Check It: DADI |

 




Why I'm Not Crushing It

I received a comment from Raveen, a player whose stats, comments, and blog tell me that he is someone to be respected. The comment had some great things to say, and I'll repost them here for your pleasure:

You know jordan you seem to know the exact things on how to play limit poker profitably and it surprises me that your not crushing the limit games. I started at limit as well until i got bored of them. Seems like you know exactly what to do and have the necessary facets to do it but are just missing a little something....keep working im sure you will get there


First off, I love praise, so heap it on, buddy. Second, I'd like to address why I'm not crushing it at the tables. I do believe that I have a lot of what it takes to be a quality player. I'm naturally intelligent, with an IQ of 149 after I last checked. I understand games and gaming, and have performed well on logic puzzle-type tests, enjoy any sort of video or board game, and enjoy mental puzzles. I'm also competitive, although the usual route of competition, i.e. sports, have never been my strong point. At the core, I think I understand human nature and actions as well, but I have no reference point for that statement. Essentially, I honestly think I have some of the elements necessary to truly excel at the game. Here is why I'm not:

1. Sobriety. I have to admit that I spend an awefully large amount of my time playing poker while I am less than sober. Poker is a fun game, and I play it both compulsively and impulsively. This causes me to play less-than-optimally often enough to mess with my game and roll. In truth, I think this is one of my biggest leaks, and I will do my best to address it in the coming weeks and months.

2. Bankroll Size. I think that if I had a larger bankroll, these minor successes would be major ones. I'm up $1200 for the year so far (down from a high of $2400), but with a larger bankroll, those stakes would be higher and I confidentally believe that my results would be, for the most part, similar percentage wise, and larger $-wise.

3. Luck. I play well and I boost the roll, but then I go through a month or two of horrible beats or card dead bad luck. It happens to all of us. However, this is a loooooooooong term game, so in the short term it CAN happen to someone more than others. I'm not saying that I'm the most unlucky guy in the world. I will, however, say that in my short career, I've had at least two episodes where I could not win for a couple of months. That has been enough to keep me down, to a certain extent. My play may have also deteriorated during those tough times. I won't blame luck solely, and I point to 1 and 2, and 4 for that matter, for all those who say that I shouldn't blame luck. I don't blame luck, but I do acknowledge its presence.

4. Concentration. The bottom line is this: if you aren't giving 100% concentration to the game you are playing and someone else is, that someone else will have a step up on you. Plain and simple. I try to play with the TV off, my iPod on, and nothing to distract me. I try. But I don't always succeed.

So, that is why I am not kicking more ass. I'm sure my game could also use some refinement, but more than a few of you can attest that when I'm playing my A-game, I can do some serious damage. Unfortunately, the A stands for Apathy (because I believe in the environment, that joke was 100% recycled from a statement I made in the recent Mookie event; remember to recycle!).

Thanks for the kind words, Raveen. I still have confidence in myself and my abilities. Now I just have to fix a couple of holes and keep plugging away. Until then, make mine poker.

posted by Jordan @ 5:08 PM,

9 Comments:

At 6:24 PM, Blogger MHG said...

Not that I know you very well, but I think your happiness comes from a nice moderation. I'm the same way and just wrote a similar piece about how that love of moderation makes me who I am, but also takes away from my profitablity when it comes to poker.

I'd take a week of Poker, Hiking, Basketball, Boating, Softball, Drinking and spending time with loved ones over a week of poker, poker, poker, (etc.) any week of my life.

When I was younger I spent more time concentrated on one thing, primarily because I didn't have any responsibility. Now I do, and realize that moderation is what makes me happy. If that hampers my ability to crush the tables, so be it!

But I will still crush you. Heads up. $10,000. Bring it!

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

A high IQ and a huge dick.. no wonder you are so confident.

 
At 7:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it when people mention IQs!!

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

Mean, if you read here regularly, you know me fairly well.

Sir, I find that my huge cock doesn't help my game much, and in fact, makes long sessions of sitting uncomfortable.

Kip, the IQ is merely illustrative. But I'm glad you are so pleased by the mention of IQ.

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger C.L. Russo said...

Don't listen to czechrazor. You can get KILLED at limit and it can happen before you know it.

I agree that it is alot of math and the math is the secret between those who win and the donks, but you do better by paying attention to how your opponents are playing.

My win rate is higher the fewer tables I play.

I also agree that folding for half an hour is boring. Capping each round of betting with the best hand- FUN.

On the other hand, losing money gets old quick. Since I'm teh suck at no limit, I tend to lose interest after the 2nd or 3rd buy-in. So I guess it's all personal preference.

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Riverrun said...

Don't take this the wrong way but stop listing excuses!!!

You can justify your game all you want but it is not going to make you a winning player or turn around your bad streaks. You should post how you are going to proactively combat the 4 issues of why you aren't exceling and change your habits or you will never be a huge winner that you know you can be.

Issues 1 - 4 can all be taken care of over time, that way you will have nothing to hide behind and be forced to play your A game because you have no excuses left.

Good luck

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger C.L. Russo said...

Take it easy, czech. I state my opinions bluntly but I don't intend to insult.

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Jordan said...

I've tried to post a comment here twice. Here is my third go:

While I appreciate everyone's input, Riverrun is right. I apologize for this whiny-ass post. It came off as though I was justifying why I haven't been doing well lately. This is a waste of your and my time. I will think more before I click publish in the future. Let's chalk this up as a post gone wrong and move on.

Jordan

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

When in doubt, play H.O.R.S.E. with Drizz, he's easy money.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home