Check It: DADI |

 




Upcoming Live Games

The switch to predominantly live poker has been a boon for my wallet and a terror on my time. I try to limit myself, much like BadBlood, to two games per week. At times I make that quota, and on others I don't. Whatever the case, I see my perception of the game changing before my eyes, although I must admit that I like the changes overall.

First, I have a renewed sense of confidence in my game. I chopped 1st and 2nd at Salami, chopped 1st through 3rd in a way that got me the most money (i.e., 1st) at the IHO game, and chopped 1st and 2nd at the Lawyers' Game, making it three wins in a row, if you ignore the inebriated Roose game that was somewhere in between. I have made some great calls based on betting patterns and tells, and I've been right more often than not.

Second, I have been really thinking of the game in terms of a sport. More specifically, I have been trying to "keep in shape" by playing regularly. I think the day-in-day-out grind online was actually too much poker. At that time, I thought that if I missed a day, I'd get rusty. I've come to realize that it is far from true. If anything, a little break between sessions is a good thing, as it lets me live, well, my life, and recharges me for the next go.

Third and finally, I cannot help but look at poker as a money-making venture. Mostly, this is because I have been successful at it. When I bring it a couple of hundred per week (still a small sum compared to others, but not a small sum compared to me), I can see all sorts of possibilities into the future, including playing more large buy-in tournaments. All this makes for a very excited Jordan.

Now its time to look over this week's poker itinerary. I should be going to the IHO game tonight to meet Gydyon, a fellow blogger, lawyer and comic book fan, but sadly I shall miss that even. The IHO tournament location is a bit difficult for me to get to, and if I go, I'd like to leave at around 10pm. Since the game is usually not in full swing until 8pm, the earliest (from what I can tell and remember), it just doesn't make sense. Add in the fact that I have a terrible cold and the walk from the subway to Dawn's apartment is fairly long in these 20 and under degrees, and the game will have to be a pass. I hate to say it, but you shoulda followed Skidoo's lead and join me for a Salami game.

On that note, wifey Kim is going out for dinner with a friend on Tuesday. What to do...I know, poker! I'll be making my return to Salami on Tuesday, ready to take on their tournament once again. I don't anticipate staying for the cash game, mostly because I am lazy and want to be home where it is comfortable and warm.

Wednesday is Lost day, but Thursday is Found Day as in Found money, cause I'm making my return to the Lawyer's Game with Matty Ebs. Thanks again to Matty Ebs for the hook-up. This is a great game with friendly, skilled players, and its always a pleasure to play against different groups. Winning the first time didn't hurt my opinion of the game either, even if I did need a two-outter at one point in the tournament.

Thursday through Saturday will be poker-lite, but Sunday, wifey Kim and I head to Atlantic City for Dancing with the Stars LIVE! Following the show, I anticipate some drinks and some unmentionables with the wifey, followed by sneaking out of the hotel room and grinding out enough to cover expenses in the 1/2 NL game at Showboat, the official Atlantic City hotel and poker room of HighOnPoker. The room was free, thankfully, so I expect to cover expenses and then-some. Or maybe not, but I'll sure as hell give it the old college try.

All that poker sure looks fun. In the meanwhile, I'll be at the office, grinding out the day job and trying to stay conscious in my cold-induced haze. Wifey Kim has me on AirBorne, which I vehemently opposed until she actually bought the stuff. How could this crap work? After all: (1) there are no cures for the common cold, (2) they advertise it on the radio, along with other great "inventions" like anti-hangover pills, hair regrowth formulas, and weight loss pills, and (3) the selling point is that it was made by a teacher! The logic, I suppose, is that teacher's are always around kids, so they have experience in keeping healthy when germs are around. Call me a contrarian, though, but for my dollar, I'll have my medicines created by, well, scientists, perhaps, or maybe even doctors. Hey, Teachers, Leave them Colds Alone. All in all its just a-, nother Sick in the Wall.

posted by Jordan @ 10:45 AM,

5 Comments:

At 12:11 PM, Blogger F-Train said...


Now its time to look over this week's poker itinerary. I should be going to the IHO game tonight to meet Gydyon, a fellow blogger, lawyer and comic book fan, but sadly I shall miss that even. The IHO tournament location is a bit difficult for me to get to, and if I go, I'd like to leave at around 10pm. Since the game is usually not in full swing until 8pm, the earliest (from what I can tell and remember), it just doesn't make sense. Add in the fact that I have a terrible cold and the walk from the subway to Dawn's apartment is fairly long in these 20 and under degrees, and the game will have to be a pass.


1) 8pm is way way early to start a game, especially for LAWYERS.
2) 10pm is way way early to LEAVE a game - does your mom set an 11pm curfew for you or something?
3) Your house to Dawn's house - two trains, 45-50 minutes.
4) Walk to Dawn's house from the train - 5 minutes.

This all leads me to one inescapable conclusion: you are a pussy.

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

F-Train, fortunately, I pussied my way into a job that I can leave at 6:30 (and, frankly 5:30 on occassion as needed). 50 minutes (train) + 5 minutes (walk) = nearly 2 hours door to door. Now, let's assume that the game kicks off at 8:30 (to be nice). If I leave at 11pm, I get home by midnight, for 2 1/2 hours of playing time and 2 hours of travel time. I say 11pm because I want to get home early enough to watch Heroes, and if not watch Heroes, at least go to sleep at a reasonable hour, since I wake up at 7:30. Also (and I hate to say it), the $20 max buy-in kills this game for me. Make it $50 and it becomes interesting. Sorry guys.

So, in closing, this leads me to the inescapable conclusion: I am a pussy. Dang!

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Guin said...

Congrats on all the good live winning.

Hey I am quite sure I am in for the AC trip... were you still looking for a roommate to split the cost of a room? I don't expect to sleep much over those days.

email me at guin36 at gmail dot com and we can figure out some details... hopefully you can still drive me down to AC from the airport.

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger Gydyon said...

Dead. To. Me.

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger Dawn Summers said...

As long as we can all agree that Jordan is a pussy.
And that he's dead to us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home