Check It: DADI |

 




Home Gaming

Now I remember why I rarely have home games. Tonight, if all goes well, there will be a NYC blogger home game tonight at Casa del High, aka the 5 Diamond Club. We have 5 people right now, so let me first ask this general question: Would you host a home game if only 5 people could attend? If so, what games would you play? It's not really about telling me what to do. Right now, I'm still not sure, going back and forth between "5 is too little for a good game" and "With this crowd, 5 is fine." It's more just a matter of curiosity.

I got some decent reaction from the Poker and Pets post. I expect more emails to be sent in the future, both from owners and their pets (thanks Trip). It's good to be offering up some great advice to the public.

I got my ass handed to me again last night. Bubbled in a Rio and then placed 3rd. I couldn't get anything going. Card dead and with bad luck is not a way to win a Rio. But I try to shake it off as a bit of variance. More importantly, what is done is done. I'll have to return their later to take my money back.

I then jumped into Mini-Step 2 on Party (foregoing Step 1). I placed 5th, pushing me back to Step 1, a Step I was hoping to avoid all together. The last hand was a suckout, where I decided to call a minimum raise from the BB when I was the SB with 59o. I hit my 5 and bet, hoping he missed the board. He calls. The turn is a 9 and I push. He calls with two random cards that happen to have comprised top pair, shitty kicker. He then rivers trips, and I go home. Some people may say that 59o is a poor hand to play. I know, I know. But how I played it was excellent. Results, however, don't always fall in line behing my greatness.

(Variance, I keep telling myself. Variance.)

Damnit, I love this poker thing, and I plan on playing all night (home game or not) to satisfy what ails me. Wifey Kim is going to be on LI tomorrow for some other thing. I try not to ask too many questions, lest I sound like I want to join. That means more poker tomorrow morning/afternoon as well. And with wifey Kim out of the house tonight, I may just uber-degenerate it up by not sleeping at all! Okay, I'll sleep some, but probably at some ungodly hour in order to convince myself that I'm a wild and crazy guy. How sad.

I ended up sending a text message to about 8 people to drum up more players for tonight's game. There were some people I considered texting that I haven't seen or spoken to in months. I never know what to do. On one hand, it looks like I'm just texting them for the sake of poker. On the other, poker is just something that we have in common and that we enjoy. To me, its the same (and in fact, preferable, entertainment-wise) than calling them up to go for a beer. Hey, I got beer at my place.

That's where I'm at. Holla back if ya hear me!

posted by Jordan @ 9:30 AM,

5 Comments:

At 10:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could obviously play a short-handed SNG and/or cash game, but you could always try a round robin Heads Up tourney.

 
At 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've played tons of short-handed SnGs and they're a blast. Everyone puts $20-$50 in the pot and play it winner-takes-all, or top 2 pay out (2nd place usually just get their buy-in back).

Sorry I missed you last night. My kids came down with colds, so I tended to them most of the night and then hopped on Titan around 9pm or so central time. I looked for you under "players", but you weren't around. I ended up in a micro SnG with Scott from Dead Money, Inc, so that was fun.

 
At 12:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like the game is going to happen. If it was my usual local crew, I'd probably cancel, but since it's a blogger crowd, I know that poker under any circumstances are worth playing.

Bloody, I was having Internet problems last night, so I avoided Yahoo IM (which was part of the problem). But I'm sure I'll see you at the tables soon.

 
At 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, both suggestions are fun. I like playing some 1-2 short-handed NL when it's only 5.

If we get 7-9 we'll do a winner take all STT for $40 buy-in.

 
At 5:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I play with my friends, we usually only have 5 people total (sometimes 4) and we play a NL cash game.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home