Wednesday, May 17, 2006
In his most recent post, TripJax offered a series of questions to his readers. I will answer them here. Check out Trip's post for more reader comments/answers.
1. What is the biggest mistake people make at a NL table? I'm going to offer two answers. The first is playing too scared. You have to be willing to be aggressive. The second, which is related, is playing outside of your bankroll. You are going to take swings, and you have to be able to live through them.
2. What is the biggest mistake people make at a Limit table? Playing Limit at all. Yuck yuck yuck! Actually, I'm going to say adjusting to table conditions appropriately. It's very easy to tighten up when players are loose, but sometimes you are better off loosening up pre-flop to hit your monsters and get paid off.
3. Why do you play poker? Because I can not Not play poker. I love the challenge, I love the game, and I love the fact that I can win money.
4. If you weren't playing poker, what would you be doing? Probably watching some bad television. Maybe doing some art.
5. What is your favorite poker book and why? Let's go with Caro's Book of Poker Tells, mostly because it is an interesting idea for a book and the pictures (from the 70s by the looks of the players) are hysterical. There is also a lot of good info in there, and many players haven't read it, as opposed to the Bible, Super/System.
6. Who is your favorite poker player and why? Hmm. I have a lot of respect for Phil Ivey because he is just so damn quiet and intimidating. I will never have the quietness, but I want the intimidation part.
7. Which poker player do you dislike the most and why? I don't really dislike any of them.
8. Do your coworkers know about your blog? Actually, one of them does. I came out of the Blog Closet last week. Let's hope the person knows how to keep things quiet. I'm confident that he/she can. (I use ambivalent words so that if the Powers that Be do indeed know about this site, no one else will be implicated.)
9. What is the most you have won in a cash game or MTT (both live and online)? In a cash game, I won $650 at a 1/2 table. In an MTT, I placed 4th/1008 and won $650 also.
10. What is the most you have lost in a cash game or in one day total (both live and online)? I have lost somewhere to the tune of $350 or so, I think, live on one day, but it was part of a several day trip that saw me lose over $500.
11. Who was your first poker blog read? The Intrepid Card Player, although he is no longer blogging.
12. What satisfies you more, your aces holding up for a big pot or a bluff working for a big pot? Always the bluff. It's easy with Aces. [insert copyright symbol here]
13. Why do you blog? Because of page rank. But really, because it gives me an opportunity to think and discuss poker when I am not able to play. As time has passed, it has also offered me a myriad of opportunities, like being invited to the All-In premeire party and meeting people to have a home game with. Those are the best perks to this hobby.
14. Do you read blogs from an RSS reader like bloglines or do you visit each blog? I visit each blog, because, mostly, I think it is more personal and I can get a feel for a writer's personality by the site's design.
15. Would you rather play poker for a living than do what you currently do for a living? Tricky one. My goal is to make the same amount doing both. Once a lawyer, always a lawyer.
16. Do you wear a tin foil hat on occasion? No, but I have a cowboy hat that I will not wear in public.
17. If you had to pin it down to one specific trait, what does a great poker player have (or do) that separates them from an average player? An innate intelligence. Broad enough for you?
18. Is Drizz the coolest person on the planet for naming his baby Vegas? Absolutely! I'm going to name my future kid Craps, and take the title of coolest person. Middle name will be Double-Zero.
19. What is your primary poker goal and are you close to accomplishing it? Primary? I guess to earn the same amount of money playing as I do working. I'm not close yet. Other goals are to win $2400 this year and to play in a WSOP event.
20. What is your primary online site and why? Noble/Titan, I guess. I move around a lot, but I've always liked their games.
21. What site do you dislike and why? TripJax.com, for making me waste time on this post. Oh, you mean online poker site? Hollywood Poker. They can SUCK IT! Why? Because I can't seem to win there.
posted by Jordan @ 1:50 PM,
- At 2:45 PM, TripJax said...
Sweet...I've made another "worst site" list. You'll have to get in line though, you're not alone in that thinking...
Thanks for answering biotch.
- At 3:18 PM, mookie99 said...
Good idea, I am gonna reply on my blog too...with props to Trip of course.
- At 4:57 PM, Guin said...
Love the idea of using double-zero as a middle name... coolest kid on the block!
- At 8:48 AM, DP said...
I dedicated a post to this on my blog -- thanks for the great question set Trip.
- At 9:42 AM, DP said...
Actually I removed that post and it's in draft mode, ready to be rolled out at a later date =)