Check It: DADI |

 




Prep Time

Hi everybody. While chatting online last night, something really became clear to me. I am nervous about my AC trip this Saturday.

I have mentioned it before, but Ruff, my cohort on this trip (along with Vinny Delpino) usually plays $300 max buy-in, 1/2 NL. Ruff likes to buy in for $200, and, if he loses that, rebuy for another $200.

Yeah. But, um, I don't have $400. I mean, I have it. But I don't want to lose it. And herein lies the problem. Now, Ruff reads this site here and there, so to you, Ruff, let me just say that I am not at all complaining and I don't mean to suggest that I will even have to have $400. I know that if I went with $100 and blew it in 5 minutes, I'd just railbird Ruff and Delp the rest of the time. But, you see, I want to play with $400!

What's a man to do? Is playing scared going to hurt my game? If so, how do I get over it? Right now, I have a fail-safe. I'll play $150 and if I bust, I'll take another $150 to 4/8. If I bust out of that, then I'm doing something terribly wrong. Regardless, $300 is my budget.

Any advice on how to get over this mental hurdle would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I have to get this out. I got whooped online last night, losing about $50, including another HU match against Veneno. Congrats, V, but I must say for my pride that I had you in my sights when I got you all-in with my TT v. your A7o. Unfortunately, the ace on the turn had other ideas, but at least I can't 100% blame myself. Oh yeah, I did mess up at the end, calling your all-in reraise with QT on a Q high board against your QK (or QJ). I knew I was beat, but damnit, see Poker Haiku #1.

"You know what you are? You're like a shark with a big stack and with fangs..."
"...big fucking stack, man."
"Yeah... big fuckin' stack on ya'. And she's just like this little donkey, who's just kinda cowering in the fifth seat. "
"Shivering."
"
Yeah, man just kinda... you know, you got these nuts and you're staring at these chips and your thinking to yourself, and with these chips you're thinking, 'How am I supposed to kill this donkey, how am I supposed to kill this donkey?'
"And you're minimum betting at it, you're minimum betting at it..."
"Yeah, you're not busting it. You're just kinda gently betting the donkey around, you know what I mean? And the donkey's scared Mike, the donkey's scared of you, shivering.
"And you got these fucking big stack and these fangs... "
"And you got these fucking big stack and these fangs, man! And you're looking at your big stack and you're looking at your fangs. And you're thinking to yourself, you don't know what to do, man. "I don't know how to bust the donkey." With *this* you don't know how to bust the donkey, do you know what I mean?
"You're like a shark, man."
"So you're not just like fucking with me?"
"No I'm not fucking with you."
"Honestly, man."

posted by Jordan @ 8:54 AM,

5 Comments:

At 10:37 AM, Blogger GaryC said...

You remember that tournament where you took 4th out of over 1000 people last weekend? That game you played Sunday will translate to success wherever you play it.

I know you can make money live, just go do it.

G

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger TraumaPoker said...

Whatever amount you bring, $100-$400, just make sure you are completely OK with losing that money and you do not care. If this means you only bring $200 then bring $200. It sounds like you are OK with bringing $300 so bring that. My advice would be not to leave the NL table if you lose your first buyin just because you lost it. If you feel you have a read on the table and you had been getting your money in when you are the favorite stick around and ride it out. Just trust your game the rest will follow. Play optimally, then exploit. That is all I have for now.

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Joaquin "The Rooster" Ochoa said...

This is a great story. Donkey takes 20.00 buck kick back he gets from bus when he gets off of AC and plays blackjack with it to get the blood going.

1 hand doubles up = 40
2 hand takes it down and wins = 40
3 hand (took 20.00 out for dinner) and bets 60 and hits 21
4 hand bets 100 and takes it down
5 hand bets 150 and hits 21

I just walked away after that and freerolled the weekend...advice: Be a donkey on the felt.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

G is right. I need to play solid poker and I'll be fine. Im starting to think it may be smarter to take the $300 and sit at 4/8. I hear that the Borgata poker room is uber packed on weekends, so I might put my name on 1/2 NL and 4/8 and see what comes up first. Oh well oh well.

 
At 3:46 AM, Blogger Yoyo (Poker Poison) said...

Thanks for the game Jordan. It is always great fun. You are right I did get lucky with the one hand. But my best move was the stone bluff reraise that got you to fold..that was my favorite moment of the match..lol..I am sure we will enjoy many more matches together.

Best wishes...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home