Check It: DADI |

 




Sweep



I had a great night of poker last night. I was able to place 2nd, 1st and 2nd in the three tournaments we played. I thought that the quick blinds would be problematic, but I was dead wrong. If anything, they helped my game, forcing the action around me.

My strategy was to keep to good hand selections. The competition was loose preflop, but could be scared off afterwards, and I used that to my advantage time and time again.

In the first hand of the third tournament, I held AQo in the BB. All players had limped before me. I raised from 50 to 300 flat. I had two callers, Ilan, who plays a decent game, and Ian, who is still learning the ropes. The flop was Q high. Ian, in the SB, bet 500. With only 2K to start, I decided it was time to make my move. I pushed all-in, expecting to have Ilan fold and face Ian, who probably held a weaker Queen. Ilan folded and Ian called hesitantly. The poor guy only had pocket 6s, but he thought I was just bluffing hard. I guess that was the image I wanted to portray, so I was successful. Having doubled up after placing in the first two tournaments helped my table image a lot. Clearly, I was a force to be reconned with.

So, if there were 2 things that stood out about yesterday, they are these: (1) I need to work on my negotiating strategy when it comes time to chop, and (2) poker can be a lot of fun if the chemistry is right.

When the first tourney was down to 2, I had about 4K in chips and Roose had 10K. We were playing $15 turbo tourneys (10 min blinds), with payouts of $75/$30. If Roose and I chopped by chip count, I'd receive $30. Roose proposed this and I laughed, explaining how I was essentially freerolling for 1st place. I then proposed, because of the anxious onlookers, that Roose give me $35. It was a minor difference, but enough for me to mentally book a $20 win, with some added benefit than playing it out. In hindsight, I should have asked for more. Even though he had me outchipped, anything could have happened. I was playing well, and with one double-up, I'd be the chip leader. I guess I'm just too accomodating. Next time, I'm going to be a lot more careful with deals.

To my credit, when I got to the end of the 2nd tournament, I was against Hole with the same deficit. I had just short of 4K, and he had a little over 10K. We decided to play it, much to the dismay of a couple of late parties who wanted to start a new tourney. As it turned out, I finished him in a few hands, with my AJ v. AT preflop, and after hitting two pair with 26o against his one pair with 24o.

The third tournament involved more players, and in the end, it was down to Robbie Hole and I again. We discussed a deal, but again decided to play it. Oddly, I had about 4K to his 10K. I guess that is what selective aggression will get ya! Anyway, after much debate, we player all of one hand. I had 99 and he had A3o. He hit his Ace on the river, and that was that.

All in all, I made a profit of $105 (2nd for $20, 1st for $60, 2nd for $25). I placed in each of the three tournaments, and had a great time, to boot. After being knocked out of a game, Ilan dealt for a while. I was showing him my cards here or there because it was a friendly crowd. I bluffed a newbie player off of a hand with K high, although truthfully I think I had him. I then claimed that I hit my straight (there was a 4-straight on the board). Ilan busted me when he checked my cards after the hand.

Normally, this would piss me off. Admittedly, it did just that for about 5 seconds. But then I figured, fuck it. Here was a group of mixed amatuers and reasonably skilled players, and I was there to get inebriated and have fun. I started sharing a lot of my cards with the railbirds. I didn't worry about giving up strategy, and, in fact, openly discussed strategy while we played.

One player, Scotty, who used to be one of the loosest players I knew, had improved his hand requirements and was playing a totally new game. He was shocked when I made plays with K8c, or other mundane hands. He was learning, mostly from watching me, that tight was right. I explained to him how he should stay tight until he gets the swing of things. Eventually, though, you have to play the table and make moves when the time is right. We also discussed the concept of picking up blinds, a relatively simple concept for us blogger/readers, but an advanced topic for a casual player. In my AQ double-up hand, one of the low-level players said that I bet big because I wanted to pick up the blinds of all of the limpers. I explained that I knew in a loose table like this, I wouldn't get everyone out. I also explained that I can get away from my hand if I don't hit. Simple strategy, really, but interesting when you can openly share your philosophies and plays while you are making them.

All in all, it was the most fun I had playing poker in weeks, if not months. Comraderie is the best part of the game, and watching my friends improve is a joy.

I love that poker! And if you do too, I expect to see you at DADIII tomorrow. Need details? Click HERE.

posted by Jordan @ 8:39 AM,

1 Comments:

At 12:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang, that sounds like a good time. Love those sweeps.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home