Check It: DADI |

 




Odds and Ends

I must make this quick. I was thinking about skipping the tourney yesterday because of my grandmother. I didn't do it though. As a result, when I returned from my class, I rushed to the computer to take over for Roose, my stand-in. I played with focus. Fiance Kim was a little upset when she hit the sack that I was still at the comp. I think I played for mostly one reason. Poker allows me to block out the things around me, for better or worse. I'm a thinker. My pledge name in my fraternity was Playdoh, half a riff on my boyishly round head with then-dyed-blond-hair and half because of Plato the philospher. The philosopher part came first. (Note: I used to tell the girls they called me Playdoh because no matter how much you play with me, I won't get hard.) Well, poker helps me dampen out all of the things around me. It relaxes me, while cranking up the adrenaline, if such a thing is possible.

I didn't have to think about the loss when I found out yesterday. I was concerned for my mom, and at the office, and had to go to a mandatory class afterwards. As time is wearing on, I'm thinking about it more. It's sad. But this is life. I just hope that she was happy before she passed. Happy and accepting. I know when it is my time, I want to be able to smile at the fun I've had. I want to be able to accept that death is part of life, and should not be feared. Hell, I don't even know if I want to be mourned, per se. I want to be cremated rather than stuck in a box in the ground. I don't want money spent on my husk of a body. But my mother, whom I love dearly, wouldn't have that. God forbid I pass, she wants to be able to visit me. And cremation isn't exactly Jewish (not that this is a heavy factor for me or mom).

Well, I guess this wasn't what I intended to blog about. What I wanted to mention was that I'm actually looking forward to the completion of the Heads Up Challenge. Gcox v. TripJax in an all out battle for HU supremacy.

I have a proposal to all comers. I am willing to make a side bet for $25 that Gcox will be victorious. I called Gcox to win this thing a long time ago, and I'm sticking to my story. I particularly invite other members of the HUC to take up my side bet (I am offering it to the first taker, though). Trip has a solid record (9-3 to GCox's 7-3) and even beat G twice already. If a member of the HUC is interested, then leave a comment. The loser will pay the winner's entry fee to the HUC (i.e., will send the $25 to the ultimate winner on behalf of the side-bet winner).

Any takers?

posted by Jordan @ 11:14 AM,

13 Comments:

At 11:49 AM, Blogger GaryC said...

Can I take the side bet?

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Jordan said...

Haha. No, you can not. I know you, G. You'll throw the competition just to get the $25 side bet.

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger GaryC said...

Me? Throw a competition? Haha, not a chance. Me? Donk off all my money because I'm stubborn as hell. Thank you sir, may I have another.

My competitive side will be out in full force tonight and I thank you for the vote of confidence.

G

 
At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey J,

First things first, sorry to hear about your grandmother. God be with you and your family. On to the competition.....what kind of odds are you offering on TripJax? My husband says TripJax owns him.

MrsGCox25

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger TripJax said...

MrsGCox25...you had me at owned.

This is turning out to be hilarious. The pregame banter will prove much better than the actual Q 3 vs. Q 2 hands we end up playing to donk off all our money...

I'm nearing my first backer in MrsGCox25. Who else is with me?

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger GaryC said...

Ugh! It appears we have a traitor in our midst. I'll bet the little GCox25 would even wager on TripJax if she just had internet access.

I gotta hurry home tonight.

G

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger TripJax said...

Actually, little GCox25 has already text messaged Jordan to confirm her taking a side bet on yours truly.

Something tells me dinner is gonna be either very quiet or very loud at the GCox household!

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger GaryC said...

Damn, where in the hell did she get a cell phone? She's only 9.

Oh well, at least they are wagering where the smart money will be.

Perhaps an upset of epic proportions would win back their loyalty? No dinner tonight, except for Keystone Light, they are headed to the state fair. I saw enough rednecks last weekend at the lake to last me a year, so I won't be going.

G

 
At 4:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dad is a punk, and doesn't stand a chance against TripJax. Hell, pops couldn't heads-up his way out of a paper bag. He lies about his bowling scores too!

-Lil GCox

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger TripJax said...

LMFAO Lil GCox.

Damn G, advantage goes to you from the get go. You'll be in a quiet house with a beer in hand. Meanwhile, I'll have wifey to my right, boy to my left with some sort of loud toy, and girl yacking all over my keyboard (probably with a poo in da pants).

 
At 4:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daddy is gunna win! He liked the poker. Mommy says daddy look at too much pictures online and no poker anymore, so she be lonely. Me go vomit now.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

WHA?? Oh poker = poke her. Damn, Trip, teach your kid to spell.

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger TripJax said...

oh so true, oh so true

 

Post a Comment

<< Home