Check It: DADI |

 




Jordan Won $50,000

...but its the other Jordan.

When I first read about Jordan placing 6th at the PokerNews Main Event, I was absolutely floored. A week prior, Jordan and I were IMing. He was gearing up for the event, and he seemed elated just to have the opportunity to play. I wished him well and contemplated offering him a few bucks to buy 5% or so of his action. My accounts have been really low though, so I didn't ask.

Jordan's win is a win for all bloggers. I, personally, feel a swell of pride whenever I read about one of our crew succeeding in this game. Jordan's win was no different. I am entirely impressed. Seeing a friend and fellow blogger win just wets my appetite for poker. It reminds me that the brass ring is real. And it reminds me that the blogging community is a class of poker player above the rest.

Beyond all of that, I would also like to underscore the another great part about the blogging community. About a month back, blogger Kajagugu won himself a tourney awarding him a trip to Australia and entry into the PokerNews Main Event...an event he ultimately realized he could not attend. Kaja knew that Jordan was in Australia because of the blogs, and Kaja arranged, with some assistance from Pauly and the folks at PokerNews, for Jordan to take the seat.

So, cheers to Jordan for his amazing win, and cheers to the blogging community for making it happen.

Last night I played a little $100 max NLHE on Full Tilt. I was doing fine until I lost a pot that took my profit and about $35 of my starting stack. A player at the table typed something into the chat box. He clearly did not understand my aggressive play in the prior hand. My opponent was shortstacked, and once I had a nut flush draw and a weak pair, I figured it was worth pushing to either win the hand outright or take my chances from behind if my opponent called. My opponent did call, with a ten-high flush, but my nut flush draw didn't come and I lost. After the other player made a comment (something akin to celebrating my loss or the other guy's win), I got really annoyed. I didn't like the way the table was going. Having lost a hand to overaggression, I knew that I'd have to tighten up to win money, but I also knew that I was tilting. I decided to sit out and either go to another table where my image was clean or sign off entirely. I opted for the latter.

By quitting, I was ensuring that I would not chase my loss. I was also avoiding the negative table image that often comes with losing a bad hand. And finally, I was avoiding chat-induced tilt. But I still have to wonder why the other player would say anything. It amazes me to this day that players will criticize a losing player at the table. You want to encourage those losing players to stay put. I understand the benefit of tilting a person, but there is a very thin line between tilting your opponent and scaring them off. I left because of my own reasons, but that douschebag easily gave me the final reason to walk. If he really thought I was a donkey, he should've kept his mouth shut.

Until next time, make mine poker!

posted by Jordan @ 8:52 PM,

7 Comments:

At 1:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like getting caught chasing hands for a small loss as many times it sets up big wins down the road.

At $100 max you can still fire off a big bluff and show it to piss them off. And if you ever do get a monster and they catch a small piece they will definitely pay you off.

Bottome line, it's always a good sign to get up if there is ever any doubt. Usually that is money saved.

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

Thanks for the comment, Don. In this case, I could feel myself annoyed at the player who made a comment. He made another comment earlier too. I wasn't 100% in the right mindset to play in the first place. I am a big fan of walking away when it feels like things are not going my way. In some instances, I can lose the same hand and be fine with it, but at this table, I felt it put me at a disadvantage. Add the fact that I wasn't in the right mindset in the first place and leaving was definitely the right move for me personally.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger CzechRazor said...

Showing down a marginal hand or a total bluff works for your long-term table image at stakes way above $100 NL, too.

You can still get it to work at 5-10 NL and 10-20 NL over a period of 10,000+ hands. Maybe higher - I haven't gone past those yet.

Getting caught as a chaser is alright I guess, but showing a bluff is way better. That way your value bets will get paid off a lot more often.

You'll be value betting far more often than calling as a slowplay attempt.

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger KajaPoker said...

This whole story with JL514 still blows my mind. What a chain of events, links and coincidences had to align perfectly for all this to happen.

And above all, what an amazing run by the kid? Amazing!

 
At 6:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's no "s" in douchebag

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

Thanks, Spelling Douchebag!

 
At 12:53 AM, Blogger Jordan said...

Thanks for the post, J. Linked you up as well, really appreciate all the positive vibes that come out of the blogger community. It's a place I'm definitely happy to be a part of.

Thanks again

 

Post a Comment

<< Home