Check It: DADI |

 




Need vs. Want

When I was a young kid, I heard someone say that the difference between a need and a want was that a need could be satisfied. I have a terrible memory, but that concept stuck with me. I think it holds a lot of validity.

We need food, but at some point, your hunger is satisfied, and, in fact, you get so full that you cannot physically eat anymore. We want money. You can work and work or do whatever you do for dough, but there is rarely a time, if ever, that you will think to yourself that you have enough. For the most part, we always strive for more money.

So where does poker fit in? For most of us, I'd think it was a want. You can play till your heart's content, and for the really obsessed, this could be forever. But I propose something different for myself and, possibly, for you.

For me, poker is becoming a need. No, not as in a crack-addict's need for crack. The crack addict is rarely satisfied and can horde all the crack he could get his hands on. But poker doesn't work that way for me.

After returning from Atlantic City, I knew that I would not be playing for several days. I was just pokered out. I wrote my trip report in my spare time rather than turning on the poker room du jour. I watched mindless television, or hung with my good pal Dan.

Why is this the case? I don't know. It's happened before too, usually after a long poker trip. I think I just feel satisfied, and I know that the online games just won't hold my interest or satisfy me any better than I already am.

The effect is wearing off, of course. I'm already analyzing the cost-benefit of playing in the WWdn tournament tonight or Mookie's tournament tomorrow (see Links for Mookie, because I'm too lazy to link right now). I'm shooting for Mookie's, where I have yet to make my appearance. I know its a good crowd, so that's my number 1 pick. I guess there is also the Big Blue Veiner memorial, in honor of the short-lived Poker Champ. That' s on Thursday, and while I would love to get my LOLOLOL on, the chances are looking slimmer and slimmer in light of the other tournaments. In the end, I'm just glad that I can play in any blogger tournament. I missed the WPBT Stud event because of poker fatigue and some much needed time with the wife. But these games are always a good time, because the players are willing and ready to interact with one another. I've said it before and I'll say it again. The closes thing to a live game is a blogger tournament.

I guess that is it. I still don't feel overwhelming excited for poker, but I can feel the need returning. Fun stuff ahead. Keep reading, and I'll keep writing. See you at Mookie, hopefully.

posted by Jordan @ 10:38 AM,

8 Comments:

At 11:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We would love to have you come out and play tomorrow night. It's a lot of fun.

 
At 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry I don't have much to add here except to say I understand where you are coming from. If I take a couple days off for any reason I start to jones, but it's not like I have to play for a long time to make up for lost time -- just a 100 hands or so make me content.

What I really wanted to pop in and write was a big thank you for pimping Noble Poker. I'm finding the games really soft and loving that they have .25/.50 NL HU because I only deposited $200 on there. Anyways, I played it for the first time last night and busted 3 people -- so awesome.

Have you ever given out your Noble SN on your blog? I'm on there as 10000Days which is the name of the new Tool cd. Yep, I'm that original.

 
At 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tom. Shoot me an email (brodybanky@aol.com) because I have to ask you something.

Noble is soft as butter action. I have a new referral code HighPoker (no ON) so if people want to sign up, please feel free to click on the banner on the right and use that bonus code.

I'm on Noble as HighOnPoker AND HighOnPokr. The second one is technically on Titan Poker, which uses the same rooms/players. Lately, I've been using Titan because of a reload bonus, so search for HighOnPokr (without the E). See you around.

 
At 8:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's interesting. So I guess a poker pro that makes their living playing poker, would indirectly fit poker into the "want" category because of the money.

 
At 8:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting...I'd agree, but only to the point where they never stop playing. I mean full on obsession. I think even pros reach their fill-up point. In which case, some might be Needers and others Wanters.

Damnit, DP, did you find a flaw in my system?

 
At 11:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once it turns into a full-time job, I think poker becomes a need. You need to work to fulfill the want -- money. Btw, I sent you a quick email. Time for some more HU now...

 
At 8:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hobbies for me are always a combination of want and need. Whenever I get into something- golf, writing, and now poker, I can't get enough of it. I could play poker all day and come back tomorrow for another all day session.

Until, one day, the drive stops. Just six months ago I was writing every day, during my lunch hour and a few hours after work. Everyday.

Then, in the space of a week, the desire left me and I haven't written anything since. The whole idea of writing a complete short story doesn't appeal to me at all.

I'm hoping poker isn't like that, especially if I become a good earner, but it probably will.

Does that make it a want or a long term need?

 
At 9:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I'm putting CL at a Want. You know, that is an interesting topic in and of itself. I know what you mean about one day being turned off from a hobby. It just sorta fizzles out. I can't see that happening for me and poker, but it's definitely in the realm of possibilities. I wonder why that phenomenom happens, especially when it comes to poker, a game where there are financial benefits for continued play. I'm thinking its the same as chasing a girl, and once you get her, some of the excitement goes. Then you've been dating a while, and it becomes routine. Suddenly, that girl you were clamoring for is being kicked to the curb.

Good thing for Ms. Poker, I'm a monogomous guy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home