Check It: DADI |

 




Compulsive Blogger & You Decide #17

I'm really too busy to be typing this, but here goes:

I went to the Genoa Club last night. Roose and Hole joined me there at 7:30pm for the $40 freezeout. The game started with only one table of 10 people. As players showed up late, they were placed as alternates, filling seats of busted players. Each time, Roose would grumble about the game never ending. I proceeded to tell him to shut up. Late entries with the same starting stack = shortstacked dead money.

Early on, Roose, Hole and I were the three shortstacks. I made a big hand when I raised pre-flop with 3s4s in MP. Two other players were in the hand. The flop was 3XX with one spade. I bet out 300, about the size of the pot, knowing that the table was tight. One folded, one called. I was out of position. The next card was a spade. I now had a spade draw. I bet 500. The starting stack was 2000, but I was there to gamble. He called. The river was another spade. I thought for a bit. I tried to look desperate. I pushed all-in. He called with his remaining 500, and was taken out by runner runner flush. Someone at the table said, "I think he was ahead of you on the turn." I replied, "I knew he was ahead of me on the turn."

Unfortunately, not too long after, Hole was taken out when his QQ faced KK. The same hand would screw me later. Roose held strong for a long time, and went out 5th out of 15. Only the top 2 spots paid, so I was excited when it was down to three. Me, some lucky large guy who was playing his big stack well, and Joe, the proprieter. We suggested splitting 2nd place between Joe and I. It would net me $90 ($180 for 2nd, $420 for first), for $50 profit. But at that point, Joe and I were about even and I felt like playing for it. I was playing well and I was confident with my shorthanded and shortstacked abilities.

You Decide #17

I still think playing for it was the right move. Unfortunately, I went out 3rd. Blinds were huge (500/1000) and I was in the BB with 4T. Joe on the button folded. BigStack called. I checked. The flop was 348, with two diamonds. I liked my 4s and was ready to push. Instead, BigStack raised $2000. I had about another $1500 on top of that, so I thought for a moment. I read my opponent, and I liked what I saw. It was nothing specific. He didn't want to look me in the eye. He wasn't acting because nothing was over the top. I knew that I was ahead in this hand. He had a 3 or maybe a draw. I called, and he showed his flush draw. He hit it on the turn. He hit it again on the river. Without a diamond, I was out.

So, was that a bad time to push? I didn't have much left in chips and I thought he had the flush draw, but is it smart to call there? I think I had the pot odds, but when you are on the bubble, should you discount the pot odds.

And finally, should I have chopped 2nd. Is $50 profit better than playing for $40 loss or $140 profit? I was confident in my abilities and I was about even with the other "shortstack". I still think it was the right move, but I'd like your input.

They can take our lives, but they can't take our POKER!!

posted by Jordan @ 10:09 AM,

7 Comments:

At 10:41 AM, Blogger WillWonka said...

In my humble opinion.
Yes, the blinds are getting up there and yes he appeared weak; but I don't push. You are pretty sure that he is going to call your push and there are mucho things that can beat you.

I would have waited for another day where I could put the pressure on (again, I don't think the additional 1.5k was a true pressure point) or hopefully have a better hand.

I'm also assuming that he had over cards to your 4 which probably made it about 50/50 after the flop. I say wait; and hopefully with some luck you get a premo hand.

That's my opinion.. I may be wrong (Dennis Miller).

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger GaryC said...

-I've been wrong before. - GCox25

There's a difference between you and I-I take that chop immediately and book profit. Immediately.

I feel like I know you well enough to say this now, I had no doubt you wouldn't take a chop. You have too much gamble in you for that, not that it is a bad thing. It pays off huge if you knock him out and for every time I take the chop, you probably win more than half of those times.

The hand? Mih! I live to fight another day, but you already knew that.

G

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Jordan said...

Yeah. I guess I should've lived to fight another day. But I'd have about 3x the blinds (probably less, now that I think of it), and I needed to double up sooner or later. Joe, by the way, had caught some cards, so by this point was in good position. He must have had at least 10,000, and probably more. So, at some point, with approximately $4000 in the pot, and implied odds of $5500 in the pot vs. my $3500 to push, I had better than 1:1 odds. I think the coin flip here is a good move. Assuming we do it 100x and it is a 1:1 situation, I lose $1000 on 50 occassions and win $5500 on 50 occassions. That was my thought process at the time, at least.

And, G, I'm honored that you knew I wouldn't chop. At home games, I usually chop, but here, I had an audience and I was talking smack, and I was okay with losing $40. I wanted that big 2nd place payoff, and a chance to take 1st heads up.

PS- I may return on Friday for the $40, 1-rebuy tourney, or maybe a 1/2 NL ring game.

 
At 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have pushed with that hand also.

Sorry can't elaborate more but they work is kicking my ass and I got to get some things done before I leave to pick up the wife.

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Joaquin "The Rooster" Ochoa said...

I don't chop. You go for the win. Yet, I don't like how you played this hand at all...yes, you know he's only going to hit that 1 out of 7 times...but it's short handed and a better spot might have been better, like the very next hand when I know you would have gotten AA

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger TripJax said...

If he checks I push, if he bets big I live to see another hand.

I'm 50/50 on the chop. I like to chop, but some nights I like to gambool. Alcohol often has a play in that...

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger total said...

I have to agree with Tripjax, if you're going to push, I'd wait for a time when he doesn't raise on you or you have better cards.

Of course, doing the exact opposite of what I suggest doing is likely to take you much farther in the Poker World than following my advice. At least this time I can blame Tripjax if I'm wrong.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home