Check It: DADI |

 




A Lucky Man

CC's recent posts regarding relationships and poker really got me thinking. More accurately, it got me worried. Wifey Kim and I have been married for about six months, but we dated for six years before tying the knot. I feel blessed to have her. It's not enough that she is the kindest person I know, she is also a piece of ass.

So, after reading some testimonials from blogger wives which were, shall we say, upsetting, I decided to ask wifey Kim to provide a testimonial. Yesterday, we sat down and discussed. Wifey Kim didn't have anything that she particularly wanted to say, so instead I asked her a series of questions. I don't have the questions/answers with me, but for the most part, the answers were brief and I recall them with particularity.

I asked her what she thought of poker and she stated that she's not interested in it. She's tried to play before, but she just couldn't get into it. I asked her if it was a vice. She said she guessed it was, because it is something that I do even when I feel like I shouldn't be doing it.

I asked her how it effects our relationship. Now this is where it got interesting. From reading CC's blog, I was concerned. Hell, I was concerned before reading those blog entries, but those blog entries made my fears real. Internally, I worry that I play too much. That I neglect spending time with wifey Kim, quality time apart from sitting on the couch with a laptop going. I worried that I was doing something destructive to myself, and more importantly to us.

I was really using CC's blog as an opportunity to open up the lines of communication. It was an invitation: Dear wifey Kim, you are cordially invited to dump all of your fears, suspicions and worries regarding your husband's poker obsession, without concern for his reaction.

I built it up enough. Her reponse: I like that you play poker. You win us money to buy things like our mattress and it makes you happy.

WHA? Are you saying that you don't have a problem with my game? Okay, well let's do some more fishing. Here's a loaded question: How do you think my poker will effect our relationship and life in the future? How could she not say something negative? Surely she must have some concerns about me gambling off the deep end or becoming even more of a fanatic.

She surprised me again. I kid you not when I tell you that she said this: It's going to be great because you are going to win the World Series of Poker and we'll be millionaires.

...

Read that again.

...

It amazed me. I was floored. I have faith in my abilities. I know I'm a good player and that I can be profitable to an extent. But wifey Kim, she's got a whole new level of faith in me. When she says things like that, I can feel it too. I might not win the WSOP, but I know I can. I have the abilities or I will have the abilities to play successful, profitable poker. I will make this poker work. I've got wifey Kim behind me, so how can I fail.

So, CC, I apologize. Wifey Kim and I won't be participating in your testimonials, unless, of course, you think this reaction will be helpful. It's kind of odd, overall. Wifey Kim is behind me, moreso than I knew and moreso than I was behind myself. It almost seems wrong to do a testimonial. In the end, I'll just sound like I'm bragging.

posted by Jordan @ 1:07 PM,

9 Comments:

At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My conversation this morning with the wife:

"So how was poker last night"
"ok"
"Did you lose your 1K yet?"

 
At 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HaHa...I love Waffles comment.

Man, you got a good thing going Jordan. I have a similar situation in that my wife likes that I play cause it makes me happy and it has paid for our vacations the last 2 years...

 
At 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU are Poker Champ!

"I feel blessed to have her. It's not enough that she is the kindest person I know, she is also a piece of ass."

I should have guessed all along..

Nice post, though, seriously. I wish my wife were as cool as that.

 
At 11:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a great wife as well. She is very suportive of not only my poker but my golf as well. My key is to do things that she likes to do each week with her.

 
At 12:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're one lucky man.

PS. Does she have a sister? :)

 
At 12:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope, no sister. She is a great girl, and doubly so because I expected problems. I guess what it boils down to is that I need to chill and accept that this poker thing aint as harmful to us as I thought.

 
At 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You must have had one horrendous mattress...

I think you just won the lottery, so well done!!

 
At 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEY! Our mattress is fine. I mean it isn't top of the line, and I didn't pay for it all with poker money, but I could've!! Hardeeharhar, CC. I guess I did hit the lotto. I wonder if it is because we are young and I was into it pre-wedding (but not pre-dating). I suppose if we had a mortgage and kids and suddenly I started gambling nightly, things would be different...but they are not. Go me!

 
At 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, have you got her snowed!! ;-)

In the last month I've paid for movers to move our belongings from a 3-bedroom house, the remainder of my daughter's preschool tuition (more than my college tuition!), Anniversary flowers (8 yrs and counting) and god knows how many tanks of gas, meals, and odds & ends, all out of my poker winnings.

What do I get for my trouble?

"You're not going to play poker this weekend."

!@#$%^&*!!!!!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home