one!

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger drewspop said...

Ugh, that sucks Jordan. See you at the DADI.

 
At 7:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tough beat! Next time you get free money from party, you should definitely hit up the PL/O8 tables and make those fishies pay.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home