Check It: DADI |

 




Prop Bets and Chess

I'm getting my ass whooped in a slew of Chess games as part of my Poker Blogger Chess Challenge. Essentially, me and five other bloggers (technically, four bloggers and Matty Ebs) are in a Round Robin tournament for $10 per person, with the winner taking $50 and 2nd place taking his money back. I'm pretty sure that I am soundly in last place, not having won a single game so far. In fact, I think I just screwed myself with one of my remaining games, moving my piece before thinking it through. I guess in that way, it is a lot like poker, and I know that at least one participant has said that playing Chess has helped his poker game. Que sera. It's all about having fun and doing something different, so the $10 was well worth it.

But let's celebrate instead of focusing on the Chess. How so? By discussing Jordan's Amazing WSOP 2007 Prop Bets! As you may recall, I made various prop bets with a slew of bloggers and (once again) Matty Ebs and overall, came up winner. Let's recap (and consider this a reminder to the LOSERS to pay up via Full Tilt to HighOnPoker, chumps!).

MeanHappyGuy- Brandon Schaefer and Carl Olson vs. Carlos Mortensen and Phil Ivey ($5/final table, $15/bracelet).

Sorry, MHG, but I guess being a Name Brand whore paid off for me this time. While Carl Olson seemed to have a good run at the beginning of the Main Event, he sure as hell didn't final table it or any other events. Same goes for Mr. Schaefer. Luckily, Ivey was kind enough to final table one tournament, netting me $5.

Unimpressed- Phil Hellmuth and Joseph Hachem vs. Mortensen and James Van Alstyne ($1 final table, $5/bracelet). In our Over/Under bet, I chose Under 7592 Main Event participants ($5).

I was Impressed with Unimpressed's picks, and chose against my better judgment to allow his Hellmuth pick. Alas, that didn't work out for me, since Hellmuth won a bracelet, but at least his naivete as per the Main Event numbers (I believe he overestimated the 2006 total) worked to my advantage, leaving us EVEN. Good game, Unimpressed.

Bayne- Jeff Madsen and Tim West vs. Mortensen and Raymer ($5/final table, $10/bracelet).

Choosing Raymer was a godsend for me, since he final tabled two stud events. Alas, West and Madsen returned a fatty goose egg for Bayne, netting me $10 for my troubles.

Matty Ebs- Ferguson and Negreanu vs. Mortensen and Raymer ($5/final table, $10/bracelet). I took the Under 5840 for $5.

Once again, Raymer hooks it up with his two final tables. Negreanu, however, matched that feat and Jesus made a final table as well. I also lost the Over/Under bet, for a -$10 loss. Good thing Matty Ebs hasn't paid me for his Chess entry yet. Freeroll, my friend.

In total, I ended up with $5 profit. SWEET! This must be how Jerry Yang felt.

Until next time, make mine poker!

posted by Jordan @ 3:37 PM,

7 Comments:

At 6:05 PM, Blogger CJ said...

Hmmm... I guess that means my two chess victories over you don't amount to a hill of beans ;-)

If any of the other players wish to challenge me, my chess handle is Luckbox

 
At 6:47 AM, Blogger Joe (aka Unimpressed) said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 6:48 AM, Blogger Joe (aka Unimpressed) said...

Um.. EVEN? I believe you LOST our pop bet! I WANT MY ONE DOLLAR! OK, not really. But at least admit you lost! Even, my ass! I'll admit right before the Main Event, I was getting a little giddy that they might go over. The #s were there throughout the WSOP, but basically that seems because the people who one the 12K at various sites, were only willing to play the smaller events. Oh well. Good times.

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger MHG said...

Congrats grumble grumble

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Schaubs said...

Yeah don't you win both prop bets if your guy wins a bracelet?

I agree, Chess has helped my game as well. The more I play, the more I am able to think further ahead and consider "what does he think I think I will do next?" and so on.

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

Unimpressed, my bad. I forgot Phil's second final table.

And Schaubs, we already worked out the details on the bets, and it was $1 for a final table OR $5 for the win, as opposed to $1 and $6 (5+1).

 
At 1:23 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

You are a good guy, even for a lawyer. We will meet again, hopefully you won't be sucked out on like that again (grin).

Thanks for the stories and fun.

Just don't ever try to teabag me again!

Grin

Sean aka IT

 

Post a Comment

<< Home