Check It: DADI |

 




You're Unlucky? Great! I Call!

I had an old hand sitting around in my Blogger account waiting for some discussion, and now seems like the time. This hand was from last Friday's Donkament, a $1 rebuy tournament, where it is almost an unspoken rule to pay uber loose aggressive with the hopes of chipping up big, rebuying as much as possible, and tilting your fellow opponents. I was on a nice tear, probably at 1st place with 11k+ at the 25/50 level, still within the rebuy period. Hoy was having a tough time in the tournament, losing just about every cointoss amd suffering from a string of suckouts. One thing is certain; if you are going to have bad luck, a $1 tournament is the place to have it. Still, Hoy was lamenting his situation in the chat box and pointing out to everyone how absurdly bad his luck was.

I've had my own string of bad luck before. At times like that, especially live, I just want to bitch and moan to whoever will listen about how unlucky/carddead I am. I want to do this because, frankly, I just have problems keeping it in. Part of me wants to justify to the rest of the table that I don't actually suck. Part of me just wants to complain to release some of my internal frustration. But whatever the case, I've learned one thing about complaining about bad luck: Complaining about bad luck, attracts bad luck.

Let's go to the hand for an illustration:

I have 11k+ and Hoy has a little over 2k. UTG+1, I'm dealt 45c. UTG folds, and I limp. Everyone folds to Hoy in the SB, who pushes all-in. The BB folds and I have what would usually be an easy decision. In most instances, this is a no-brainer fold. However, this is the donkament, I'm a big stack, and well, here is the quote right before I hit call, "HighOnPoker: lets test your theory on your bad luck." Hoy had K6h, which (again) would not generally be a pushing hand, but the fact still remained that he was, as expected, easily ahead of a lowly 45c. Still, I turned a 5, and he didn't pair the board and I took down the hand.

Obviously, this is an atypical hand because of the entire tables' willingness to gamble. Still, the fact remains that when you draw attention to your bad luck, other people will tend to adopt your viewpoint. They'll call you down more, or re-raise, all with the thought that you are in fact unlucky. When they suck out on you, and they will eventually suck out on you now that they are not folding to unlucky ole you, it will just reaffirm the tables' opinion that you are so unlucky, they have to call all of your bets. Usually, by now you are playing looser to make up for your unlucky losses, thus creating the perfect "bad luck" storm, where you overplay cards and they over-call you.

If anything, its the opposite of the lucky guy. I'm sure you've been at a table where someone has gotten extremely lucky (maybe a bunch of premium hands in a row, holding up for big pots of a guy who hits every flop, etc.) and then continues to run over the table. Amazingly, a lot of players fear the "lucky" player moreso than the skilled player. And on that note, I highly recommend building the image of a luckbox. It can actually be quite useful.

Until next time, make mine poker!

posted by Jordan @ 6:29 PM,

1 Comments:

At 9:39 AM, Blogger Alan aka RecessRampage said...

Exactly why I kept lying to my opponents in the HUC5 about how "unreal the cards I'm getting" are.

LOL @ perfect "bad luck" storm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home