Check It: DADI |

 




The Return of the 45 SNG Challenge

Last night, while playing in the Mookie (I placed 21st/57 or so), I received an IM from Drewspop. I've met Drews before, when he came in from the Boston area to visit family in NYC. In commemoration, I through a home game. It was the first time that I met a blogger since meeting Pauly and crew at Lady Falcon's home game (Pauly got me, a newbie blogger, an invite to his going away poker party prior to his first trek West).

I mention this for two reasons. The first is that I think I am finally ready to meet more of you crazy mofos. Reading about the gathering in Vegas has really piqued my curiosity. There are always two things holding me back: (1) Money, and (2) Commitments. Money doesn't grow on trees and I have trouble spending my hard earned dough regardless (Exhibit A is my 8 month quest to get an iPod without spending any money -- with my tips, I can cut that down to 2 months for anyone interested). The second one involves time off from work, but also family commitments. I could not and can not imagine taking a vacation without my wife unless it was for a special occassion. Frankly, while I love my blog and I consider several bloggers as friends, the idea of traveling across the country to hang out with people I did not know in person was also a hurdle to get over. As a single guy, I can write it off as an experience. As a married guy (hell, even as a guy with a serious girlfriend), it just borders on irresponsible, selfish and poorly thought out.

I lay this all out to you because on this blog, I try very much to be an open book. The summer trip to Vegas was never even seriously considered by me for all of the aforementioned reasons. Add in the fact that wifey Kim wanted to go on a vacation to somewhere tropical (she eventually arranged our Jamaican trip) and the summer blogger gathering was just not in the cards, no pun intended.

But change is afoot, my friends. The Bash at the Boathouse is quickly approaching. It will be in Philadelphia, a mere 3 or so hours from my home. Hopefully, some bloggers from out of the area, like GCox and TripJax, can make it in, but even without them, it looks like I'll be making my first appearance at a blogger-heavy live event. I don't know what to expect at the Boathouse. From what I've seen, it seems more party than poker, but I'm sure with this many degenerates the poker will not be far behind.

And then there is December, the other biannual blogger gathering in Vegas. I have to admit, I wrote this one off too. It looks like it will be near the second weekend in December and I generally go to Atlantic City for Christmas (5 years running). However, after chatting with Drewspop and other bloggers last night, December is now back in the running. It is right around my birthday, so when the idea came to me, I got on the phone with wifey Kim, on her back from a Kelly Clarkson concert (with friends, fortunately, otherwise I'd be regaling you with tales of teenie bopper girls and creepy fat middle-age guys).

"Hey baby!" I sounded my cheeriest.
"Hey hon." she was clearly distracted.
"I think I know what I want for my birthday..."
Silence.
"Can we go to Vegas. They'll be a blogger gathering, but while I'm playing, you can spend time with Heather (her friend from college who lives in Vegas)."
"Sure."
Silence on my end now.
"Um, thanks!"
"I love you."
"I love you, too. See you soon."
CLICK.

What a woman! Its funny how my commitment to wifey Kim often leads me to over worry about things that she ultimately agrees to without care. It's certainly not anything that wifey Kim has done. She's the most open and accepting person I know. I guess its just a little of that Jewish guilt. Hell, I'm glad I have it. As I've explained more than once, my addictive personality is kept in check by my anal retentiveness. It's a delicate balance of neuroses.

The point is, I believe I am Vegas bound. Booya!

So, there was some other thing that came up in my conversation with Drewspop. Here at High on Poker we (i.e., I) strive to bring the poker community together with such fun events as the DADI tournaments (DADI 8: The Rebuy in July, coming soon). But before DADI came the Challenges. They started small, when DNasty and I played a limit challenge against each other, based on a limit framework that he had found via Double As (see that community knowledge in effect?). From there, the SNG challenge started, followed by the original Heads Up Challenge. HUC2 occurred and then I created the 45-player SNG Challenge. The purpose for all of these events were twofold: (1) They kept me focused, and (2) They brought players together. When Veneno started to ask me about starting a HUC3, I was glad to pass off the responsibilities to her. Hell, she was already the queen of Heads Up, so it seemed natural. She did a wonderful job, too, so I got to enjoy the challenge without the hassles of arranging it.

Well, Drewspop asked me about a second 45-SNG Challenge, and who was I to say no. Fortunately, he was kind enough to offer to host it, and I was happy to pass that burden, um, I mean honor, unto him. So, all of that boils down to this: If you are interested in playing in the next 45 SNG Challenge, contact DrewsPop. His blog is Hometown Poker. Because the 45SNGC is very honor-based, we can only accept submissions from bloggers and space is limited. This affords some amount of accountability. The contest requires each player to put up $25 into the communal prize pool. Then they are to play 15 45-person SNGs at PokerStars at any time between July 16 and August 20. You can play any stakes, turbo or regular. Email Drewspop with the tournament number AS SOON AS YOU SIGN UP FOR THE TOURNAMENT. If you money, email him a screenshot or forward the PokerStars email to Drewspop. For each money place, you get points on the 45 SNGC board. At the end of the 15 games (or August 20th) all of the points are totaled and we declare a winner.

Jump aboard people, while there is still a chance.

That's all for today. Enjoy yourselves.

posted by Jordan @ 9:39 AM,

8 Comments:

At 11:21 AM, Blogger Pokerwolf said...

Well, depending on how you look at things, since you live in NYC, the "out of town" crowd may not be large for *you* . But, the number of "out of towners" to the Boathouse will be decently large.

I'm going to be there. CJ is going to be there. A bunch of people from G-Vegas will probably make the trek.

There will be poker. Don't worry.

I'll see you in 2.5 months or so. =)

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger AlCantHang said...

Looking forward to getting you down here for the party. The planning is in high gear.

See you then.

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger drewspop said...

Nice job pimpin the 45SNGC. We are up to 11 right now. I think 20 will be a good cutoff. I think I can handle that many anyway. That would double our last number of players but exponentially increase the required banter.

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm going to the bash, and I use the same birthday excuse to go the Winter classic in Vegas ;)

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Hey Jordan,
Happy to say I'm back and fully recovered from a weekend of bloggery debauchery in LV, and am finally back to reading blogs again.
Anyways, let me know when you're heading down to the bash at the boathouse. Maybe we can even make the drive together from the big city.

 
At 3:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for playing last night, and I too will be there in December. Can't wait....When in December exactly though ? Need to start saving pennies...

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

First off, my understanding is that the December blogger gathering is around the second weekend of December (around Dec. 10th this year), but I really have no say, so don't take my word for it.

Second, Hoy, do you have a car? If not, I plan on going back to LI and borrowing a car from my family there. I plan on heading out Friday after work and returning Sunday late afternoon. The exact weekend is September 23rd.

I'm also all for a trip to Foxwoods or (preferably) Atlantic City for any bloggers who want to get together. But with all of these events, it'll probably have to be in November or January or later. Ho hum.

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger C.L. Russo said...

I THINK I could fanagle a trip to AC in January.

I've promised all my winnings to my wife, and, somehow, she's a lot more open to letting me go now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home