Check It: DADI |

 




All Work and No Play

Good grief! I felt compelled to stick my head in the door just to give you all a wave (I originally typed that as "waive" because I am so mentally in the thick of the law right now) and a howdeedo. It looks like over the next two weeks, I'll be running around like a chicken with its head cut off, trying to satisfy tough deadlines in three cases while I prepare myself single-handedly for my first trial. No complaints here other than those implicit in being busy. In the end, there is nothing to it but to do it, so that's what I'm doing. It.

In the meanwhile, things will probably be pretty quiet here. I still expect to continue playing during these trying times, mostly because it helps me unwind and/or turn off the brain when I get home. But these random blog posts will probably be a little less often.

While I'm here, I might as well mention some of the fun I've been having online. I moneyed in a couple of recent tourneys for small, but respectable figures. I also began binging on token tourneys again. I won 3 of 3, then lost the two games I played using the tokens. It definitely felt like I was on a rush early, only to run into a brick wall. In both of the games that I lost, I took bad beats. It's nothing new and, in fact, has been relatively few and far between lately (as has been my play), but it reminded me that this game is luck-based, no matter how one might feel about his current skillz.

I've also been binging on Poker Road Radio lately. The guys on that show have such a rapport that it is a pleasure to listen to them from both a poker and a talk-radio perspective. I like a lot of talk radio, so I know what I'm talking about. The chemistry is fairly natural, and aside from some key problems (sound levels, guys, look into it), they churn out an invariably good show.

Recently, they were talking to a player about bots. According to the player, Ali something, there are currently bots online that play average poker. They generally are relegated to the limit tables, particularly HU. He also said that as time wears on, bots will eventually take over online poker...the key is when "eventually" is. It may be a long while off.

Even so, the idea of bots, which never bothered me much in the past, has really turned me off of online poker. On one hand, I think that if you can't beat a bot, you suck at poker anyway, so stop complaining about the bot and just get better. On the other hand, with the other scandals that have happened over the last few years, bots just feel like another straw on the camels back. And sooner or later, that back is going to break.

I've spent too much time on this already, so I'll catch you all later.

Until next time, make mine poker!

posted by Jordan @ 4:06 PM,

2 Comments:

At 12:56 PM, Blogger NewinNov said...

I actually had to enter a code while playing online once (maybe Pokerstars) for the first time in my life. I was told it was to prevent bots.

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Matt Sokol said...

I had to enter a code one time too. I don't really think that bots will become a problem anytime soon, too, although I'm obviously not thrilled about the fact that it may be a problem some day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home