Check It: DADI |

 




OK with OK

I just got an email from GCox about the possibility of a blogger get together. When I read about the blogger events, I always felt a sense of envy. I was missing out on these big get-togethers. When I met Pauly, Joaquin, F-Train, Derek and a few other bloggers a while back at a NYC game, I got a good vibe from the group. I was a newbie blogger and didn't know anyone's blog except Pauly's and F-Train (by name only). But I could feel the sense of community.

Since then, I've missed out on a bunch of blogger get-togethers. I felt envious, but I also felt, in my own antisocial way, that I didn't belong anyway. Most of these guys don't know me or my blog. I'd be riding solo with a bunch of people who really knew each other. I have no reason to really feel this way. It could be my antisocialness, shyness, low self-esteem (haha), or whatever. Regardless, I knew that those trips weren't for me, necessarily. I'd probably still go if I could, because as long as there is poker, I'm cool, but I didn't make any effort to jump in on the plans.

Enter a conversation less than a week ago via IM with GCox. Life has been hard lately, with class, work and the wedding coming up. I've been stressed out and bitching and moaning constantly. G has heard a lot of it and he's been supportive. Hell, a lot of the reader/bloggers have been, and I appreciate that. Through the Limit Challenge, I met DNasty and SteelerJosh. Through the SNG Challenge, I became better acquainted with DNasty and Steeler, and met GCox, TripJax, and Kipper. Finally, with the Heads-Up Challenge, I met Mourn, Will Wonka and DoubleAs.

I know these guys. I "speak" to some of them more than some of my groomsmen. That's not to say that I'm not tight with my groomsmen. I'm very lucky to have such good friends. It is to say that I really like these blogger guys. They are good people. We share similar values, senses of humor, and, of course, hobbies (read: poker).

So, I'm IMing with GCox. Remember? And I'm realizing all of this. I've spoken to GCox's wife and kid even for a moment, until visions of my parole officer danced through my head...um...ignore that. So I typed, "Dude, we have got to hang out in person some day." "Definitely." But the problem was, I'm too fucking busy right now and I'll be broke and out of vacation days by the end of the month. So, it'll have to be far in the distance.

That doesn't stop us from planning. GCox has recently been on a brainstorming blitz, posting about a 2006 blogger get together non-stop. Looks like the place will be Oklahoma, which excites me to no end! I've never been to OK. Shit, I don't even know where it is! But that's cool. And so, in my head and on his blog, I was down for the trip.

Enter self doubt. What about fiance Kim? She won't have fun if I'm gambling the whole time. I won't have fun if she is waiting around the whole time. But we'll be newly weds still (I think...doesn't that last for a year?) so a vacation without her seems out of the question. Plus, we want to go to Europe together, so a lot of funds will be going in that direction.

I got an email from GCox with possible dates. Most are in the summer of 2006. I sheepishly picked up the phone. I couldn't wait any longer.

"Honey, you know I have a blog right?"
"Sure." Fiance Kim sounded distracted.
"And you know I am friends with other bloggers, right?"
"Sure." Was she even paying attention? Here goes.
"Well, we might be having a get together sometime next summer. You wouldn't be interested in going would you?" I set up my chess pieces.
"Bloggers? Um, no. But you can go and have fun." Fiance Kim is the best woman ever. I defy you to challenge that. And if you do, I will stomp on your chest until you heart squishes out and messes up my shoes.
"It's going to be in Oklahoma though." I had to disclose everything.
"Oklahoma?! I want to go to Oklahoma." SKREEEEEEEEEEEECH! Hold on a sec.
"Um, I'm going to be gambling the whole time, so I don't know if it'll be any fun."
"Hmm. No problem then."
"I can go?"
"Of course."

So there you have it G. Your answer. Fiance Kim gave me "permission." And for all single guys laughing at me for asking permission, you can suck it. Because asking for permission is a sign of respect and love, AND NOT a sign of weakness, you turds. Do I sound defensive? Good!

OK is OK with me. I just hope I'm OK with OK.

Okie-Vegas here I come!

posted by Jordan @ 5:35 PM,

6 Comments:

At 10:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

-ponders how jordan will handle being out of the city-

No fast food delivered to the door step....

No Taxi or train to catch...

No wavy word reader...

-oh yes this could be interesting in itself and worth it-

 
At 12:27 AM, Blogger Yoyo (Poker Poison) said...

You have the right attitude for a long lasting marriage. Hope you keep asking for permission...lol

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Jordan said...

Don't get my wrong...my pimp hand is strong. But she ain't no hoe. So, um, word!

And Kip, you are one funny bastard. But what's this with no wavy word reader! I'll have to bring my wavy word reader travel kit.

 
At 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lmao ...

The only thing I can see that will be 'wavy' is one of us trying walk a straight line.

good stuff!

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger TripJax said...

is that a wavy word reader kit in your pocket or...


o.k. on to other business. i plan to drop the feelers out after this weekend. first i shall whoo and wow her for out 6th wedding anniversary. it's actually monday, but we're doing the dinner thing sunday then spending the day together monday. i figure after than she'll have her sensors down and i'll pounce. actually, like fiance kim, i don't think she's gonna care and she's def not gonna want to go...

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Joaquin "The Rooster" Ochoa said...

Dude, make the Dec. trip down in Las Vegas

 

Post a Comment

<< Home