Check It: DADI |

 




Security Check

I ran a basic security test today. I typed my first and last name into a search engine and did not find any connection with this here humble blog. I added the word "high" to the search and still nothing appeared. At least I have that little security checkpoint cleared.

We live in interesting times. Anyone entrenched in the poker blogging community over the last year probably knows about or heard about Bobby Bracelet's run-in with his corporate overloads. Long story short, they found his irreverant blog and consequently, he had to shut it down. Rumor has it, the One Man Party AlCantHang may have also been spotted by corporate watchdogs. Whether or not this is true, or what this may mean for ACH is anybody's guess. But it does underscore one of the trickier aspects of blogging.

Plain and simple, blogging is a public expression. Ideally, it is also a place where people can write anonymously. In many ways, a person's character is more evident in their blog writing than in their everyday life. At the very least, when a blogger posts something, you get an insight into what they are thinking or feeling at that very moment. It may change 30 seconds after he/she hits the "Publish" button, but each post still represents its own amber-coated moment in time.

Even so, I've found myself limited in certain ways at HoP. It's nothing that should concern you readers, but it is the reality we live in.

So, I raise a glass to AlCantHang, and to the rest of the blogging community, for providing me and the rest of the world with countless hours of filler, at the expense of their own time, efforts and, in some cases, safety.

* * *

I arrived at the Wall Street Game at 7:15pm last night for a rousing mixed game. It was Razz and some other random Stud game called Cowpie Poker. According to host Jamie, its spread in at least one cardroom in California, so it's a legitimate game. Frankly, legitimate or not, as long as you stick the word "poker" at the end of it, I'm up for the challenge. Sadly, that works in normal life, too. Just ask wifey Kim and her inventive Shoe Shopping Poker, Emptying the Dish Washer Poker, and No Limit Laundry Poker Hi/Lo Split.

According to Jamie, Cowpie Poker is a Stud game, where you have to set two hands, a 5-card hand and a 2-card hand, at showdown. The two-card hand must contain at least one of the players' down cards. The pot is split between the players with the best 5-card and 2-card hand.

Sounds simple enough. I really enjoy different variations of poker because of the joy of learning. It was one of the reasons I took to poker in the first place. When I first learned NLHE tournament poker, which is probably the gateway drug of poker thanks to television and the chance of a big return with minimal investment, part of the fun was learning faster than my homegame peers. It felt great to have an edge. When I played non-NLHE games in other venues, including online, the edge was more pronounced. Since I now play a variety of games, I have a natural edge over any strict NLHE player. I was hoping the same would be true for Cowpie Poker as well.

Alas, it was not meant to be. After some cancellations, the game was canceled for the first time in my experiences at the WSG. I missed Jamie's message, but since it was a short walk to his place, it was nice to stop by and say hello to him and Pervy Pauly, the other guy who didn't get the cancelation message. I headed home, money intact, and had dinner with wifey Kim from a nearby organic-themed burger place. I then played the Bodonkey, which had a huge turnout of over 50 players. I busted in the middle of the pack about 3 hours into the game. At least I played well early on, chipping up slowly and steadily. I busted when my flopped set lost to a turned flush. I pushed into the flush, hoping to force out any four-card flush draws. Sadly, my opponent was already in flushville with the nuts. No paired board on the river and IGHN.

More pokery goodness soon, I suppose. No Mookie for me tonight, since I don't have 6 hours to play. But have fun. Even though the Mook is too long for me, it's still a great tourney.

Until next time, make mine poker!

posted by Jordan @ 10:58 PM,

3 Comments:

At 10:04 AM, Blogger StB said...

Cowpie sounds like a bastardized version of Pai Gow.

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Joaquin "The Rooster" Ochoa said...

I wish you would have gone into one of your rambles about blogging and work...it seems like some of your co-workers have found your blog.

In other news...did you and Jamie hug and make up about the who call with K's thing?

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

Rooster, I don't mind blogging/rambling about work and I will continue to do so. It's just been dreadfully boring and stressful here. Nothing fun to share.

Fortunately, Jamie and I didn't have to hug and make up since we get by on mutual respect, admiration and latent hate. Ah, I kid about the hate. I've always maintained that the KK fold situation was not about Jamie, but moreso about what everyone would do in that same situation. I won the hand, so that was all that mattered to me in the shortrun. After all, if he hadn't undid his fold, I wouldn't have won as much.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home