Check It: DADI |

 




A Polar Bear in the Fortress of Solitude!

I had a sorta first yesterday, poker-related, blogging-related, but not directly related to either. For all of my exhibitionist blogging, I am a rather private individual when it comes to real world interactions. A part of me likes to compartmentalize my social circles. I have people at work who I enjoy, but don't necessarily plan (or desire) to see them outside of the work setting. I have friends from college who I woudn't mix with friends from high school, and friends from law school who are all but quarantined from the rest of my social circles. It's nothing intentional or malicious. I just don't like worlds colliding (Jerry) unless the situation is appropriate.

And then we have blogging. From blogging, I've met and come to know a slew of fellow poker playing writers from around this great nation. (I include Canada as part of the United States as a courtesy to my Canadian bretheren). However, I have always been wary of openning my real life and my poker blogging life to each other. Most people in my real life d0n't read or know about the blog and no bloggers, with the exception of a couple of New Yorkers, have seen my apartment (or met wifey Kim).

Yesterday, after a long day of work, I got a phone call and text message from 23Skiddo. He was in town for an emergency meeting and wanted to see if I was free for dinner and/or poker. Jamie from the Wall Street Game was hosting a tournament, and Skidoo was able to get a seat.

Long story short, Skidoo and I met up downtown for dinner, where we killed the strongest Margarita pitcher I'd ever drank. This thing tasted like straight up tequila to me, but I needed a cocktail after the long day. By the time we finished the meal, we were both fairly drunk, with some time to kill before the next WSG tournament.

So, what to do?

Ok, it might not be a big deal to most, but to kill time, Skidoo and I stopped by my apartment in the city. That's the first I mentioned. Sure, Dawn and, I think, Alceste, may've been there before (or was it F-Train) for a homegame three years ago, but I had never had a blogger from outside of the NY area in my fortress of solitude.

After hanging for a half-hour or so and upping the overall state of inebriation, we stumbled over to Jamie's apartment where the first game was still going. Skidoo handles his drink well. He was actually hanging at a nearby bar before we met for dinner, so whatever I had drank, he had drank more. Still, he was fairly composed, whereas I was a fool, or so I felt. The game was in full swing and there was no room for me in the second game, but I decided to hang around for a few. Idle hands are the devil's plaything, though, so rather than passively watch the game, I took up the dealer's spot when a player busted and sped up the action.

Dealing drunk is fun stuff. I had a good grasp of the action, and thankfully, there were enough people sitting around to correct me the few times I dealt to busted players. Still, in my inebriated state, I couldn't help but feel like it was my fault when a couple of suckouts came. I didn't say anything, but I remember internally apologizing to Wendy, who was on the receiving end of a few of the uglier hands I dealt. I remember moving the action cleanly and smoothing, announcing bets and so forth like a pro dealer. I'd seen enough pro dealers to do it in my sleep, so it wasn't too difficult. I also remember announcing to the table in the middle of one hand that I was a bit drunk. That got some subtle reactions, mostly because I am sure it explained my extra gregariousness.

Down to the final two players, a chop was arranged. I stood up, free from my dealing duties, and said my goodbyes to everyone before heading out of the apartment. After all, I was just there to "drop off" Skidoo and say hi to the crew. It's a 5 minute walk from my apartment so the travel was easy.

On my way out, Jaime thanked me for stopping by and dealing. I responded, "Nah, thank you. It's good to have a game close by where it can be fun just to stop by and say hi to the table." It's true, too. Over dinner, Skidoo and I pontificated on the community of poker bloggers. It is amazing how people who had such disparate experiences could share such common values.

So, no poker for me last night. I was tempted, drunk and home, to play online, but then I remembered that online poker sucks. The biggest problem about not playing online as much is having less material for this here blog. But, the benefit is that I'm not wasting time or money on something that is little more than a video game to me. I don't mean to harp on the topic of why online poker sucks. I think I've done that enough over the last few weeks. I just sorta miss the content, even if I don't miss the habit.

Once again, I am reminded of the positives of poker blogging. It's introduced me to a slew of likeminded people, improved my game, and provided new opportunities to play in different environments.

Wifey Kim and I are already toying with our vacation plans for 2009. One thing I haven't told her is that I am toying with the idea of making a solo trip to Vancouver, home of bloggers like Fuel55 and Schaubs, to play some live poker and experience the local horticulture. I may even suggest a trip with wifey Kim to Atlanta, home of bloggers like Skidoo and Surflexus (is that right?). See, in Atlanta, I can probably pawn wifey Kim off on her friend who lives in the area, while I get my poker degeneracy on.

I may not be too much of an extroverted guy in person, but I will say that it is a pleasure knowing that wherever I go, there are likeminded people out there to offer some helpful local advice if not to meet up with. I've never been so glad as to have started a stupid poker blog three years ago.

Final thought, if anyone knows the inspiration for the title of this post, I'm very impressed. Drop a comment with your thoughts and if you are right, $11 is coming your way, preferrably via PokerStars.

Until next time, make mine live poker, but not online poker, even though it is more accessible.

posted by Jordan @ 11:10 AM,

11 Comments:

At 12:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The inspiration is from an old comic book - Doc Savage.
If i'm correct can I get it in Full Tilt $ cause thats where I play -

ThizzyMarley1 is my sn.

Thanks!

Jesse

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger Alceste said...

I have merely driven by the Fortress of Solitude without ever having entered. I believe it may have been F-Train and SoxLover who attended the home game (but I am sure I Had Outs has the answer).

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Pokerwolf said...

Sorry I can't make the Bash this year, Roomie. We'll have to do some prop betting when we play together in Vegas. You might even convince me to play some Chinese Poker too.

Have fun this weekend and knock one back for me!

 
At 2:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The title is fron Bush giving secret service protection to real polar bears.


justg613 on stars.

 
At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought it had to do with Superman and his Kryptonian crystals. But that is just my 2cents.

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

One of the producers didn't like his script to Superman and he wanted him to add all sorts of stupid shit into it. Like say, Braniac fighting a polar bear in the Fortress of Solitude.

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ah, Yes... and evening with kevin smith...

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger Dawn Summers said...

Sure, Dawn and, I think, Alceste, may've been there before (or was it F-Train)

hahahaah...indeed, it was F-train back in the days when he played poker.

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger 23skidoo said...

What may even be more enlightening is the fact that it didn't even occur to me that it would be awkward to have me see your place...or maybe I was just drunk.

Either way, I appreciate the hospitality and look forward to reciprocating.

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger KajaPoker said...

ATl is home to many, many bloggers including 23ski, surf, brainMc, weak_player, kurokitty, aposec and several others I might be forgetting right now. But the best reason to come to ATL is Kajagugu. That guy will host a game in your honor. And oh, by the way, he's fuckin' awesome.

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger KajaPoker said...

I second the ATL motion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home