Check It: DADI |

 




Purgatory

I am in Purgatory, but it might as well be hell. This isn't poker related. Let me get that out. It is work related. As I have stated in the past, I have to account for every 6 minutes at work. As an attorney, I bill for my time (or more accurately, the firm bills for my time). So, timesheets are crucial to the firm. Lately, knowing that I am out the door on Sept. 30th, my morale has been shot.

I came into the office today, sat down in my chair and proceeded to pontificate why I was even here. I still haven't come up with an answer besides the fact that I want my paycheck. Oh, and I suppose its easier to get a job when you already have one, or so they say.

The problem is, I don't have much work to do. I have my personal to-do list with 14 things listed. Out of the 13, 7 are on hold until I hear back from a particular attorney. The remaining are mostly busy work. But the truth is, I have no desire to do anything. I have to end that, because I am only hurting myself by letting things slide. Even so, morale is at an all time low, so lets cross our fingers and hope for the best.

On that subject, I did have some good news regarding the job hunt yesterday. I received my first positive response from a potential employer, and, while I don't want to get my hopes up, I think this might be an ace in the hole.

About a year ago, I interviewed at a firm in midtown. I was unable to make their on-campus interview because of a trial advocacy competition, but they were willing to meet me in their offices because I had previously worked with one of their secretaries (at my current firm). The interview went well, and they had me back for a second round, along with 10 of the original 25-30 job candidates. The second round went well also, and I was interviewed for a third time, along with one or two other candidates. At that point, I was cut.

Fast forward one year, and I found that they were looking for an associate with one year's experience. I faxed my resume and information, and reminded them of my prior interviews. I received a warm email back, and when I responded by phone, we arranged an interview for today. The call occurred yesterday, so it seems like they want to rush this through.

Positives: (i) Their pay is similar to this firm, so I won't be taking a cut. (ii) They want someone who can handle their own cases, which I've done and want to do in the future. (iii) They already know me, and apparently like me. (iv) I know at least one reason why I wasn't hired in the first place. One guy questioned my 'passion' for the law. I can't blame him, since I sometimes clam up in interviews. But now that I know this, I'm going to do my best to counter-act that opinion.

Negatives: (i) When talking about my current situation to the partner of the new firm, I kinda flubbed the whole laid off thing and told her that I'm looking to move on. I think honesty may've been better. (ii) The pay won't be much better, and the hours will be longer by about 2 hrs/day. (iii) I haven't told them that I will need 2 wks off to get married and an additional day for my bachelor party [I'll have to come up with a different excuse other than a bachelor party though].

There you have it. Overall though, I'm thinking it is a great thing. If I can get the job and start early, I can tell this place to shove it up their ass...in nicer terms.

On the poker front, I took some hits in Omaha PL. I need to avoid that game. I also lost a bit in .50/1 limit. Oh well oh well.

That's it folks. Keep reading and I'll keep writing.

Where are my Heads-Up Players? Come on people, you know you like the poker.

posted by Jordan @ 10:14 AM,

4 Comments:

At 11:15 AM, Blogger GaryC said...

Congrats on the job search, Just go in there and kick that ass in the next interview. Not sure which way to go, but honesty is not always the best policy.

Heads up challenge? If I draw Doubleas the first damn round, I'm gonna be pissed.

G

 
At 3:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good news.

"...I kinda flubbed..." is that a lawyer term for 'bluffed'

lol

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger TripJax said...

I'd like to hear some thoughts on if Omaha 8 OB is a winning game for anyone...

I want to play it more, but I don't want to just tread water...

Does blogrolling account for work. That's gotta be a good 2 hours of your day right? Gotta be billable to someone...

Hey when are you thinking of starting the Heads Up?

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger Mourn said...

Omaha/8 is an easily beatable game at the low limits online.

The best thing to do is to get a good solid foundation on the math and the correct starting hands. All of that can be found on the web.

A lot of hold'em concepts apply, especially position, but it is even more of a drawing game because of the number of people that will see the flop, especially at the lower limits.

If you're a .5/1, 1/2 or 2/4 holdem player and you have a good grasp of the game, it wouldn't take you long to learn O8 well enough to smoke the players at that level online.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home