Check It: DADI |

 




The Leak: WSOP Prop Bets

Last year (and, I think the year before that), I had a great time making some WSOP prop bets with various bloggers and readers. Well, it's about that time again, so if anyone is interested in getting in some prop bet action with yours truly, drop me a comment or shoot me an email at HighOnPokr (leave off the last E for -EV) at yahoo dot compadre.

In the past, I have had a variety of prop bets and I'm willing to consider just about any prop you can imagine. However, I do have some basic guidelines.

1 I will not make any bets over $20. Why? Because I want to spread the wealth around over many bets, and quite frankly, this isn't a money making venture as much as it is an excuse to follow the action.

2. I will not take any bets under $5. Why? Because it actually takes a lot to keep track of these bets, and it's easier to send money via online poker sites when its $5 or more.

3. I will not necessarily take your action. Simply put, I want to make bets, but I won't just take any bet because you suggest it. BUT, I expect to accept way more than I reject.

4. Bets don't have to be for money, but I'd prefer it. Wanna bet a banner ad in the sidebar or maybe the loser has to make a post extolling the virtues of the winner. Perhaps the loser has to buy the winner a poker-themed t-shirt or send the winner a used poker book. All's good to me.

5. I will not accept any prop bets that cannot be confirmed from an official news source (read: PokerNews or whoever is doing the daily coverage). Last year, I made a bet on who would win the lime-throwing contest between Pauly and Otis. I chose Pauly and as far as I was concerned, I won. But my opponent had it in his head that we bet only on their first lime toss or maybe it was that he read somewhere that they broke even. Whatever. All I know is, I don't want that to happen again, so we are only betting on things that can be easily confirmed by the poker media, individual blogs not included.

So, here are a few ideas:

Total number of Main Event entrants. This can work one of two ways. Either you can choose a number and I'll choose the over or under, or I can choose the number and you can choose the over or under. Either way, I'm going to win. Yep. Mad skillz.

Most cash won. This can be done with individual players (you choose one, I choose one) or by teams (you choose 3 players, I choose 3 players). We can choose teams of any size, but I wouldn't want to go higher than 5 and I'd prefer 3. It's the magic number! Of course, we must confirm whether we are going to count the cashes cumulatively amongst team members or score based on the individual team member with the highest cash won.

Most final tables or bracelets. This one is actually VERY different than most cash won, even though it seems so similar at first glance. Also, the betting can be done in a different way. Instead of $X to the player/team with the most final tables or bracelets, we can put a price tag on each table/bracelet. Also, final tables can be worth $X and bracelets $Y. For example, you and I both choose three players each. If a player gets a final table, it is worth $5. If they win the tourney, its $20 (not $20+5, but just $20). At the end, we'll tally it up. I don't mind paying out more than $20 (i.e., multiple bracelets), but I don't want any individual bet to be over $20. Makes sense?

Last Longer bets. You name the event (main event is usually the most common) and how many players each team gets.

Big Pool Prop Bet. This one will be a first for me, and I'm just making it up as we go. Just about any of the bets above, except for the ME attendance bet, can be done amongst multiple people. It may be fun to do a big pool where each participant will put up a set amount of cash (likely $20) and we draft players for either a ME last longer, most final tables, most bracelets, or most cash won. If we do this option, I'd have to collect the money in advance. But, if you are interested in that idea, let me know and I will set up an interest list. Include your email or a way for me to contact you. You can leave it in the comments or email me. I left my email toward the beginning of this post, but always feel free to use the Email tab at the top of my page.

So, there you have it. I have some ideas, but I'm open to others. If you are interested in a prop bet, let me know.

One final thought: A hearty congratulations to Buddy Dank and Joanada on their engagement. I have had the good fortune to spend some time with both of the happy couple and I can say with utmost sincerity that they are not only good people in general, but good for each other.

Until next time, make mine poker!

posted by Jordan @ 4:25 PM,

8 Comments:

At 6:31 PM, Blogger Ingoal said...

Prop Bets...I like! Enjoyed the ones we made last year, although it was a little disappointing that it ended in a wash...anyway...

I'll start things off with my 4 prop bet offers:

1. Main event entries...set the line and I'll choose the over/under...$5

2. Pick your Horseys...I propose that we both pick three players, most combined bracelets win (single wager 10$).

3. Pick the WSOP player of the year...$5

4. Pick the unluckiest S.o.B.! Definition: the player which bubbles the most events (wager void if numerous players share the number (e.g. ten players - 1 bubble))...10$

Let me know what you think about the bets and if you want to accept one or more of them and we'll work out the details (e.g. picks)...transfer via PokerStars preferred...heeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaw!

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger BWoP said...

I'd be interested in the pool. You have my contact info :-)

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Joanada said...

Thanks so much! We really appreciate it!!!!

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger junkbutton said...

I'd be interested in the pool.... gutterrock at gmail dot com...

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger APOSEC72 said...

I'd be interested in a poll too - aposec72 AT gmail DOT com

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger CEMfromMD said...

I will be interested in getting in the pool also, as well as doing an over/under for $10 on ME entries. You decide who sets the line. Email me at chip underscore moser at comcast dot com

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

Accepted, Ingoal. I don't have your current email, so leave me yours or hit me up with an email at HighOnPokr (no E) at Yahoo and we can work out the details.

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Ingoal said...

Well...easy...ingoal@gmail.com ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home