Check It: DADI |

 




My Blog's First Birthday

Picture it: a law firm in NYC, March 2005. I was a young impressionable girl, just off the boat from Sicily. He was a tall strapping Blog, with long flaxen hair...

Happy Birthday Blog! Or should I say Happy Anniversary! It was one year ago today that I decided to start this humble blog. My reasoning was simple. I stumbled upon Tao of Poker via the Intrepid Card Player when I was seeking a way to get to CardPlayer.com at the office where SurfControl blocked that site. After lurking and reading for a few months, I decided to take a crack at writing, myself. My goal was simple: write about poker when I couldn't play about poker.

Over the course of the last year (boy that went fast), I went through a wedding, being laid off, finding new work, meeting bloggers, and playing a bucket load of poker. By far, the highlight of the year was marrying beautiful wifey Kim. She even took a moment to leave a comment in the last post. She is my alpha and my omega. So, I'd like to thank her for giving me the time and encouragement to play poker and to write.

The lowlight of the year must have been getting laid off. Fortunately, that had a silver lining and I am now at a higher-paying job in a firm that fits me better.

But lets focus on the blog. I feel like I've accomplished a lot here, but I've done that post before about the great people, readers and bloggers. So let me focus on some of the technical aspects. At first, I was glad to get 10 readers a day. Hell, for the first week, I didn't even tell anyone (except for maybe Pauly) that the blog existed. I pride myself on trying to write daily (during the week) and I guess some people started reading and linking up. It helped when I met Pauly in May of last year. After that, readers grew to about 20-30 daily. I felt like a real star. By July, the Limit Challenge and SNG Challenge allowed me to connect with more bloggers. I broke the 100 readers on one day mark in August. I didn't see that number again until October. I also broke 10,000 total hits in October 2005. The DADI events were invented on a whim, and Trip and I had over 60 players on the first event, actually beating Wil Wheaton's turnout, but to be fair, Wheaton has his weekly and would probably get a better turn out 9 times out of 10. Still, the feeling of accomplishment is there. In December I hit over 150 readers on one day foir the first time. Not long after in January, I hit 25,000 hits total. Since then, the blog has been going strong. I look forward to other milestones. I don't mention this for any other reason than to say, my how this has grown. And also, Thank You to all of my readers, to all of the bloggers, and to my family and friends who have supported me.

Oh, and feel free to sign up for VPP, PSO, or my for Rake Back at OnlinePokerRakeBack.com (referral name: HighOnPoker, which you should enter in your registration email to the site). I've been using Online Poker Rake Back for Doyle's Room, and I'm looking forward to my first rake back soon. And, yes, I had to shill. Hey, one year doesn't come cheap!

Thanks again. Now go sign up for DADI.

posted by Jordan @ 9:03 AM,

13 Comments:

At 10:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary/bday highonpoker blog!

 
At 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats. I laughed at the end of your post because you're always plugging something...too funny

 
At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah. I guess I do that a bit. But the way I see it, why have the banners or events if I'm not going to point them out here or there. Joaq, if I do it too much, smack me around a bit. I probably deserve it.

Sign up for DADI.

 
At 12:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A toast! :::clink:::

Will you get the good Anniversary sex?

 
At 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Jordan.Not easy churning out decent stuff daily but you make it seem easy.

 
At 3:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy blog birthday!

 
At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on a full year of blogging underneath your belt. Best of luck in year two!

 
At 3:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome! Happy Anniversay.

 
At 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!!!

 
At 2:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats!

 
At 7:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats, Bro. Keep up the good work.

G

 
At 4:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey

First time i check out your blog and its an anniversary... must be fate.
Looks like i've got some reading to do.

 
At 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice work this past year, Jordan. We all love reading what you have to share with us, as well as the tournaments you've helped spearhead among the poker blogging community.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home