Check It: DADI |

 




You Decide #68

When it rains, it pouts. I played in the No Limit Omaha 8 or Better tourney on FullTilt on Friday night. If you think play is bad in PLO High, just wait until you see the play at NLO8. Not only are Omaha games traditionally played pot limit, but the high/low aspect of the game attracts the push monkeys like flies to doody. With that said, there is always the question of when to embrace that inner push-monkey, and that's why I need your help, with

You Decide # 68

We are in the 20/40 blind period, so its very early, and I have 2335. I'm not sure if this was a deepstack tournament, but considering that I am in 7th out of the 8 players at my table, its fair to assume it was 3000 starting stacks.

Preflop, in the small blind, I was dealt As 3s 7d 2d, basically the three best low cards, double suited. UTG+1, JoMaha (5955) limped for 40. AngelEye (2750) in the cutoff calls. I raise to 3x the BB, 120 total. Butter (2805), the big blind, raises to 1,400. JoeMaha raises to 3,000. It folds to me and I call. Butter calls too.

Was this a bad time to go all-in?

For what its worth, JoMaha had 2357 with two spades and Butter had AAJT, rainbow. The board ended up Td Kd 4s 9h Qd, rivering me the low flush (with my 72c) and the pot. But did I donk it up here with a gamble, or were conditions right to push and pray?

Until next time, make mine poker!

posted by Jordan @ 10:51 PM,

8 Comments:

At 3:18 PM, Blogger Bayne_S said...

1) WTF is JoMaha thinking?

2) There is a low 47% of hands.

3) PLO8 and NLO8 you really want to be playing for the high side with a chance at the low.

4) Early in cheap tourney going big or go home makes sense because you need a cheap stack to withstand some of the donkey beats you will take later

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Easy fold PrF. And Bayne's point about building chip utility here, is not a valid one. (And to be facing AAJT is killer. That's the absolute tip-top of his range.)

This should be an easy decision. You're playing the role of the dog, and to put any value on a 7 high connector is off-base. You're gambling on a bunch of babies with limited outs, and often times if you make it, it's not pure. (you'll be splitting half or 1/4 pot.)

In fact, this is major leak. A 101 type of leak.

And lol @ 47%. This isn't schmoldem! LOL!!! There is so much wrong with that statement...while that may be true to some degree. Omaha isn't a PrF game...that's where the hold'em error occur.

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Shrike said...

What Bayne said.

-PL

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

Champ, if there is a bone to pick about your analysis (and I'm not sure that there is), it's that this is a NL tournament, and the play is expected to be much worse than an equivalent cash game or even a PL tournament. NLO8 is light catnip to donkeys. Also, I don't just have the A2 draw, but also the 3, so if the low comes, I have a better chance of not splitting the low. AND, its 3-way, so if I only take the low, I still increase my stack by 50%. Now, all that said, I'm not entirely convinced that my play was 100% correct. I'm also not entirely convinced, though, that this is 101 decision either.

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Mike Heffner said...

I think I need to play these NLO8/PLO8 tourneys more.

Why not play a big pot here? I mean, if it's raised and repotted in front of you, yeah, maybe you fold and not take a high-variance line going up against all the likely AAxx and A2xx hands.

But as played, I would never ever ever fold this hand preflop in this spot.

 
At 11:35 PM, Anonymous Brian said...

For someone supposedly so intelligent ur really bad at the pokers, it literally makes me stomach turn listening to the hands you post Bascially ur praying for a low to come on the board, u have nothing preflop and chances are unless u made a flush ur going to get quartered with someone else having A2, ur really terri-bad bro---

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Jordan said...

What's up with the vitriol, Brian? I post these hands because I acknowledge that the play is questionable, and I'm asking for input. No need to be a steaming cock about it. Also, your analysis is shit, which is probably worse than the needless shit talking. I am going to get quartered? By who? You see the hands they are playing. Brian, you probably sit there with a chart which tells you the relative value of PLO8 hands. Good for you. But don't you have to consider the player? Do you play a game against a table of pros the same as you would a game against a table of fish? I didn't just have any A2. I had A23, so quartering is possible, but it is not a foregone conclusion. It's one thing to comment and offer criticism. It's another thing to be a cock-knocker with a poorly thought-out critique.

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

A23X suited is definitely a hand to see a flop with, not neccessarily showdown with.

Given the situation, I'd be inclined to fold preflop. Doing so is not a "nit" play here.

If you can assume AA is out there (overshove is the easiest hint), ANY high flop you're drawing dead to only a possible flush or some runner-runner 2s, 3s, or 7s.

Next time fold it, try a better spot to gamble since the blinds were not an issue at this point.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home