Check It: DADI |

 




Let the Games Begin

It's official. DNasty13 and I are locked in mortal combat. A limit challenge has been proposed and accepted. Now all that is left to see who will be crowned the 2005 Limit Challenge Champion!

If you have been reading for a while, you may recall that about a month ago I picked up on something in DNasty's blog. DNasty posted a chart that was taken from DoubleAs's site, which was taken from someone else. The concept is as follows:

Start with a set amount of money. In this case, DN and I are starting with $50, as opposed to the $25 suggested by the original Limit Challenge spreadsheet. With $50, we start at .25/.50 limit table ONLY. Once the bankroll reaches $110, we can move up to the .50/1 tables. Then at $215 move to 1/2, $370 to 2/4 and so on. There are also drop-back levels. For instance, if I'm at .50/1 and drop to less than $100, I'm put back at .25/.50.

Now, personally, I think this will be good as a test in sustainability and profitability over time. It is also a test in discipline. There are a couple of potential difficulties, however.

First, I am ADD when it comes to poker. I change my game (SNG, low limits, NL, Omaha) ever couple of days. The challenge will require me to buckle down and play only one game consistently. I am almost tempted to open a new account on a different site so I can still play other games and not mess with my Limit Challenge Bankroll. Of course, the short-coming there is that such a move will cut into my Limit Challenge time. We will see how this plays out.

Second, I am currently on Noble Poker (online poker serial monogomist that I am), and NP offers a 100% bonus that is based on the limit you are playing. Starting at .25/.50 will slow down that progress. But this is something I will just have to accept.

Third, I have been running cold on limit, especially at low limits. I've been playing limit for a couple of days in preparation, and it has not been going well. In fact, I think my Noble bankroll may have dipped below the $50 mark. If that is the case, then I'll have to start a new account elsewhere just to start the Challenge. I am seriously considering entering money at Ultamite Bet, the favored site of DNasty. This way we can potentially play the Challenge at the same table here and there. This might be the best move, so I can start with a clean $50. The only shortcoming I can see is that I have read (and only read, never tried) that UB has quality players. Hopefully, that is not the case at the .25/.50 tables.

So, that is it for now. I am looking forward to the Challenge. It is set to last for 6 weeks, starting on Monday, May 30th (when I will be at a wedding, thereby giving DNasty a head start). At the end of the 6 weeks, Sunday, July 10th, DNasty and I will compare bankrolls and see who came out the winner. If either of us bust out before then, the other player is the default winner. The prize, a cool $25. Okay, it won't break the bank, but it is just to keep things interesting.

Stay tuned, as I hope to update my Challenge standings often, starting Monday. Thanks for reading.

Life is like a starting hole card, you never know what you are going to get.

posted by Jordan @ 8:56 AM,

3 Comments:

At 10:08 AM, Blogger STeelerJosh said...

Go Get Em!! I am doing the limit thing also. I have been doing it by myself, not as a race but as a test for all the reasons you posted. It has been good so far and I am at $119, time to make the jump. 50-110 have been pure profits at the .25/.50 limit tables on UB and 9 from NL. Will be interesting to see how the next level goes. Good luck and may the suckouts be in your favor. They happen a lot at the low limits.

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Jordan said...

Steeler:
Its good to see that you are doing well with the Challenge. Good luck! Your last sentences about suckouts have me concerned. Last night, I was practicing, and I faced suckouts left and right. I guess luck will play a large factor, but it always does.

 
At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with this. I could envision doing this at the microlimits and then getting frustrated with my 3rd straight beat when I was a favoriteon all streets except for the fifth, and tossing my laptop against the wall.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home