Check It: DADI |

 




Ramble Ramble

I played the Hoy last night, but lost at the final table (only 13 players...). The big loss came after QQ was cracked by 22, but these things do happen.

Wait?! Did Jordan just say that he played poker online after his whole diatribe on quitting online poker?

Clearly, your reading comprehension skills are piss poor. I did say that I was quitting online poker, but I left myself a caveat. I'd still play the occassional blogger tournament, like the Hoy, and I'll allow myself the pleasure of playing online here and there. I'm just not going to get back into the same routine, and I'm certainly not treating it as a money-making venture.

Here's a question for all of you gamers out there. Can you recommend any PC games that are not MMORPGDFSAD or whatever that acronym is for the online games played with a multitude of people. It's not that I'm against those massive online games. It's just that I don't need to be making friends with people via an online video game. That's what I got poker for! So, I'm looking for games that are one-player affairs, and preferably strategy games that don't require a controller/joystick. With that said, if someone can recommend a worthy controller/joystick for a laptop setup and a game worth using it, then I'd reconsider.

Yes, vapid videogames will hopefully fill that void that online poker will be leaving. That and live poker, socializing with friends, spending time with wifey Kim, and eating my vitamins.

Meanwhile, I don't know when I'll fit some live poker in this week. Tomorrow is my firm holiday party, so that's out. Sadly, Wednesday is also the night for the Roose and I Had Outs home games, so alas, those will be missed this week. I can, however, head to the underground Salami Club for some poker. When I was there last, there was a bunch of new players, and when I asked how they found the place, they told me it was on Craig's list. That's a bad sign for privacy, but a good sign for weak-ass players. This group came with 5-6 guys, all of which played the $50+10 tournament, and none of which moneyed.

It's interesting playing live, because you get a whole other view of the players. Online, you can assume what you will, but I never think of the players' physical descriptions. I may think, "donkey scared player" or "young upstart kid" or "tight old guy" or "silly girl", but live, it's all right there for you. At Salami, at least, the most common descriptions is old action junkie, followed by young wannabe. Don't get me wrong though, there are some solid players. However, the ones I tend to notice are these characters, and it makes me wonder why someone such as myself would want to rub elbows with such characters. The answer, they bring money.

Yes, live poker is a lot more predatory as well, from my estimation (or, more accurately, from my experiences, as someone with a different skill set or mind set might analyze the situation a lot differently). Sure, online I'm happy to fine a really bad player and tag them, but I'm still just attacking LuckyDuck227 or a picture of a baby's head. Live, it's the scrawny kid with inappropriate amounts of money and big bawler style (which incidentally speaks to his insecurity moreso than his strength...strong means weak, biyatch!).

Speaking of live poker (and get used to it people, because it'll be happening a lot more here), I found myself focusing on a particular tell, thanks to some cursory readings of FBI behavior psychologists. Lips, people. Lips. Players are conscious of their faces, including their mouth, so I'm always looking to see if players are intentionally sending out false signals. Once an actor, always an actor. But a lot of people will tighten their mouths and pull their lips in when they don't like a card. They pucker with confidence when they are happy. So, if you see a guy tighten his lips when the Ace flops out, go ahead and bet him off of his hand. And if you see a girl pucker her lips, lay one on her you stud...and then, fold.

Blogging is definitely going to be different without online poker day-in and day-out. Truthfully, though, I've been short on fuel lately anyway. I've been preferring my long posts, rather than the daily hit n runs, likely because I don't mind rambling. Also, some in depth review or analysis doesn't hurt. My lack of online hand histories and therefore lack of You Decide posts hasn't been helping.

I think the Heads-Up Challenge is still going. I don't expect it to be done by the New Years, but that's what happens when you don't set firm dates people. Let this be a lesson to you all, but mostly to me.

I'm still intent on a blogger gathering in AC, even if its just me, Dawn and Karol. Dawn explained to me that one of the reason why the WPBT events aren't in AC is that there is no easy way to get there. Well, I suppose that is true, but it doesn't have to be an international affair. Even if it is just NE bloggers, I'd be happy. I'm just looking for likeminded people to hang and gamble with. And if some people want to fly into NY, I'd be glad to drive them the 2-3 hour drive to AC. But alas, I am not going to force anyone to go, so it might just be me, Dawn and Karol. At least I know we'll be playing lots of poker.

Work is sillibusy. That's a mix between silly and busy, and you can spread it to the world. Why sillibusy? Because its freakin' silly how busy I am. Daily, I get three new things dumped on my desk, all on a rush basis, to add to my pile of 12 other things in a rush. But, things are also going very well for me here. The boss man thinks I've got what it takes, and that's why I've been getting more responsibility. As it turns out, he's right to give me more responsibility too. I don't often say this here, but I'm a kick-ass attorney. If you don't believe me, just read my business card: "Jordan [last name omitted]. Kick Ass Attorney at Law." It replaces my old card, "Jordan [xx]. Hip Hop Attorney". Apparently, judges don't like when I kick it old school at Court. Holla!

Shiyit! I've had enough of this ramblin'. But first, my brother Clam David told me recently that one of his friends (besides Matty Ebs) reads this blog, but he couldn't remember who. Well, whoever it is, thanks for reading. Go Cougars Go! Er, or not. Whatever.

Until next time, make mine poker!

posted by Jordan @ 4:10 PM,

9 Comments:

At 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neverwinter nights and its sequel can be played single or multi-player and are my favorite retreat from the old click n' lose grind.

 
At 5:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Games:

• You asked about Gun. Gun is very cool. Profane as hell, bloody and a great single player game. It's not very long, and a few of the missions are stupid, but many of the side missions and the main mission is really fun, with an ending battle that was one of the toughest I've ever faced. Play on hard right away, however, or else you'll be bored. And it's probably cheap now.
• You played the Myth games right? They are years old but if you didn't you must. My favorites.
• Black was cool
• Half Life and Half Life 2.

 
At 7:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to play Myst. That's an awesome single player game.

 
At 9:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I highly recommend games you may have already played -- I picked up Command and Conquer: The First Decade for like twenty dollars and am having a ball with all the games I played through college and law school. Very easy on the computer system and no joystick required....

 
At 9:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Myst is cool has some graphics and makes you think.

Holly shit Jordan you are a good ass attorney you make some long as post like any good attorney would do.

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Pokerwolf said...

Get the updated version of "Sid Meyer's Pirates!". They took the old game, culled out the really slow and boring parts (like land assaults), upgraded the graphics and game engine, and created a broader story arc (which you don't have to follow if you don't want to).

It's AWESOME.

 
At 1:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Company of Heroes. Great ratings across the board. Besides MMORPGs and poker, the last game that had me this hooked was Starcraft.

Been playing for about a month and the 3rd level of cpu still whoops us. Played a bit against other players, mostly friends.

Hoping to place in Hoy's Pick'em league to get some money for some of the ol' weekly's I haven't played in forever.

 
At 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stay away from World of Warcrack - it's one of those MMORPGOMGWTGBBQ games. I fell into that hole over the last year and finally rid myself of it.

As for those single player games, check out either Yahoo Games or Pogo.com for loads of fun single player games. Plenty to keep you occupied while you go thru online poker withdrawl.

 
At 10:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still like to go back to those Starcraft and Warcraft III type games... you can play against people online but the solo game is so cool.

I am getting a Nintendo Wii so I don't spend so much time playing poker when I can only bring my C game.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home