Check It: DADI |

 




When Life Gives You Lemons....

...its hard to write about anything except for lemons.

Poker continues to prattle on, attacking my very soul as I try to find my place in the poker world. I read about Woffles continued success and most of me is very happy for Woffles, but part of me wonders, WHY GOD WHY!? It's reverse schaudenfreude, lamenting the success of your contemporaries, even though their success takes nothing away from you.

At the office, we've been interviewing people for a paralegal job. This afternoon, one of the gentlemen explained that he took a summer off from his last paralegal job to play poker in AC. He paid the bills for a few months playing 10/20 Limit and 5/10 NL. Instead of thinking that he was a guy who I could get along with, I thought, "Mother fucker. No way am I have one of my hired cronies playing higher stakes than me!" I still expect him to get the job.

This weekend, I kept to my sobriety rule, avoiding poker unless I could drive an automobile without fear of a ticket. Through mad skillz, I made a comeback at the BritBloggament, played at Stars at 4pm EST on Sundays, before busting on the bubble. I was UTG, four-handed, with K9o. I was the short stack with less than 3k and 200/400 blinds with a 25 or 50 ante, and decided to push all-in, since there were only four players and I wanted to pick up the pot. As soon as I hit the bet button, I felt in the pit of my stomach that I made a mistake. The next guy called with JJ, I failed to improve, and I was out. It was a classic blowup, made extra harsh by the fact that something inside of me, my Spider Sense, knew that I was pushing into a top-5 hand.

I don't blame anyone but myself. And God. Mostly God.

I did win a $24 token this weekend in a 6-player SNG. I played expertly, getting a good read on all of my opponents before taking 1st place. I then took that token to a 90-person SNG and played unfocused poker until I busted somewhere in the middle of the pack on a play I knew better than to do.

And so it goes.

Fortunately, somewhere during my adventures I saved two hands in Blogger, so maybe I'll go over those tomorrow night.

No live poker on the horizon, which makes Jordan a sad panda. AC on May 16th weekend makes things a bit more bearable.

Until next time, make mine poker!

posted by Jordan @ 4:08 PM,

5 Comments:

At 5:55 PM, Blogger Patch said...

Good God, man! You were sober at 4pm on Sunday? How did you manage it?

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger RaisingCayne said...

I hate that feeling described! The "immediately regret this decision" moment... just after you complete rationalizing that a shove is the correct play in a certain spot and click the bet max button... you immediately and whole-heartedly "know" it was the wrong move! (Usually given one aspect of the situation that was ignored during the thought process that you JUST finished.)!? ... I freaking hate that feeling!

Of course I expect to have that feeling at least twice in the first hour of the MATH tonight. Standard.

Hope all is well Jordan... good luck this week...

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I remember really admiring your play during the December trip, so there's no way it won't turn around eventually. Hang in there, Jordan!!!

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger TripJax said...

Remon.

Peaker admired your play in December...not sure if he would use the admire word after watching my play in December.

And dude, these days K9 is the nizuts.

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

Trip, even if Peaker did not admire your play, I sure as hell did. It was a thing of beauty watching you tilt an entire table with your drunken, profitable antics.

You may of heard of the HoP Poker Role Models list, consisting of the best and brightest of poker bloggers (current members include Fuel55, Surflexus, and CMitch). Well, you just got yourself into the even more exclusive HoP Drunken Poker Role Models club...population, Tripjax!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home