Check It: DADI |

 




Bum Roshed

About a year ago, my poker partner in crime, Davey Roose, decided that we should make a trip to Vegas this year to celebrate our 30th birthdays. Frankly, he could've suggested that we go to Vegas to celebrate the 150th anniversary of Darwin's "On the Origin of Species" and I would've agreed. Vegas is Vegas.

Several months ago, I received a phone call from Roose:
"Robbie Hole and I are booked for Vegas, hotel and plane. We are going September 18th weekend!"

Great, I thought. I wasn't sure why they booked without discussing it with me, but I'm sure it was on impulse. Besides, it didn't take much to convince me, so I booked my flight that same week and thought nothing of it.

Until Sunday night. That's when I got a call from Mama High. "I was speaking with Mama Roose, and she said you boys are going to Vegas over Rosh Hashanah." FUCK!

For those who aren't Members of the Tribe (of Israel), Rosh Hashanah is pretty much the highest and holiest of the Jewish Holidays. I, on the other hand, am a Jew by ethnicity moreso than religion. So, missing Rosh means very little to me, and usually it would mean very little to my family, but not this year.

My mother correctly laid it on pretty thick. At first, I thought I could talk her out of her insistence that I move the trip, but I finally relented when she argued that she asks for 10 days a year, between holidays and birthdays. It's hard to argue with that logic. After all, she is my Mom.

Of course, the cherry-on-top was that Mama Roose was also very upset, but whereas my mother can at times bend me to her will, Dave Roose has no such problem. That man is like teflon, and any guilt trip slides right off. So when Mama High asked me to convince Dave as well, I told her all bets are off: "I can cancel my trip, but Roose is his own man."

So cancel, I did; or at least, I will do. I have already accepted that fate, since family comes first and it is after all, one of the biggies of the Jewish religion. I may not be religious, but I try to be respectful.

Logic would dictate that we move the vacation to another weekend. No such luck. The week before, I may very well be on trial again. The week after, I have a wedding. The week after that is my anniversary with the very stellar wifey Kim (better than ever, my friends...just ask Joaquin).

And that's how I got bum roshed out of a Vegas vacation. Right now, I'm trying to convince Roose to move it to October or later, but I feel terrible having him bend the plans for me. Hell, part of me wants him and Hole to go without me, since I don't want them to have to sacrifice for me. Part of me wishes we could just make it an AC trip and get back in time for Rosh, with a Vegas trip early next year. Part of me is fucking pissed that Rosh even matters, particularly for a secular Jew like me.

But that's life. Live poker is greater than many things, but not my family. I guess that's just the bottom line.

Until next time, make mine Torah!

posted by Jordan @ 9:01 AM,

3 Comments:

At 2:09 PM, Blogger BWoP said...

Uh ohhhhhhhh . . .

I hope you make it out here some time soon though.

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Dawn Summers said...

Put it off till "The Gathering" in December.

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Joaquin "The Rooster" Ochoa said...

Yes, your wife is hot. Bring her to Vegas. Nuff said.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home