Check It: DADI |

 




Coming Soon: WWdn: The HighOnPoker Invitational

Booya! Coming straight out of Compton, a crazy mother father named High on Poker, from the gang named White Boys with Attitude!

Don't forget about signing up for DADI 9 at Full Tilt. The game takes place tomorrow. And as usual, there will be prizes donated from VegasPokerPro.com and PokerOnAMac.com, because DADI loves to bring you the best in poker freebies.

Speaking of blogger tournaments, after winning $30 at .25/.50 NL at Dream Poker (working on a PSO promotion), I decided to play in the WWdn tournament. I rarely play the WWdn because of the early 8:30 pm start time, but it just felt right.

I spent most of the tournament at a table with Wil Wheaton himself. Mowenumdown was there as well, and other bloggers like WeakPlayer, Surflexus, and Iakaris joined our table at some point or another. If you bust Wil Wheaton, the next week's tournament is named after you. I didn't think much of this until I saw that he was shortstacked. Then my ego flared and I decided to do whatever I could to get the next WWdn to have the HoP moniker.

As for the tournament, I chipped up early with my usual aggression, but dropped to 900 or so when I decided to bluff a flush draw. When the flush hit on the turn, I bet out and was called. On the river, another flush card came. I didn't have one, but I decided to fake it anyway, hoping that my opposition didn't have one either. I was wrong. He called with a suited 9, and I looked foolish. From there, I tightened up somewhat, but continued my new trend of limping with a wide range of hands when I think I can see a cheap flop. I worked my way back up to a nice stack and then had my first chance to bust Wheaton. I had Q9c and limped from EP. He was in the BB and pushed. I called, and he showed AK. The flop had a King and a 9, but he kept the lead through the river and doubled up. Wil made a nice comeback, amassing 2500 or so chips (to my 3500 or so) when I finally busted him. I had QTs in EP and limped in. He was in one of the blinds and we saw a flop. It was As9sX. He bet out and I flat called with my flush draw. On the turn, the Ks came, so I had the nut flush. Wil checked to me, and I decided to do exactly what I did in my bluffing-flush hand earlier (when I dropped to 900). I bet out, about half of Wil's stack. He obligingly pushed. I called, and he showed JsXs, for the second nut-flush. As it turned out, my clever play was unnecessary. I simply got lucky.

So, next week we have the WWdn: HighOnPoker Invitational. I also took 7th place out of 69 players in the WWdn this week, for about a $25 profit. All-in-all a good night.

Tonight, I'm off to play poker at Dawn's place. It's a .50/1 NL game with a $100 max buy-in, but with my recent mood, I'm going to be looking to go for two buy-ins at most. Truth be told, I'd do only one buy-in, but I think most of us can agree that that attitude is -EV. That's all for now. Until next time, make mine poker.

posted by Jordan @ 9:25 AM,

7 Comments:

At 10:28 AM, Blogger Pokerwolf said...

You, sir, are White and Nerdy

Nice job of busting Wil!

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger slb159 said...

Good luck at the home game. You think Newark's bad? Try Camden. You wouldn't have lived to tell.

 
At 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh...love the NWA reference...brings me back to my high school years when I use to roll up in my Six-Fo' Impala..

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Jordan, I didn't know you were a lawyer, I'm a journalist and yet we still get along.

How about a link, by the way? I've linked you. I love your design.

 
At 9:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you find your loose strategy (limping from EP with marginal hands) works out for you? Is it a case of losing lots of small pots before finally nailing a big one?

When I try to loosen up and limp, I just end up wasting most of my chips before being forced to push. I suppose I should do it earlier when I can afford it.

 
At 9:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The rap at the beginning of your post was very Prahlad-esque, my friend.

 
At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I try to loosen up and limp, I just end up wasting most of my chips before being forced to push. I suppose I should do it earlier when I can afford it.

you're probably doing 1 of 2 things wrong:

1. playing badly after the flop
2. picking the wrong people to do this against.

Hard to answer without details since there's never a black and white answer in poker. I don't like just limping as a loose strat, though. Good players will just come over the top once they see the cards you've been playing, or if they see you fold on the flop or turn a lot.

I much prefer to raise 2.5 or 3 bb when entering a pot, and I'll do this with almost any two cards if it's folded around to me.

Be careful not to call a lot of raises. A lot of people make this mistake and dump chips as a result.

GL.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home