Check It: DADI |

 




Omaha Live

Last night, after a dinner with college buds JDubs and Jefe, I bolted from the restaurant and hoofed it ten blocks to an indistinct building in mid-town. While JDubs and Jefe were taking their time using the bathrooms and preparing for the winter cold, I was heading out the door like a bat out of hell, with the look of crazy in my eyes.

That indistinct building on an indistinct street in that indistinct neighborhood held something particularly important to me....a card room. And when I arrived at 7:45, fifteen minutes after the scheduled start of the nightly tournament, I was hoping that they would let me jump in late. As it turned out, the table was full and I was 2nd on the waitlist. But what made the night even more interesting was the game being played...Pot Limit Omaha 8b!

By the time I sat down, the blinds were already 50/100. I started with a 3000 stack, but the blinds were moving every 15 minutes, and the action was slow. I mean s..........l..........o.............wait is that a split pot? What about the side action? He had a low, didn't he? Split the side pot and then split the main pot? What is the pot right now? I bet the pot? No way is that the pot! That's too low.....................w.

But grin and bear it I did. I chipped up after folding a bunch of hands. I then lost to a river against the chipleader, putting me on a small stack (just like everyone else at the table, seemingly). In the end, I pushed when blinds were 150/300 and the chip leader called. She rivered me with a flush (to my made straight) and rivered my low! Keee-rist! 6th place out of 13th, $60 down the drain. But what a time.

Besides the slowness, it was an odd table. There were four elderly ladies who all came together. No one was feeling any of my humor, but the Golden Girls and I all got along well enough in a grandmas/impetulant grandson sort of way. One guy was the worst table captain I ever saw, harassing the old ladies on every play. It was unbearable to watch.

In general, it was one of the most annoying games I've ever played in because of all of the tension. I mean, people were constantly second-guessing the dealers and each other. And in most instances, they were right. At one point, the blinds were 200/400 and I was UTG. I said, "I bet the pot." I let the dealer count it out. "600." I thought nothing of it an put 600 in front of me. When it got to the blinds, the BB was confused. "I only have to put in 200 more?" Then I realized, I didn't even make a minimum bet (which would've been to 800 total), let alone a pot sized bet. To make it even more ridiculous, the dealer asked me if I'd like to call the floor person. Floor person!?! Fine, let's do it. But understand that he is going to look at you like an idiot. 600 my ass. In addition, the dealers in general were given bad directions. They weren't considering "calls" when players wanted to be the pot. What I mean is, if the blinds are 100/200, and you are first to act and want to raise the pot, you can raise up to 700 total (100 SB + 200BB +200 your call = 500 RAISE, on top of your 200 call). All too often, the dealer would say, "You can raise it up to 500 total." Most players had no idea that this was a mistake, so I kept quiet. I just wanted the action to move. After all, in any given blind level, we were barely getting in 6 hands anyway. Nuts!

Next week, they are switching to Limit Omaha 8b. I won't be able to make it, but hopefully I will the week after. The Omaha 8b tourney was nuts and annoying, but it was also interesting. Because, NLHE is a great game, but every now and again, it's good to change it up.

I'm heading to AC next week and I'm fucking giddy. I got a free room at the Resorts and Showboat, so I'm using them both for Wed and Thurs night. My usual partners in crime, Roose and Hole, are planning on attending. The tournaments are building up there, in number. Its the week of the Borgata Open, so maybe we'll stop by there for some star gazing, but otherwise I plan on getting in on the $40+10 at Showboat and $50+15 at Resorts. I can't help but feel, though, that I'd be better off at NLHE cash games, so I'll be doing that too. The possibilities are endless.

This post is brought to you by the letter J, the number 7, and the suit club!

posted by Jordan @ 11:08 AM,

2 Comments:

At 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You going to be there all weekend? I'm going to be in Beantown next week until Thursday. Having satisfied my work obligations, I was thinking about making a daytrip to AC (It'd be a day and night trip, except the wife isn't so much a fan of the poque).

 
At 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be there from Wednesday late night to Friday afternoon. If you are going to be around at the same time as me, let me know. You can always email me at brodybanky@aol.com.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home