Check It: DADI |

 




The Gift of Gab

I am extremely busy at the office today, but I had to take 5 minutes out to post about yesterday's tournament at Salami. The last time I was there with 23Skidoo, Skidz and I chopped first and second place in the $60 re-register tournament (like a rebuy tournament, but you have to repay the fee too) for a tidy sum of dough. Dawn from IHO was there too, and she went out 4th, so among the few people I knew at the game (there may've been one other), bloggers took down 3 of the top 4 spots.

This time, it was me, Matty Ebs, and Skidoo, we placed 4th, 3rd and 1st, respectively. A hearty congratulations to Skidoo, who rocked the game and had a massive chiplead once we were four-handed.

I could go into detail about the game, but I really don't have the time. I played extremely well, except for a stupid play with the suited hammer. One hand, in particular, needs attention.

We were four-handed, and I was the shortstack with about 5,500 and blinds of 300/600, 50 ante. I was looking for a spot to push, and I was dealt K4d in the BB. At this point in the game, I had been playing tight for a while. I was hoping to use that to my advantage. With the decent blinds and antes, the pot was 1100 if it folded to me outright. However, Skidoo on the button, opted to limp while looking at me and saying rather nonchalantly, "He's just going to push anyway." He was right, too. I was planning on pushing. I figured he had position and a big stack, so his limping range was broad. I figured he'd fold rather than double me up, but if he did call, I might have two live cards, which was enough for me at this desperate point in the game. Matty Ebs folded in the SB and I checked in the BB. Why did I check? Because of Skidoo's comment. "He is just going to push anyway." It echoed in my head. If he knew I was going to push, then he knew that by limping, he'd need to have good cards. He'd also be likely to call me, even with not so good cards, because he already factored in the high probability (by his statement, a certainty), that I was going to push. I decided it would be better to see a flop. If I hit it, I can make my move. If I miss, I can fold.

The flop was TTK, a fantastic flop for me in this instance. I checked, expecting Skidoo to make a play. He checked too. The turn was another Ten. I believe I pushed all-in here. If I didn't, then I at least bet and then called a raise all-in, but from my sketchy recollection, I pushed. The logic was that it would look like an overbet bluff, and I could get paid off. When Skidoo called, I remembered hoping that he had Ace-high. I also figured him for a King, so we would chop. But what I said was, "Show me the ten." He did. JTo.

After the game, over drinks paid for by the very courteous (and flush with dough) Skidoo, I brought up the hand. He admitted that he made the "He is just going to push..." comment in order to get me to check. It worked, and the hand played out in his favor.

I have to say, I was impressed. I like table chatter, but that was a precise feat of verbal surgery he performed and the results translated nicely into cold hard cash. I give a lot of credit to Skidoo, and I thank him for that hand, because if nothing else, it made me aware of a new weapon, suggesting to a player (especially a shortstacked one) that you are expecting them to do a certain thing, so that they do the exact opposite. I suppose on some level it is rudimentary, but seeing it performed was fantastic, and definitely something I can see working on a semi-regular basis. After all, confronting a shortstack with their likelihood to push also implies your likeliness to call, and to an astute shortstack player, they will realize that much of the value of the shortstack push is to force folds and take the blinds.

So, kudos to Skidoo, who now officially owns Salami after beating the tournament in 2 out of 2 tries. Also, kudos to Matty Ebs for lasting until 3rd.

The HighOnPoker Poker Week Extravaganza commences tonight at a new homegame. I'll be attending the homegame of law school friend/acquaintance John R. It's actually held in some private club, I suppose akin to a country club of some sort in the city. The game is mixed, which is just up my alley, and the goal is to meet some new people and have a good time. I don't think I've ever mentioned the blog to John, so I'll do my best to keep it hush hush so I can speak freely about it here.

Saturday will be an afternoon of alcohol-induced tomfoolery courtesy of my younger brother's birthday. Sunday, wifey Kim is at a conference, so I'll be playing at NiceLook, assuming I haven't OD'ed on poker before then.

Until next time, make mine poker!

posted by Jordan @ 12:40 PM,

7 Comments:

At 2:59 PM, Blogger WindBreak247 said...

Wow. That was a hell of a "play" by him. Did you ask if he would've folded to your push? I'm assuming that he would've had to, otherwise he wouldn't have made the "play".

That's amazing. The outcome of the tourney was essentialy determined by nothing having to do with the cards.

I'm gonna have to try and keep that play in my back pocket.

Thanks for posting!

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

WB, he would've folded if I pushed. He played me! But at least it was a nice play.

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger TripJax said...

I'm jonesing for some live poker dude. I'm jealous of all this action you've been getting on the felt.

This is an absolute stupid question, but it is born from the fact I know little about NY/NJ, etc.

I wll be in Jersey City May 7 - 9 on business. Is that anywhere near you at all. Chances are I'll be booked solid with meetings and such, but if I can break away one of those 1st two nights, that would be nice.

Just wondering...

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Alceste said...

Trip - The Jersey City financial district is a 4 minute subway ride (or 10 minute ferry ride if you'd prefer) to downtown Manhattan.

 
At 7:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a remarkably talented high stakes player named The Gift of Gab who appears to be susceptible to tilt from the little I've seen of his play on Full Tilt Poker.

I thought this post might include something about him, but you are actually just talking about the gift of gab, only capitalized as a title. Go figure.

That said, I completely understand why you're better suited to live play, especially now that I'm finding it is one of my strengths as well. Online poker is more of a video game to me.

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Dawn Summers said...

As much as I'd like to take credit for Mary's success...she came in the third the last time skidoo was here and i went out tenth.

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger 23skidoo said...

Thanks for the props Jordan! I'll try to write out a trip report sometime this week.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home