Check It: DADI |

 




Obsessive to Excessive

I might be getting a reputation. It's oddly something that I am simulatneously proud and ashamed of (but slightly more proud). Degenerate gambler might be the best name to go with, but its mostly for flair. Gambler will do just fine.

What's it all about? I guess what it boils down to is action. I love it. And when I'm in a situation with the right people, well, I'm game for any sort of action.

On Wednesday, I had a 2 1/2 hour drive from NYC to Long Island, a trip that should take about 40 minutes. Halfway through I was bored, and bro-in-law Marc was in the car with wifey Kim and I. What's a bored pair of guys to do? Gamble! On just about anything. For instance, how many times will the car in front of us break (affirmed by break lights) before the next overpass? OR, how many SUVs will pass us by Exit 31. Then there was the bet where we both chose 3 bands each and bet on whose band would play next on the classic rock station. Overall, I was a loser, but I had a good time losing.

This past weekend, it was Marc, wifey Kim, and mother-in-law Sharon in the car with me. Marc and I are fairly competitive, so we got to gambling again. Even Sharon was getting into it, not so much for the money, but just for bragging rights.

Fast-forward to Saturday night, and I find myself at a table with 12 other people having a birthday dinner for Robbie Hole. Surely, David Roose, Randy Hole, and Ilan the G-lan were there. It only took a matter of time before we bet on the bill. The winner was Ilan, who bet the highest and then proceded to order dessert and drinks. As it turned out, we were all under by about $200, so his drinks ploy didn't play much of a factor. Sure enough though, the rest of the table simultaneously thought it was a hoot and abhorrent. Non-gamblers just don't understand.

And here's the thing. All of the aforementioned bets were for $1. That's it! I tried to explain it to those dinnermates tsking in my direction. "It's not about the money," I tried to explain, "but the action. It's just a goof to make things more interesting like how big our bill will be." They just didn't get it. Wifey Kim got it, but she was off by about $400 on the bill and you know I was covering her buy-in. In the end, it was just a joy to see her happy and betting with the best of them.

Now, take all of these prop bets and mix it with the poker. I felt like I couldn't stop talking (and thinking) about poker all weekend. Friday night was all poker, with wifey Kim out to the movies with the girls. Saturday was a day of obligations, but while I couldn't play, my thoughts were on returning to my Rio conquest. Sunday was much the same, with me rushing to the comp (but in a non-chalant manner, lest wifey Kim see the full degeneracy) to play once I had returned from an afternoon of hanging with friends around the city.

Atlantic City is coming up at the end of next week if all goes well at work, and there is always more action just around the corner. You've heard it from me before, but I'm going to say it again: I'm damn serious about this game. I want to beat it. I want to grow my game and my bankroll and move up the ladder. I don't think I have ever been as focused on anything ever before in my life. This is it.

So, yeah. I used to be a bit obsessive about poker, and I've officially moved up to excessive obsessive. But I'm loving every minute of it.

posted by Jordan @ 4:19 PM,

4 Comments:

At 8:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the post, Jordan. I feel exacty the same way about poker as you do. These days, I spend most of the day at my day job just thinking about and planning what I'm going to play that night, any big tournaments I'm looking forward to, some new moves or a tweak to my game I want to work into my repertoire this evening, etc. I know it probably does mean we have some kind of a problem, but what can I say. I just want it anyways!

One of these days we should consider getting a New York bloggers' game together, even if just online. There are some good players from this city that could make for one bitchin' weekly game.

 
At 9:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm....NY Blogger game...

I might be able to put something together, but definitely not weekly. It all depends on timing (i.e., when the wifey will be otherwise disposed).

This "problem" that we have, I can see why many people might see it as such, but I don't. Instead I feel empassioned about it. That is why I'm willing to follow my dream, albeit slowly and through earning my bankroll. Its a possibility to really make this thing work, so all of our obsessing is really practice and refining, sort of like training for an olympic athlete.

Just a thought.

 
At 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My wife has to read this post. Then maybe she will understand a little more.

Actually, she won't, but that's ok.

btw, a NY/Boston blogger game would work this weekend ;)

My sis actually lives on 25th between 7th and 8th. I think I told Hoyazo something completely wrong. That's how much I know. Anywhere, that is where I will be this weekend. Not sure how close that is to you but after my son is snoozing, cards in the air would be sweetness.

 
At 7:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with this post.

Plus, gambling is the only "problem" that can turn profit! And yay for profit!

Yes, honey, I have "problems". I can't quit being successful at 1-2 NL hold em. Oh noes !!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home