Check It: DADI |

 




On the Plus

What a weekend! I spent Friday night seeing Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with fiance Kim. I'm a big fan of Johnny Depp and Tim Burton, and the movie was definitely worth seeing, but I had the nagging feeling throughout that I was watching a rerun. Its a different movie, without a doubt, but you know where its going and how its getting there (for the most part). On the walk home (I live in NYC), we passed a book store where I pre-order the new Harry Potter book for fiance Kim. I'll admit that I read comic books, but I draw the line at Harry Potter. Long story short, it was 11pm and we decided to wait around until 12:15am when fiance Kim was able to buy her book. Highlight of the Borders wait was entering the bathroom while a 20-something year old 6' guy with a long ponytail and a receding hairline exited wearing a Harry Potter costume. I was tempted to mercy kill him, but I was too worried he'd hit me with a spell. So, what did you notice about Friday night? No poker.

Saturday was another whopper of a day. Fiance Kim and I woke up at 8am on our day off. We proceeded to rush to LI (a 1 hr train ride), load some stuff into my family's Jeep and head back to NYC to unload some furniture and household items. When we returned to NYC, I spent about 30 minutes playing some Limit Challenge, in an attempt to play some poker. Problem #1 in the SNG Challenge: SNGs require 45 minutes at least. So limit it was, but I made a $10 uptick, and by the end of the weekend, I doubled that. My limit challenge bankroll is now $111, just enough to move from .50/1 to 1/2. I can't wait.

So, we do all that furniture stuff and then drive back to LI to hang with fiance Kim's friends. Fast-forward to Sunday, running around LI with fiance Kim's mom running errands. When I got back to my apartment at 6pm, all I wanted to do was play poker. I finally got to do that at 9pm.

Hey SNG Challengers, why the hell have I only played against/with G$ux in the SNG Challenge?! Damn people! That has got to change.

So my first SNG was a 6-person turbo tournament. I wanted to get in there quick, and I was doing fine, but a bad play put me on a short-stack, and I eventually pushed with 55 after there was a bettor before me pre-flop. The bettor was locked in on price. I had him on 2 overcards. I didn't expect them to be JTo. He hit the K high straight and I was sent packing. Meanwhile G$ux was placing in his 6th SNG in a row. That guy!

I would've sat and watched G$ux play out the top three, but after losing I always need a break. It burns me bad, and I just need to get away from that screen so as to avoid jumping into another SNG while on tilt. Even if I don't play another SNG, just railbirding puts me on mental tilt, which sucks. It was about an hour later when I sat for a 10-person regular SNG. One particularly good move came when I called a small raise on the button with As8s. The flop was Qs9s7x. The other guy raised. I pushed with the flush draw and he called. I'd make this a You Decide, but I didn't keep good notes, and this hand was all about position and chip stacks. As you can imagine, I won it, but it wasn't a spade that did it. I rivered the A. For a layman, my move may have looked stupid. However, I had good pot-odds, and a lot of outs. My quote of the night (if I may say so myself): "I had more outs than a chinese whorehouse." Note that this makes no sense. I knew it, they knew it. But hell, I had to say something stupid. I ended up playing tight until I was in the top three. The two large stacks were playing at each other and I tried to avoid any serious conflicts. Eventually, one big stack went all-in against the other and suddenly I placed. It felt good that my patience paid off. Look for a posting later about lessons learned from the SNG Challenge.

As a result, for the SNG Challenge, I invested $11 and won $15, for a $4 uptick. I went from $53 to $57, which is in the black, but far from G$ux's near-$200. Jerk.

Enjoy! There'll probably be a new posting later today. I can feel its going to be one of those days.

posted by Jordan @ 8:33 AM,

8 Comments:

At 9:15 AM, Blogger jomama said...

I'm witchu on the Harry Potter crap.

When everyone's high on the same crap,
I begin to worry about being a member
of Der Hyuman Race.

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger GaryC said...

Hey J,
I hear ya about playing with the others in the challenge. Let's get on a table tonight and see if we can get D, Kipper, TripJax and SteelerJosh as well. Not sure if Josh still has the roll, but would love to play one with everyone involved.

G

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger D said...

LOL josh might not be able to play cause his roll...I am down, I will sign in around 9 and see whats up.

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger GaryC said...

Here's my thought for the SNG challenge table tonight. Once we know everyone is on go to the 5 +.50, 10 person table and wait for it to show 10 people signed up. As soon as it shows 10, we all join and hopefully are all on the next one to start.
They fill up quick, but I'm not sure we could all get on a 6 person table at the same time. Besides, the 10 person tables are my favorite. LOL

G

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

I'm with G$ux on this one. The only problem is that fiance Kim was nice enough to point out that I have been very...poker-focused...lately, so I cannot promise when I'll be on tonight (probably after 11pm ET for sure). Lets hope we can make this happen. And once we are in the table, we should all gun for G$ux!

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger TripJax said...

aahh the ole reminder that too much poker is being played. been there, done that. you play when you can play...we've got time to put it together for sure.

i love how you always call her fiance kim. good stuff. i may have to start using wife nat.

i'm working on my aim sign up tonight.

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

Yeah. Fiance Kim started when I thought the casual or new reader wouldn't know who I was talking about, but then I realized that Kim and I always have stupid nicknames for people and ran with it. Case in point, Fiance Kim has called my little bro Clam David for as long as I can remember, all because I had a bad habit of jokingly calling people clam for about a week, during which Fiance Kim met Clam David. Eventually, Fiance Kim will be Wife Kim, which doesn't have the same ring to it. I'll have to work on that. Other favorites include "She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed" but that implies that Fiance Kim is much worse than the chill person she actually is.

Get that AIM trip. Lets make magic happen.

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger GaryC said...

ROFLMFAO!!

I got the same warning today. OF course, I've been married for 10 years so I know what her threats are worth. I just need to pull a little of the bankroll to Neteller and hit her bank account with it and I am all good.

I'll look for you all later tonight.

G

 

Post a Comment

<< Home