Check It: DADI |

 




Flattery Gets You Everywhere

I have to send out a hearty thank you to all of the readers/bloggers who commented on my last post about whether there exists software that effectively lets you "see" your opponent's cards as though they were face-up when playing online poker. I will direct my good pal Roose to the site and comments. He was the one that brought up the software to me, at which point he decided never to play online again. I'm sure he has since played online, but hopefully your comments can assuage his concerns better than my broad strokes of logic that lacked any factual underpinnings.

The second thing I need to do is give a hearty thanks to all of the comments from people who usually don't comment on this here blog. Last night, I lost my $12 that I had on Titan poker at a .10/.20 NLHE table when my two pair ran into a set of threes and my top pair, top kicker ran into a set of threes. I then came in 2nd in a 6-person Turbo SNG ($10 buyin, $8 profit) and lost another 6-person Turbo SNG. Overall, my losses amounted to about $16.

I bring this up because I have been more or less steadily losing for weeks, if not months. I don't want to go into the details about my play or luck or variance or whatever, but I do want to say that losing consistently over time has gotten me, how should I put it, turned off from blogging. My output in this blog has been good, but when you are losing constantly, it's natural to doubt yourself, and in this way I began doubting the utility of this blog.

The blog was started as a pet project and remains one. You can tell how much I care about it from the fact that I often post twice in a day. I try my best to post every weekday, because when I read a blog, I like to know that I can always go back daily for new content. It's always a shame when I want to see what's going down with Blogger X only to find that he has taken an un-announced week long hiatus. Like a HS girl dating a College guy, I can't help but keep checking in, hoping that I get a response to my call. For this reason, I have made it my goal to consistently post daily.

But what happens when you consistently lose daily and consistently post daily? You essentially post about what a loser you are. Now, I'm no loser. My goal is still ahead of me. I want to make this poker thing work, and I think I have the base intelligence, dedication and skills to get me there over time. But in the immediate world, I have to force myself to post on here daily about topics that amount to me sucking.

My blog has had some modest successes that keep me going. When I first met Dr. Pauly at a homegame in NY (he got me invited to Lady Falcon Poker's homegame once...and I'm still waiting for my invitation back, Ms. Falcon...), I had a spike in readers. When I created the Limit Challenge between DNasty and I, I found a way to connect with other bloggers and fashion, in a sense, something worth following in this blog. When the SNG Challenge was started with 6 different bloggers, the community widened. The Heads Up Challenge had 8 bloggers, and the HUCII had 16. Meanwhile, my hits continued to grow until the Donkeys Always Draw Invitational was created as a way to play with a bunch of bloggers all at once in a tourney I could actually attend. I expected 20 blogger/readers, but had 62. The Omaha DADI game had an outstanding turnout as well. And now we have the DADIII HUC, and I can't be more excited (click banner on right for more details).

My point is, even with these things, what's the point if my hits are people popping in, seeing that I'm writing crap and popping out. Or, if they are just bloggers, in a self-canibalizing, incestuous diary group (of course, I still encourage them to read).

When I get comments from people like dazza, Butch, and Peter, sharing their knowledge with me and the blogosphere, I am all too flattered. I thank you, because you help me realize that this pet project is worthwhile.

Now, workplace productivity is calling my name, so I'm cutting this off. But I do encourage people to sign up for VPP and PSO. I need 2 PSO referrals (which could be one person who does and completes two promos through PSO) to get enough points for the $100 Party Poker gift certificate. In fact, if you do 2 promos, you can get a gift certificate also (just sign up for the PSO points as your promo item). And to make it easier for you, I will also let you know that if you sign up for Party Poker, Absolute Poker, PokerRoom, bodog, or Titan Poker from PSO, you can get a bonus of 9000 PSO points total by choosing 6000 points and entering the promotional code NEWYEAR when filling out the necessary online forms on PSO.

If you like this blog, you'll help a brother out, right? Because flattery will get you everywhere, but referrals will get you everywhere and a sense of charity and goodwill.

posted by Jordan @ 12:47 PM,

3 Comments:

At 1:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, I'm right there with you.

The blog is worthwhile.

The crap streak will end--someday.

Poker will be fun again, even when we lose. I know this is low-content, but keep the faith.

 
At 2:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, you are a loser. Blogs are gay.

but since you already knew that, remember that running bad for an extended period of time will in fact be a good thing for your poker game. Every once in a while you hear of a pro saying that he can't wait for some of these internet players to run bad for a long time and see if they can make it through.

I have had a few bad runs, and I think it helped me a lot. of course in the middle of the runs I felt like the world was coming to an end and that I was the worst player ever.

Remember, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and all that shit. Just play your best and let things turn around on their own.

 
At 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello

I am the Jester and I am famous. I like your site, it's not as good as mine though. If you are interested I am holding a freeroll this Saturday on Absolute Poker called "Roll the Jester" where I will beat everyone and teach them how poker should be played. Come alon and lose.

The Jester

 

Post a Comment

<< Home