Check It: DADI |

 




The Leak: World Cup Fever

Man, I'm loving this World Cup! I first started watching in 1994 (I believe). Even then, my buddies and I would gather in my living room and immediately exchange bets. I didn't know much about anything then, and I still don't know much, but soccer was/is exciting, and betting wasn't too hard either.

World Cup bets are just naturally easier for me. This is primarily because we are dealing with national teams instead of local teams that trade players. Brazil is a soccer nation and the USA is not. Germany has top players and who the hell knows what's going on in Poland.

With that in mind, let's go through today's recap. I placed bets on all three games, and while I lost one bet, I'm still ahead.

Korea beat Togo, 2 to 1, even though Togo was the favorite. Fortunately, the distant memory of Korea's top 4 finish last year, the Korean's great run during the winter Olympics (not soccer, but athleticism and training is displayed nonetheless), and the fact that I thought Togo was a take-out sandwich shop made this a great last minute pick for me. I placed $10 and won $14 or so. Nice!

France tied with Switzerland. I should've known the fucking French would just give up. Mark my words, if I ever bet on France again, you can all personally kick me in the nuts. I bet about $28 and lost it.

Brazil beat Croatia, 1 to nil (that's soccer-speak for 0). No surprise here. I placed a second bet on Brazil after France's loss to try to recover some. They came through for me, netting $20 profit.

Tomorrow, I've already placed my 2 wagers of the day. My picks are $57 on Germany to kick some Polish ass. They did it in WWI. They did it again in WW2. You know, this reminds me of a joke. A Polish guy walks into the bar, holds out his hand and says, "Hey guys, look what I almost stepped in!" I didn't say it reminded me of a funny joke.

In addition, I've decided to speculate, and threw down $10 to win $10.30 on Ukraine over Spain. Ukraine only needs to tie for me to win. After today's French game, it really sunk in how a tie is not only possible, but at times likely. Spain and Ukraine seem to be relatively even teams (after all, Ukraine is the underdog and they are only paying $10.30 on the wager), so I'm hoping for a tie. I'd be happy with a win.

One last thing. On the advice of some expert comments (thanks guys), I've also put money on the Mavericks getting 4 points against the Heat tonight. I would've thought that the Mavs would be giving 4, but I guess it is a Miami game, so that probably factored in. Of course, I know jack shit, so don't listen to me!

posted by Jordan @ 4:58 PM,

4 Comments:

At 8:41 PM, Blogger Littleacornman said...

They won one nil.Drop the "to" ;-)
Great stuff J.GL with the bets tmw.

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Eric a.k.a. Bone Daddy said...

Hey Jordan, It would be great if you could make it to Foxwoods, I'll look for you, the guy carring a rifle, at the event.

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Jordan said...

It's an AK-47, but I'll probably leave it in the car. When is this Foxwoods thing? It's not until November, right? And is it for anything specific?

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger MrGoss said...

Your welcome on the Mavs tip. Sorry I didn't get back to you on the over/under.

Look for more of the same on Thursday night. Dirk gets off after missing the FT and scored 35. Wade gets held to 22 and Jason Terry hits 25 as the sleeper. Mavs win in the 97 to 86 range.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home