Sunday, September 24, 2006
Probably the most surprising part of my trip to the Bash at the Boathouse occurred before we even hit the road. SoxLover was kind enough to offer me a ride to the Bash, and I was glad to take the offer. SoxWife met me at the door and let me into their apartment. As I made my way to the couch, I heard Sox's voice, "Hey honey, are we going to take the..." I turned my head toward the direction of the voice, and was surprised to see Sox, buck fucking naked. I looked away, but frankly I didn't even have to. The momentary glimpse of full frontal had burned my retina. We'd be halfway to Philly before I could see clearly again.
When we arrived, my roommates TripJax and Poker Wolf were already at the Boathouse. They had come in the night before and had played in a tournament with the rest of the crew along with poker extraordinaire, WPT champion, and host of CardPlayer's The Circuit Podcast , Gavin Smith. I dropped my stuff in the room and met Sox and SoxWife outside (both fully dressed) and we made our way to the Boathouse.
Upon arrival, a charming female hugged Sox hello. She then walked right by me. I caught up with her outside. I could tell by the voice that she could only be Veneno.
After meeting V, I made my way around the bar. I saw Trip right away, and we sat down for a drink (him an Arrogant Bastard Ale, me a Vodka and RedBull...it was going to be a long day/night). Hell, it was barely noon and I was consuming hard alcohol. Not too much later, I found myself doing a shot of SoCo with AlCantHang, himself. What a host!
After drinks, I walked around and met the rest of the crew. It was a large group, but it all was very natural. I bumped into BG and we introduced ourselves. A while back, he and I had an argument (for lack of a better word) regarding some posts. It was refreshing that it was not an issue. In fact, I had a great time playing Chinese Poker with him. I have nothing but respect.
About 20 minutes after arrival, we started up the first Chinese Poker game. The first group was me, BG, Trip and Veneno. I was on fire, and took about $27 from the table ($1 per point). Meanwhile, Sox and Sox Wife had a .25/point game going with Katitude and Drizz (I think). Behind us, F-Train, Gracie, Maudie and probably a few other people were playing poker for a round of drinks. On the outside deck, Speaker, CJ, Gavin Smith, Brandon Schaefer and others were playing in the $1000 buy-in charity tournament.
Meanwhile, the drinks continued to flow. After a long while of Chinese, it was time to get down to the real poker. Sox, SoxWife, slb, Trip, Wolf, Veneno, Kat, Steve, Drizz, and perhaps one or two other people joined us for some .25/.50 NL. Overall, it went rather well. I actually lost $36 or so, but I was having fun the entire time. I had two side bets going, which helped a lot. If the flop was all black, I win $5 from Trip. If it was all red, he wins $5. Meanwhile, if there was a Jack on the flop, Wolf paid me $1. If there was a Queen, he'd get a buck. If there were both it was a push. If it weren't for these side bets, I'd easily be down $50 or more.
Man, I could go over it all, but I'll never do it justice. I even tried to list everyone who was there (all of whom I had an opportunity to chat (or play) with, but then all I would have is a laundry list. Instead, let's check out the highlights:
- Meeting Gavin Smith rocked. I'm not much for celebrity hero worship, but Gavin really is a man of the people. I think out of any of the various forms of media, you can learn the most about a person through talk radio. You get a lot of opportunity to riff, there is no script, and its weekly (or daily). I have to say that the Gavin Smith that you can hear on the Circuit is every bit the Gavin Smith you get in person. What a class act and all round funtime guy. That and he's taught me a lot about small pot poker from the Circuit podcasts. Two thumbs up.
- Having a dial-a-shot with GCox. Trip and I were at the bar, and when we were done with the shot, Trip stumbled off (he'd be sleeping back at the hotel before 11). I looked down at the bar and there was a cell phone...Trip's cell phone. Oddly, I was the one to call G, so I don't even know why Trip had his phone out. When I found him later, I asked him if I could borrow his phone. Boy, I love that look of panic!
- Having a long conversation with Wolf at the bar and hotel. It was a real pleasure.
- Finding Trip's credit card. I was chatting with Joaquin when the bartendress walked up to us. Do you know this guy? She showed us the credit card. "Yep, he's my roommate. I'll get it to him."
- The arrival of Dawn and Karol from I Had Outs. They got in late, and I only learned why later. They were in AC, having made the trip the night before...from Philly...after the Friday night game...and after going to AC on the Thursday before. If there were two people who possibly liked poker too much, it might be the ladies from I Had Outs. If there are two people who I maybe like too much, its them as well. They are some of the most easygoing, fun loving players in the bunch. And I think their degeneracy is a nice companion for my own.
- Putting faces to names. This pretty much covers it all, doesn't it?
posted by Jordan @ 5:08 PM,
- At 10:44 AM, Pokerwolf said...
It was awesome to finally meet you, Jordan. Now, when I read your posts, I hear your voice. Heh.
It was really cool unwinding with you on Saturday night. The problem is that you un-wound and I didn't. I don't think I fell asleep until 4:45am or so.
- At 11:23 AM, slb159 said...
Thank goodness I was able to get Trip to his room successfully, or you would have had a missing roomate that night. Hehe.
- At 1:22 PM, Drizztdj said...
I was wondering what happened to Trip...
I'll say it again, it rocked to finally meet the folks that I missed in the Vegas tourney.
- At 3:41 PM, katitude said...
So great to put a face to the KEvin bacon voice *grin. Thanks for the help in Chinese Poker!
- At 3:51 PM, HighOnPoker said...
I've said this to you in person Kat, but I'll mention it here too. I'm not even particularly a fan of Kevin Bacon, and I probably wouldn't know his voice immedaitely if I heard it, yet somehow I find myself very complimented by the Kevin Bacon-voice-alike compliment. Oh, and I'm glad to have helped you with Chinese Poker. Sign up for Nine.com (through VPP, perhaps) and I'd love to play it with you again.
- At 4:19 PM, Karol said...
Awwwwwww, Jordan, we totally like you too. We have to do more NY playing together.
- At 4:34 PM, TripJax said...
You and GCox may find this funny, but today I was figuring out a way to IM G and apologize for not calling him and/or doing a dial-a-shot with him. I don't remember that one at all fellas.
Good times, Sir.
- At 10:32 PM, GaryC said...
The thrill of my saturday night at home. Thank you both so much for making it happen, even though Trip doesn't remember it.
Sweet times, I will be there next year, count on it.
- At 12:41 AM, Raveen said...
good recap of the event...btw my favorite drink is red bull and vodkas wish i could have been there and that sox naked paragraph absolutely hilarious i almost spit out my beer....gl at the tables
- At 7:15 AM, surflexus said...
Hey J, I won a $55+10 single table in to the $500+50 last night for today's Event# 2. Play starts at noon central time. Here we go!!!!!
- At 5:01 PM, CarmenSinCity said...
Oh my god! Sox Lover naked????? I'm not sure what to say about that. You should have taken a picture!!!
- At 3:13 AM, Jules said...
No, no, I beg you..NO PICTURES OF SOX NAKED!
Great having a Dial a Shot with you, and no darling, I still don't have an Aussie accent :)