Check It: DADI |

 




For Shame

Last night I played the 9:15 PLO tourney and then the 9:45 $75 Token Frenzy. Neither went particularly well. I jumped into the PLO late, donked off 1/3 of my stack, made a comeback to have more than my starting stack and then just gave it all away. It was a brutal hand in which I flopped a boat from the SB with K9xx on the KK9 board. I decided to check it since there were at least 6 players in the hand (I think closer to 8). I obviously was hoping to set up a check-raise, but everyone else checekd and we saw the turn, a 4. I bet out this time about 2/3 of the pot or more, hoping that it looked like I was taking a stab at the pot after everyone checked the flop. The only caller was the cutoff player (the button had folded). Until he called, I was a little upset at getting no action. The river was an Ace and I bet out about 2/3 of the pot again. He reraised me about 1.5x my bet, a sum that, if called, would leave me with 1300 or so. I decided to push and he called with KAxx. He rivered me and I so knew it, but I just pushed anyway. Granted, I never considered folding the river, but I seriously considered just calling the raise. With 1300, I could've fought my way back into contention.

But that is nothing compared to how I went out of the Token Frenzy. I played my usual tight game until I tripled up with my AQ vs. AJ vs. 55. I was probably in a safe zone with 4800 or so in chips when I just gave it away. I think blinds were 100/200 and I raised from the button when it folded to me...with the Hammer (72o). The BB called. I then bluffed myself into oblivion after he hit two pair. I can't even give the blow-by-blow because just thinking about it makes me miserable. One of my key rules when it comes to playing the Hammer is to never go all-in (unless, of course, you flop a major hand). Still, I found myself pushing about 3k in on the river because I couldn't win the pot without betting. It was just plain aweful. In fact, I almost didn't want to write about it here because I didn't want to hear the mud slinging of the few douschebag readers who would rather read about a person playing perfect poker every hand. Sorry, guys, but I write about reality, and sometimes, that means writing about my sub-optimal play or posting questionable hands. At least no one can accuse me of only posting about my wins.

Even though the Token tourney only costed me $15, it really stuck in my craw. In fact, it was the first thing I thought about this morning, as soon as I woke up. That's a classic sign of a poker hangover.

It won't stop me though. I won't be playing any live poker until some time next week, so online poker will have to tide me over. At least maybe I can gain redemption tonight.

Until next time, make mine poker!

posted by Jordan @ 10:09 AM,

2 Comments:

At 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://jgoat.blogspot.com/2009/06/one-hand-at-time-004-hammer.html

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Dawn Summers said...

Yo, let's plan this Mohegan sun/foxwoods trip...first weekend in august?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home