Check It: DADI |

 




The Leak: Mayorga v. De La Hoya


I'm no mathlete, but I likee me some sports betting action. Every rare once in a while something will catch my eye as bet-worthy. To me, it's little more than a prop bet. I don't have the depth of knowledge to make any highly-informed decision, and rely mostly on intuition and a little bit of research.

This week's leak is the Ricardo "El Matador" Mayorga v. Oscar De La Hoya fight, this Saturday night.

My pick: Ricardo Mayorga

Now, since I know its a bankroll leak, I'm only betting chump change. My two bets are $10 for Mayorga to win by knockout, TKO, or DQ (paying $45), and $10 on Mayorga by decision (paying $75).

I consider this almost an easy bet. My father once told me that you could see who would win in a boxing fight by the looks on their faces before the fight. I know what he means. Even though it is days before the fight, Mayorga has the look of a killer. De La Hoya, on the other hand, looks scared. And, well, he should. You never know what is going to happen in that ring, but this match just seemed destined for Mayorga.

Boxing is a sport where focus is of utmost importance. Even with my shallow depth of knowledge, I can think of a couple of champions that fell off once they became distracted by things outside of the ring. It happened to Mike Tyson. It happened to Roy Jones, Jr. It's already happened to De La Hoya, and it's going to happen again. (For someone who stayed focus until the end, see Lennox Lewis, who retired before moving onto other things).

De La Hoya last fought in September 2004 against Bernard Hopkins. De La Hoya went down in the ninth when he crumpled to the floor after a body shot. Since that day, he's won a Latin Grammy. Let me say that again for emphasis. A. Latin. Grammy. Boxers do not win Grammy's. At least not good boxers.

On the flip side, you have Mayorga, a chainsmoking, beer drinking streetbrawler who grew up dirt poor in Nicaragua. And he is the reigning champion! People discount him on account of his loud mouth and brawler (as opposed to boxer) style, but it can't be denied that he is the current champ. Even worse, De La Hoya's first match back is against a champion, which is insulting to the sport and is just another sign of De La Hoya's arrogance. Mayorga has only had one fight in 2005, but he won it, god damnit!

So, I leave you now with some quotes from Mr. Mayorga himself:

Oh yeah, and I won $3 playing poker yesterday. Yeah!

posted by Jordan @ 12:17 AM,

9 Comments:

At 10:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I followed your lead and put $10 on each...same picks.

Hope you are right...

 
At 10:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope I am too. I'm feeling it though...

 
At 6:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have $50 on Oscar. He doesn't want to go out looking like a punk, and his style might be too refined for Mayorga to handle. Look for Oscar to get inside his head and rattle him.

 
At 9:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is what I've been waiting for, someone who has money on Oscar. I think it's funny that you think Oscar will get into Mayorga's head. From what I see, it's the other way around. I think the fear of going out like a punk will make it even harder on Oscar during the fight. Meanwhile, Mayorga has the hunger to win this, and his whole life is on the line. Oscar can go back to being a promoter and TV personality. This is it for Mayorga, and he knows it.

But we'll know the results soon enough.

 
At 8:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woo! Oscar makin' me proud! And a little richer.

 
At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stupid Oscar. I guess we all know why I titled the post "The Leak". Sports betting is my bankroll leak. Congrats Tom.

 
At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks. I put De La Hoya in the same class as Roy Jones Jr. -- boxing isn't their first priority, but they're still better than 95% of the people in their weight class and are always a solid bet. I hadn't seen enough out of Mayorga to say, "yeah, that guy can beat Oscar." I also didn't think Mayorga stood a chance of winning by decision, so then it was down to his odds of knocking De La Hoya out, and I didn't like those, either.

 
At 3:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should have picked Oscar...what a terrible decision not to!

 
At 9:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where were you on Friday, Aaron!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home