Check It: DADI |

 




Jim Beam Me Up, Scotty!

I don't watch much televised poker, but I caught myself watching the 50k WSOP HORSE event a couple of nights ago while I flew from CA to NY. Most televised poker has gotten stale to me, but the lineup alone made the event interesting. Add to the fact that the world is getting exposure to non NLHE games, and it made for one of the best poker broadcasts I'd seen in a long while (not that there is much competition). If you've missed it go check out the video clip at Poker Junkie.

Not surprisingly, the higher buy-in meant a star-studded final table, including Lyle Berman, Erick Lindgren, Michael DeMichele and Scotty Nguyen, with Scotty playing the role of the villain. He basically got drunk, something that you don't get to see too often in these big buy-in events. Like most table drunks, he eventually got on the nerves of some of the players like Berman. I hadn't seen a drunkard tilt a table that hard since Tripjax played shit-faced at the Imperial Palace last December. There was also an interaction with DeMichele which was very interesting. Basically, Scotty called out DeMichele for some improper ettiquete. I don't remember what exactly. DeMichele tuns to Scotty and says something akin to, "You are right. I'm sorry." Scotty keeps hounding him, so DeMichele momentarily snaps and basically says, "I know what you are doing and these games aren't going to work on me. I'm here to play poker and I want to conduct myself in a manner that represents myself and the game well." He started the statement pissed, but by the end he was totally composed and made a lot of sense. I have a whole new respect for DeMichele, who frankly wasn't even on my poker radar before this broadcast. Me, I woulda turned to Scotty and egged him on. Probably I'd say something like, "If I knew it would piss you off this much, I woulda started doing it a while ago." (I, in fact, used that very line on Willy at the Bay 101 when he snapped at me for splaying my bets instead of placing them in a neat pile...Suck it, Willy!).

Sure enough, drunk Scotty wins the damn thing after getting overboard drunk and obnoxious. Perhaps the most interesting aspect is that he eventually apologized for his behavior. I don't know if poker ettiquete is turning a corner (for the good), but having players like Scotty show the bad way to behave and then publicly apologize should be a good sign overall.

I forgive you Scotty. Everyone can be a jackass now and again (I've had my fair share of turns). But by apologizing, at least he was acknowledging to the poker public that he knows what's wrong and right.

Until next time, make mine poker!

posted by Jordan @ 9:12 AM,

8 Comments:

At 10:58 AM, Blogger Pokerwolf said...

The most noticeable thing about the broadcast is that ESPN is showing poker players as they are instead of a positive light. It was pretty much unavoidable with Scotty's antics, but the commentary was fairly negative from the broadcast booth. That's HUGE.

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger RaisingCayne said...

Yeah, I was impressed with DeMichelle's poise in the uncomfortable situation. My favorite part was when he called Scotty out, with the "...I thought you were an ambassador of poker Scotty?!" That really illustrated an awareness that Nguyen's actions were douchery in action. I have to imagine Scotty being quite embarrassed after witnessing the telecast, hard to suspect his apology was not completely sincere.

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

yeah, I remember Trip in December, too, the only difference is Trip was really fun to play with.

 
At 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

a couple things. are we sure that Scotty gave an apology? I was listening to pokerroad radio, and the talk show hosts were saying Scotty really didn't provide one.

Also DeMichele was acting like the real ass during the intial stages of the final table. slow rolling and misannouncing hands (calling 2 pair when he had a flush)the veterans and such. if you want to watch the whole episode, check out pokertube.com

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger Bryce said...

I give DeMichele a pass on this one. He was interviewed on the Two Plus Two podcast this week and talked about both the "slowroll" on Greenstein and miscalling his hand to Seed. With the former, he said he was trying to figure out how to best extract money from Greenstein (pondering if Barry would fold to a raise on 6th street), and seemed genuinely apologetic about misreading his hand on the latter. In fact, I thought he was very quick to apologize to Huck when it happened.

Compare the 23 year old with the Prince of Poker and it's not even close.

 
At 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Word is that Scotty was more than drunk, perhaps partaking in a little of the boogersugar as well.

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Gydyon said...

Scotty posted an "spology" on cardplayer that was then sent over to 2+2. He said he apologized, but then spent twhrre rambling paragraphs blaming everyone else for his behavior.

I do not forgve you, Scotty. You're a drunk and you need to sit down and shut up at the table, and treat your fellow players with respect.

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger TripJax said...

Man did I piss some people off that night. I remember that one black dude wouldn't even shake my hand. I don't recall being an ass to him, unless taking his money is being an ass.

Playing poker blotto can be a riot, but if I ever conduct myself like Scotty did and you are with me, you have my ok to send me to naptime.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home