Check It: DADI |

 




I'm Entitled

I don't know where people get off telling me that I am entitled and ungreatful merely because I post my opinion on why I, personally, will not play the PokerStars freeroll. I made it abundantly clear twice in the post and twice in the comments that (a) I do not expect anyone to follow my lead, (b) I do not look down on anyone accepting the offer, (c) free stuff is always good, (d) I like PokerStars' site and software, and (e) I play poker there regularly.

As sometimes happens, people project things onto a post and its author that just aren't there. This includes comments that state that my position demonstrates a sense of entitlement and being on a high horse. These same people ignore the fact that before they got all upset that I besmirched a bad offer, there were several people who agreed with me.

Plain and simple, I value my time. I am not interested in a freeroll event with poor prizes and a huge amount of players. If you choose to villify me, call me names, and throw around accusations, that reflects more on you than it does me.

As you are entitled to play (without me talking down to you), I am entitled to reject the offer and state so publicly. I am sorry if you disagree and feel that my rejection is a direct insult to you or a sign that I am to be ridiculed.

Until next time, make mine poker!

posted by Jordan @ 10:05 AM,

7 Comments:

At 11:36 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

"Poor prizes". "Not as good as Full Tilt or Bodog's offers".

This is where you sound entitled since all PokerStars ask is you cut and paste some code onto a website you use for free. No weekly tournaments, no point totals, just free money.

Had you just said "I value my time" then complained about the various qualifers/size of field being a bit much, people could respect that.

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

But what about the time and effort you spend on the way to the prize. What is your opportuniy cost in exchange to what you get?

I htink the key is the time and energy spent to get to where you need to make it worth your time.

Remember I spent hours and hours to be the 85th best poker blogger and got a Poker Stars bag, shurt, hat and deck of cards. I was excited to get those prizes . But right now my time is more valuable. I've pulled away from ventures that were -EV because the input of my time were not being valued. Now if I might have an opportunity to play I would, but I am passing on the Poker Stars tourney because my kids will be in town, and I value my kids more than 99.99% of poker tournaments in the world.

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

Drizz, stating that the prize is poor and does not compare to offers by competitors does not make me entitled. That's like calling someone "entitled" because they price-compare when shopping for a new car. It just makes no sense.

Both of those statements have to do with comparative value. FT and Bodog made offers I like, and in contrast, I don't like Stars' offer. The contrast is important, because it demonstrates that there are other companies in the same business that offer better deals to bloggers. This, in turn, demonstrates that Stars is not making some amazing unheard-of offer, because its direct competitors are offering better EV deals, plain and simple. Once again, you read into my post something that was not there and then chose to villify me by calling me "entitled." Your explanation makes no sense.

This idea that the freeroll is 100% free is a charade too. It is not free. It requires that you advertise for PokerStars.

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Littleacornman said...

Fwiw I liked your previous post on the Stars blogger game.It certainly gave me food for thought.

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Pokerwolf said...

Drizz, stating that the prize is poor and does not compare to offers by competitors does not make me entitled.

Actually, it does in a way, Jordan. You could say "That prize isn't worth my time." If you left it at that, then that doesn't sound very snobbish. But saying "that prize isn't worth my time. It totally sucks in comparison to these other prizes that I get"
can sound snobbish, especially when it's written in a venue where nuance and tone aren't very easily translated.

This idea that the freeroll is 100% free is a charade too. It is not free. It requires that you advertise for PokerStars.

The same goes for the prizes you like and the tournaments you play in, Jordan. Bodog gets free advertising because the people who play in the tournament talk about it and where they played. That's still advertising. This part of your argument has no legs.

 
At 7:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i really don't get what all the fuss is. A personal blog is simply an outlet for you to share your personal feelings about whatever it is that you feel compelled to write about. if people are silly enough to 1. get all worked up on an "opinion" piece, 2. misconstrue it, and 3. take it personally, do you really even need to waste your time justifying yourself?

as a faithful reader of HOP, i'm just glad you give me something to think during my unhappy times as a corporate slave.

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Dave said...

Jordan - I played in the 1st qualifying round on Monday and the pickin's were easy to get to the Finals. Plus I won a free Step2 ticket to play in another tourney. Ya, it isn't cash they're givin out but just entries into other tourneys. But hey, I'm doing it for the challenge not the cash. If I can qualify playing Omaha then anyone can win this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home